aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,563written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
dark balls of sight Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
i'll ask elf girl romance what she her favorite food is and force her to carry 5 different lunchboxes and ask if she's eaten every 2 hours

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
noire Avatar
RP Confession: I love magic schools, but I never know how to make them without just being SoL
  • #1 prestige academy in the world and everyone goes there, even with a horribly conflicted world state that spills into the school?
  • It's not actually a "school" so much as a "training facility" and they're all in some kind of active training program? (( but then why a school and not just a - ))
  • Maybe the Dragon Age/The Magicians route, where magic has serious drawbacks and if you're not actively learning to defend yourself from demons, your degree will be awarded to a lobotomized vegetable?
  • is it bullies? are bullies the plot??

I can't with the "there are also supernaturals and people are shitty to them" takes

I guess there's always the argument that "this setting inherently leans itself to personal development and therefore doesn't need overarching turmoil — you get exactly as much plot as you bring to the table", but then that just doesn't feel satisfying to my political-intrigue loving ass

More aside, but ponderances like this are also kinda why I dislike HP, because people just don't bother making original magic schools when everyone and their grandma knows the lore for HP and you can just go "It's HP, but Ancient Egyptian and the houses are our Gods" and like ten million more people will jump on that over reading original lore

Idk, anyone else got a similar sticking point, whether it's with magic schools or another genre?

Ran into this problem myself. I know many people love HP but I resent how it's essentially become THE template for magic schools in the Western world. I also agree that doing anything other than slice-of-life is hard, but I don't know how to solve it either.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW