Post a Random Thought

pronounsHe/Him/His
1,103written posts
lightearned bits
offlinecurrently
light
Part of the Furniture
light Avatar

see if u choose stuff like that, hell yea. it's not hard to tell when someone's being an ass when they "uwu" or ":upside_down_smiley_face:" generic emojis like that are easy 2 tell when someone's being an ass, but if it's shit like the pepe emojis i.e. :pepeeyesclosedlayingdown: or like really goofy ass ones, i just feel like u shouldn't misinterpret dat. but then again ppl are diff so it is wat it is and obvi ur entitled to feel how u feel and nowadays i dont rlly expect a lot from ppl nor am i surprised by how 1 reacts 2 something, every1's different and it just b like dat and that's on ms. carole baskin sweet pea

pronounsthey/them
127written posts
vvvaporwavesearned bits
offlinecurrently
vvvaporwaves
vvvaporwaves Avatar
[mitski voice] nobody nobody nobody nobody nobody
the way people switch lanes these days is astounding... like i know most ppl are in quarantine and roads are empty but u should still use ur blinkers -.-
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
my biggest dilemma is never being able to get the tone properly to the person i am speaking with, if i use emojis.

e.g

x: i will be late on X reply due to Y and Z, sorry!
option A: take your time (: -> looks sarcastic and insincere as hell
option B: take your time -> looks serious and scary as hell

so it's like i just started to say "take your time!" which fixes the issue i have to a degree but i swear i am 99% trying to be nice when i use smiley faces. doesn't help that i am somewhat a serious person who never ever uses emojis IRL too.
last edit on Apr 23, 2020 10:46:28 GMT by flare
pronounsShe
626written posts
Gingerearned bits
offlinecurrently
Ginger
Part of the Furniture
Ginger Avatar
I asked my boss to give me the most chaotic schedule he can think of.

So he started scheduling me at 5am to 2pm some days and 11pm to 8pm other days.

MY PLAN IS WORKING. Just today I woke up 2 Hours earlier than i was last week. And Look. Look IM ON A FORUM DOING STUFF!!!! Hurray!
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,813written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
minuet Avatar
light Avatar
this just gave me war flashbacks.

i will never forget how this whole dumbass misinterpreted me using a lot of emojis as being mean or being shady. like, no you fuckin' clown, i use emojis 2 show u that i'm not being mean or mad. i use them 2 lighten the conversation so ur dumbass doesn't misinterpret what i'm typing and assuming i'm being a jerk or something, b/c ppl have a habit of making that assumption and tend to forget that what u type =/= equal how u feel.

literally was trying 2 explain something and thought using emojis would help lighten the explanation b/c i knew they would misinterpret what i was saying. only for them 2 end up crying and doing it anyway and having 2 find out that they bitched 2 their friends and made an assumption that i was being mean/condescending?? no u sensitive ass clown that is the literal opposite of what i wanted u 2 do/think. how tf---
i do understand where you're coming from but perception is a complicated thing. sometimes i find that people using a ton of emojis (especially the upside down smiling one) can seem really passive aggressive and some emojis like uwu can come off as smug? and in general, just using a lot of emojis can be read as intimidating. for example zzz or  :) :) :) :)  is pretty intense whereas a row of heart emojis is cute. 

i personally don't really care if people use a ton of emojis but everyone's different. obviously this might not apply to your exact situation bc i don't know what happened there and what the situation was about, but it's pretty reasonable for people to be intimidated or put off by seeing a lot of emojis in a message. maybe the person you were talking to just misread your intentions but they wouldn't be wrong for doing that in this context. 

This is extremely true unfortunately. Perception is something different between everyone and I have seen emojis use passive aggressively. x.x My main sorrow is I worry I cannot punctuate multiple sentences with my cute c: smiley to assure I come off as friendly without someone perceiving it wrong; since this is public messaging, nobody can hear the tone of my voice sadly. I don't usually use actual emojis unless they are conveniently connected to a pre-existing emoji. (ex. <3 is a red heart on Discord) That being said, I am a firm believer that context is crucial, although, as you mentioned, some emojis have already received that rap. Which is a shame, but alas, it happens. x.x
pronounshe / him
94written posts
pomponearned bits
offlinecurrently
pompon
pompon Avatar
yuhhh get into it
re: the discussion & not anybody in particular, expressing yourself through a digital medium is rly interesting b/c the exact same phrase can be taken in different ways depending on the context

to take levin’s e.g. if you say “take your time :)” it normally wouldn’t cause a ruckus but say you already know somebody’s mad at you? suddenly the same phrase becomes passive aggressive & insincere. if you start taking in ppl.’s insecurities — i.e., once they start assuming you’re mad b/c you haven’t replied yet — then it’s almost like you’re fighting a losing battle. there are emojis that may help the situation & then there’s the upside-down smiley face

(i will say that i do not come from a social environment where the pepe emojis are regularly used so i honestly would not have any idea how to interpret them. sarcastic? goofy?? self-deprecating?? it’s beyond me)

the best solution i can think of is to establish the way u type when ur perfectly content & try not to deviate too badly, but tbh all that’s done for me is show how it’s sooooo easy to be fake online, esp. when u actually do have an issue. bruh if i don’t like the way you’re acting up but i don’t want to Disrupt The Peace i promise you will never fuckin’ know. arguably this is the best answer since it means nothing ever boils over but it wouldn’t eliminate the paranoia of “are they mad at me??? i can’t fucking tell!!!!!!! social interaction sucks!!!!”

tbh tho its best to not overthink things. ask urself if it’s rly that important in the grand scheme of things. if they are mad at u b/c u haven’t responded in a week? fuck it! make ‘em wait another!! at the end of the day i’m just gonna continue writing my gay emperor elagabalus/oc!praetorian prefect fic & mind my business, come what may
last edit on Apr 23, 2020 19:36:27 GMT by pompon
aliasravyn, ori
pronounshe / they
420written posts
rav⭑earned bits
offlinecurrently
rav⭑
rav⭑ Avatar
it gives me such a good feeling when you're on a level of friendship w/ people that you could.... pick out certain aspects of them.
the way a thread's going? same page feels good man.
listening to the same podcast and screaming about said things? gives me life.
watching friends play video games and being voice in the back that says the spooky sounds are just friends coming to visit. my sworn duty

all hail Garfield and the Holy Lasagna
pronounsshe/her
403written posts
dijit.exeearned bits
offlinecurrently
dijit.exe
dijit.exe Avatar
no talk me angy
the most intense Mexican Standoff is when two users are stalking the forum online list at the same time. no please, you tab out first. I was totally not stalking everyone.
last edit on Apr 23, 2020 20:48:38 GMT by dijit.exe
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,362written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
i watch video game let's plays / longplays so that i don't have to suffer through playing the game myself

i say while looking directly at super mario sunshine

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW