aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
ditto become human Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
my sis mentioned that our sexual organs have gotten bigger and now i’m reading on why penesis have developed to be bigger than testicles 🤷

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
*me reading at some polished site drafts past tanz wrote*

bro was cooking why did they stop

pronounsThey/them
20written posts
rubixearned bits
offlinecurrently
rubix
rubix Avatar
illidan main Avatar
profit of doom Avatar
honestly there's a lot about veganism that doesn't sit right with me- and this is one of those things. the black and white "no animal products, no matter what" is not only like. not feasible for a majority of people, but also a lot of things that are geared towards vegans are like. comically bad for the environment or have a reputation for having abusive labor practices. the one that really gets me are the clothing materials. like "vegan" leather is comically bad for the environment, and whether we like it or not, sheep literally have to be sheared. oftentimes animal hides or pelts are significantly higher quality (leather, wool, etc) even last a lot longer than the synthetic stuff. 

buy leather and wool secondhand if it makes you feel better! but honestly i feel like it's more ethical to do things like you're doing! eating eggs from someone who you know takes good care of her pets is far more ethical than buying say, a vegan leather purse that inevitably ends up in a landfill in 2 years bc it's garbage and broke easily.

i have A Lot of thoughts about veganism as someone who was plantbased at one point in their lives. sometimes i think about giving it another shot (i fucked up last time and made myself very sick bc i was a stupid 19 year old) but i dunno man. i'd miss cheese.
I've considered cutting back on meat products for health reasons and literally nothing else. veganism is often really uh. how do i put this. it's the liberalism of ethics. it's about feeling good, not doing good. you can definitely tell when these people suggest agave over honey. agave farming is literally driving species of bats extinct, while honey is generally not as exploitative as you'd think it would be. there is no ethical way to eat in our society, given the exploitation of immigrant work for our fruit and vegetables, and also the environmental damage of mass-farming.

and like, living in a rural area has also given me perspective, too. our capitalist food practices are incorrect, yes, but the problem isn't that we eat animals. the problem is the environmental damage caused by mass farming. we need alternatives that are better for the environment. plant-based isn't gonna save the planet.

There’s some interesting points here and I’d like to offer my view as someone who’s been vegan for thirteen years. Not to try and convert anyone or create any arguments around what’s right or wrong, just to clarify at least my view point on it. I always feel a bit anxious when publically talking about it because it can draw strong feelings and harsh debate, so I want to be clear that everyone’s ethics and opinions are their own, and these are just mine.

First, chicken farming. I hear a lot of people suggest that eating eggs that were from chickens they raised themselves would be okay. I would definitely consider this more ethical than getting them from a mass produced farm would be. It just wouldn’t be vegan because veganism doesn’t promote using animals for what they can do for us, marking that as exploitation. However I’d have a few questions around what happens to the hens if they no longer lay (do they get killed?) and where you got the hens from in the first place. For me, the worst part of the egg industry is how they breed and produce egg laying hens, not the consumption of eggs. Male chicks produced during this process are considered waste and treated horrifically, so unless my hens were rescues, I wouldn’t consider purchasing hens to lay eggs as a good alternative. It’s the same issue with dairy and what happens to male dairy calves and male chickens was one of the biggest factors that switched me from veggie to vegan, one that often gets overlooked by non-vegans.

Plastic vs animal is something I’ve considered before and is something I’ve found to generally be a major trolley problem with veganism when it comes to clothing. Do I kill one animal now for my boots or do I indirectly harm a lot more later by wearing plastic? I’ve yet to come to a satisfactory conclusion on it for leather, but there are some plant based leathers that are being produced that might offer a third route. Currently they’re a bit expensive. On wool, I did look at second hand wool to see if that was viable, but I found most wool I can afford is a blend of plastic and wool, which felt a bit like pushing my trolley down one set of tracks then reversing it to roll down the other side too for good measure. As a result, I still avoid wool at the moment.

I do think you’re right that a lot of online veganism that you see on TikTok or YouTube is posturing. However I think a lot of us are people with good intentions who really just don’t want cause harm to animals. Unfortunately this can go too far and as in all groups, people interpret philosophy in different ways. I’ve seen people argue for feeding cats a vegan diet supplemented by taurine, because they can’t justify harming animals to feed them a meat diet. This is one situation where good intentions are harmful, because cats are obligate carnivores requiring meat and they cannot digest plant based taurine well. Going wrong here can severely harm a cat as taurine is critical for their neurological function. I consider that unethical. So for me it’s more about avoiding harm where possible, avoiding exploitation where possible, and doing my best not to harm other living beings just to live. For me, that doesn’t include hurting my cat with a bad diet. So it’s best not to paint all vegans in the same brush because it’s a pretty diverse group.

Now, for the real reason I waded into this conversation… Agave and bats. I haven’t heard of this before, and I suspect a lot of vegans may be ignorant to it. When I googled, I only found stuff on it being used for tequila, which I don’t generally drink. Is agave syrup what they use to make tequila? I wondered if you had any articles on this or a source specifically on agave syrup that I can educate myself on. I don’t currently use it in my cooking as I don’t often bake but have used it in the past. If it’s genuinely harmful to bats, I think I can easily switch to maple syrup or another alternative to honey, so very keen to learn more. I love bats and have long considered them a favourite of mine so don’t want to harm them.
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
rubix Avatar
There’s some interesting points here and I’d like to offer my view as someone who’s been vegan for thirteen years. Not to try and convert anyone or create any arguments around what’s right or wrong, just to clarify at least my view point on it. I always feel a bit anxious when publically talking about it because it can draw strong feelings and harsh debate, so I want to be clear that everyone’s ethics and opinions are their own, and these are just mine.

First, chicken farming. I hear a lot of people suggest that eating eggs that were from chickens they raised themselves would be okay. I would definitely consider this more ethical than getting them from a mass produced farm would be. It just wouldn’t be vegan because veganism doesn’t promote using animals for what they can do for us, marking that as exploitation. However I’d have a few questions around what happens to the hens if they no longer lay (do they get killed?) and where you got the hens from in the first place. For me, the worst part of the egg industry is how they breed and produce egg laying hens, not the consumption of eggs. Male chicks produced during this process are considered waste and treated horrifically, so unless my hens were rescues, I wouldn’t consider purchasing hens to lay eggs as a good alternative. It’s the same issue with dairy and what happens to male dairy calves and male chickens was one of the biggest factors that switched me from veggie to vegan, one that often gets overlooked by non-vegans.

Plastic vs animal is something I’ve considered before and is something I’ve found to generally be a major trolley problem with veganism when it comes to clothing. Do I kill one animal now for my boots or do I indirectly harm a lot more later by wearing plastic? I’ve yet to come to a satisfactory conclusion on it for leather, but there are some plant based leathers that are being produced that might offer a third route. Currently they’re a bit expensive. On wool, I did look at second hand wool to see if that was viable, but I found most wool I can afford is a blend of plastic and wool, which felt a bit like pushing my trolley down one set of tracks then reversing it to roll down the other side too for good measure. As a result, I still avoid wool at the moment.

I do think you’re right that a lot of online veganism that you see on TikTok or YouTube is posturing. However I think a lot of us are people with good intentions who really just don’t want cause harm to animals. Unfortunately this can go too far and as in all groups, people interpret philosophy in different ways. I’ve seen people argue for feeding cats a vegan diet supplemented by taurine, because they can’t justify harming animals to feed them a meat diet. This is one situation where good intentions are harmful, because cats are obligate carnivores requiring meat and they cannot digest plant based taurine well. Going wrong here can severely harm a cat as taurine is critical for their neurological function. I consider that unethical. So for me it’s more about avoiding harm where possible, avoiding exploitation where possible, and doing my best not to harm other living beings just to live. For me, that doesn’t include hurting my cat with a bad diet. So it’s best not to paint all vegans in the same brush because it’s a pretty diverse group.

Now, for the real reason I waded into this conversation… Agave and bats. I haven’t heard of this before, and I suspect a lot of vegans may be ignorant to it. When I googled, I only found stuff on it being used for tequila, which I don’t generally drink. Is agave syrup what they use to make tequila? I wondered if you had any articles on this or a source specifically on agave syrup that I can educate myself on. I don’t currently use it in my cooking as I don’t often bake but have used it in the past. If it’s genuinely harmful to bats, I think I can easily switch to maple syrup or another alternative to honey, so very keen to learn more. I love bats and have long considered them a favourite of mine so don’t want to harm them.

just wanted to say that this was a very eloquent and well-worded explanation. and you posted it in mobile??

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
*sigh* not another one of those nights... intrusive pet grief thoughts _(:Ⅰ」∠)_

pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
rubix Avatar
since i don't rly wanna debate veganism n such, since it sounds exhausting for both of us (though i do think your points are well-articulated), i am gonna provide the first result i got on google. basically, blue agave does make agave syrup. the best way is to look for bat-friendly agave for tequila-- which uses sustainable farming practices and doesn't harvest all the agave. idk if there's the same for syrup.

i use honey daily in my tea, and was using agave for a bit because it actually congealed less often. but i've switched to honey n vodka, pretty much. if you want an even easier tea sweetener alternative, simple syrup or sugar does just fine.

also gonna note that i avoid wool for sensory reasons. BAD CLOTH EVIL CLOTH FEELS LIKE AWFUL. pls give me cotton.
last edit on Sept 3, 2024 16:03:03 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
pronounsThey/them
20written posts
rubixearned bits
offlinecurrently
rubix
rubix Avatar
illidan main Avatar
rubix Avatar
since i don't rly wanna debate veganism n such, since it sounds exhausting for both of us (though i do think your points are well-articulated), i am gonna provide the first result i got on google. basically, blue agave does make agave syrup. the best way is to look for bat-friendly agave for tequila-- which uses sustainable farming practices and doesn't harvest all the agave. idk if there's the same for syrup.

i use honey daily in my tea, and was using agave for a bit because it actually congealed less often. but i've switched to honey n vodka, pretty much. if you want an even easier tea sweetener alternative, simple syrup or sugar does just fine.

also gonna note that i avoid wool for sensory reasons. BAD CLOTH EVIL CLOTH FEELS LIKE AWFUL. pls give me cotton.

Yeah, no sweat at all. I mainly responded coz I was curious about the bats, as I’d not heard about that before, but I did want to address some of the other points as well. Veganism debates online get unpleasant quickly and it’s not fun 😅. Thank you for the link!
last edit on Sept 3, 2024 16:31:59 GMT by rubix
236written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
just wanted to say that this was a very eloquent and well-worded explanation. and you posted it in mobile??
There's JP authors who literally write entire novels on mobile, it's nuts.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
887written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
traveller Avatar
There's JP authors who literally write entire novels on mobile, it's nuts.

me tho. you get used to writing on mobile. what always helps me is the slider thing which is the only reason i still have predicative on because it needs that to work
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,355written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
i'd give so much just to find even a few people who wanted to write the stuff i wanted to write too

256written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
I feel that the advent of mobile gacha games have negatively impacted the animanga RP scene. Mind, there are some positives too, such as providing a wealth of aesthetically-pleasing and permission-free faceclaims in the form of their official art. But on the negative side of things, I feel that the storytelling of these games have influenced RP storytelling as well and not in a good way.

I don't know if I'm just overanalysing, or if this is even an official trope, but Gacha Game Subplot Syndrome is real on the sites I used to play on. This is referring to the tendency for gacha games to have character subplots whose stakes are on an equally large/grand scale as the main plot, if not sometimes more so.

Which goes against the more "traditional" (at least in the shonen action adventure sense) animanga narrative where character subplots tend to involve more personal scale stakes for the character, while the large scale stakes take place within the main plot.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW