write a reply

favourite game ever and why?

pronounshe + him
157written posts
Gonzoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Gonzo
Gonzo Avatar
it has, truly, been a roundabout path...
okay so i think it's really cool to understand why something is someone's favourite anything. if it's just because "the game is really fun" (^: that's totally chill, and totally talk about it because i like really fun games too! but reasons other than that are super cool as well! for example, it's hard to choose a favourite game, so i'll be picking two, neither of which might even be my definitively favourite game ever (already breaking my own hecking rules). and those games are: nier (replicant) and persona 3

neither game are the most fun games i've ever played. nier automata blew the original out of the water in terms of gameplay and making it actually fun. the same has been done with persona 3, especially with the whole not being able to control your party members part (i'm talking about fes. i have portable i just haven't gotten the chance to get far into it.)

both games aren't mechanically the best i've played by a long shot, but they both of two things that i love in games: a good story and a great soundtrack. (spoilers):

nier is like a grim fairytale. one about an orphaned boy who wants to save the single most important person in his life and will do anything to keep her alive, teaming up with a group of loveable misfits along the way and bonding with them over the course of five whole years. except they never really get the happy ending (relucent to call ending e happy, plus it's not in the game). the once happy-go-lucky nier who believed he could play the hero by helping villagers and saving his sister slowly has his vision of the world crushed by it's cruelties until finally, he breaks during the mid-point of the game, becoming an older, cynical person in the second half who lusts for the blood of shades and is hellbent on killing the shadowlord. the team, individually and as a group go through hardships and changes and by the end it's really hard to consider them good people, but they're sympathetic people. the ending (as mentioned before) is far from happy, nothing really goes right for anyone but they continue to try, and i love it.

not to mention the music is phenomenal, (mostly) sung in a language completely made up by the singer, she makes her gibberish sound like a real language. a lot of work was done by her; having studied languages and some of their "key features" or things that were specific to that language and combining those traits with the other languages she was told the lyrics should sound like they should be sung in. yes, multiple languages in which they wanted a song to sound like, and emi evans killed it. there's not a single song in that game that isn't a bop, i'll sing along to those made-up words all day.

as for persona 3, i guess i'll go with the music first. shoji meguro is a god at making music, that's honestly about it. the composing is great and i super dig the rock music, having grown up with classic rock because my dad loves it. rap isn't something that i grew up with, but it's inclusion is totally fine with me. i'm honestly not super good at explaining why i like music, or why it works, i'm just a fan of the music. but i will say that "burn my dread" is the perfect theme song for the game.

while a lot of characterization for the protagonist is only given in spin-offs, you still get a sense for who the character is. he's a chill dude, too chill, apathetic. he doesn't show any signs of fear being attacked by a shadow for the first time, he doesn't care if he lives or dies. and while people may argue they're the worst cast, i think the cast of persona 3 is the most realistic and my (possibly idk i love every group but for arguement's sake) personal favourites. the group isn't held together by just the protagonist, they have their own relationships separate from the protagonist, ones from before the events of the game, yukari and mitsuru, akihiko and shinjiro, shinjiro and ken, junpei and yukari, and even aigis and the protagonist. in fes you don't get to hang out with the boys, and that just shows even more that without the main character there being everyone's best friend they're still held together. the protagonist doesn't need to be the adhesive holding the group together, they're friends with each other regardless of the protagonist. you find the members throughout the dorm hanging out and talking without the main character having to call them together. junpei and yukari chat because they want to, not because the team is having a meeting. (heavily spoilers): and after the protagonist eventually dies, while they fight with one another, they understand one another and are still friends. you get to see them continue to be friends without him there, even if it's hard (the hardship mostly coming from the passing of the protagonist). which, speaking of: the main character going from not caring whether he lives or dies to realizing his reason to live and deciding to die for that very thing, his friends, is heartbreaking and i love it. as someone who's biggest fear is knowing someday i'll die and will have panic attacks stemming from it, i really appreciate the theme of death and how it's handled.

sorry if i'm all over the place, but it's midnight rn and my eyes hurt too much to look back and fix any mistakes lmao, but i'm sure my points came across somewhat. anyways, that's why persona 3 and nier and two of my favourite games (even though the thread says one but whatever, sue me). i'd love to hear your reasoning for why your favourite games are, well, your favourite. cheers.
last edit on Jul 4, 2018 4:22:50 GMT by Gonzo
pronounsShe/Her
306written posts
offlinecurrently
Miss Melonade ♥
Spring '21 Bingo Completionist
Miss Melonade ♥ Avatar
I've Grown Tired of This Body, Cumbersome and Heavy
My favorite game ever is Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

So my family has always kinda been into video games, my dad and my step mom were into them, but actually I remember the person who'd play them most (other than me) was my grandma. She liked Mario more, but I remember sitting and watching her play Wind Waker and then when I was feeling sick one day I decided to go ahead and give the game a shot, and I fell in LOVE.

The Wind Waker style is SO CHARMING, at least for me, I think the colors are bright, the characters are ALL unique and adorable looking. Each character has so much personality just from their appearance, and even after talking to them they're all so charming. The world design is beautiful, sailing around the seas, which I know is most people's complaints, is so fun for me cause it's fun to look at.

I like the ability to sail just where you want and each island holds it's own little surprises. BOTW is known for being so fun to go out and explore, but I definatly got the same feeling when I first was playing WW, but I STILL have fun sailing around in WW, where as in BOTW I got bored of exploring after getting all the shrines.

The music is ICONIC, it's beautiful and there's not one song in it that I'm just kinda like "eh" about.

Going around the world of Wind Waker is a blast, the puzzles in it are a lot of fun, I think the stealth mission at the beginning in Forsaken Fortress is unique and fun. I get SO pumped when going to the tower of gods, and the ending makes me cri evry tim.

Anyway, I might be one of those people with nostalgia glasses on but I just can go back to this game over and over again and never get bored. Beat it 100% a 1000 times and I'd be fine. (Also bring WW HD to the switch plz thx.)

Honorable Mention: I have 1000 hours into Stardew Valley and counting, so that's something to consider
pronounsif you speak of me in certain tongues, you will be dethroned or detained
108written posts
ophiuchusearned bits
offlinecurrently
ophiuchus
ophiuchus Avatar
gutter rappin', anti-sleepin', no half-steppin'
y'all ready to hear me lose my goddamn mind about morrowind???
good, y'all don't deserve that.

but the third in the elder scrolls series was the first game i played on my original xbox and so much of it stuck to me as a dumb kid with skinned knees, even though i couldn't quite grasp how much of an effect it would have on me as a teen and, later, an adult writing and just...existing.

I did a day in a Discord chat where I just answered as many obscure ES trivia as I could because I clung like mad to morrowind. after learning that the main writer (kirkbride, please respect) did lots of drugs while writing it, everything became a hair clearer.

if you ever have a moment, read the thirty six lessons of vivec. there's a very vibrant part of my life i live by means of reaching heaven by violence (it makes far more sense in context, i assure you).

along a similar vein would be fallout new vegas. incredible writing with themes that are oft-haunting. "old world blues" was completely eradicated by the shortsightedness of fallout 4, where the game becomes entirely focused on "getting back to your old glory!!" getting lost in the haze of "what was" and "what could have been" makes you blind to the importance of life proper around you.

or something. mostly the ost was a banger.

honorable mention goes out to knights of the old republic, moreso 2 than 1. the idea of using in-game mechanics to have an adverse effect on story (not going to spoil it; it's actually quite well written) and toss a whammer of a realization to both character and player just makes me all tickly inside. love little things like that; they win my heart over.

also tyranny. please god play tyranny so i can scream about bronze age middlemen to the great evil thanks.

if you want my other video game thoughts you'd have to pay me; reviews don't come cheap

last edit on Jul 4, 2018 15:15:26 GMT by ophiuchus
pronounsshe/they
147written posts
asiearned bits
offlinecurrently
asi
asi Avatar
i'll take my chances on the curb here with you.
god i would say that this one's a tough one for me because there are just. so many games that i just absolutely adore for one reason or another. but whenever someone asks this question there are only two games that immediately come to mind: okami and dishonored.

okami is one of those games i initially played... i think in late middle school? early high school? i know was a bit late to the fandom but i'd say it's one of my favorite games specifically because i have such vivid sensory memories of playing it back in the day. of course the visuals hold up well to this day, the music is gorgeous, the brush mechanic is pretty darn unique. there's very little i could say negatively about the game honestly, but i'm pretty biased as well. but the one thing that sticks out for me is whenever i think about the game or play it today, i get transported back to my parents' basement. it's winter and the woodburning stove is blazing hot against my side with the scent of smoke in the air and one of the dogs is chewing on a stray piece of wood and my mom comes halfway down the steps to make fun of the characters' voices and oh geez look at me getting emotional at memories :')

with dishonored i just? find the whole world and the lore super interesting? and i just love the mechanics it provides you with. not to mention you can make it a stealth game or action game depending on your preference of play, and both are equally challenging in their own ways. it's good stuff, man.

pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
Heroes of Might & Magic 3, a game that came out in 1999, I bought originally and am still playing to this day. It is a strategy game that uses hexagonal movement, has base-building a la civilization but is quite far more complex when it comes to battles and numbers. I think it has aged quite well especially graphics-wise despite being so old and the campaign & soundtrack especially hold up well. It also features a random map generator and hundreds of scenarios as well but most of my hours come from the pvp. Don't buy the remake edition on steam but go for gog version as it includes all the expansion packs if any of you do decide to get it though. I'm not best at selling it but it's because I just have a lot of hours on it but I know it's a very niche thing.

My honourable mentions would include paradox games, crusader kings/europa universalis etc but those also have a very steep learning curve and i'd recommend it to history buffs or strategy fans tbh.

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I don't have just one. Picking just one is too cruel and only part truth!

Suikoden V
- Amazing plot-line (very captivating and memorable)
- Lots of great characters (107-108!)
- Interesting lore
- Integrates both turn-base, reactive, & tactical fighting style (pretty complex, too, sometimes you have to work with both sea and land maps simultaneously)
- Downfall: you have to level up 3 parties with great gear, runes, and of course level them up to beat the game; however, nothing ever indicated such. So, I had one beefy team for the ending and two low level teams. I couldn't beat the game unless I decided to do mindless grinding for countless hours, or start again if I rather grind while doing the story.

I first played this as a kid and it stuck with me for well over a decade. It was a rentable back then, and I finally managed to get my own copy in the past year. It's even better than I remember. I just... I can't even fully explain.

NieR Automata
Initially, I hated this game. I thought it was very disappointing until my second+ play-through.
- Interesting lore
- Likeable characters / interesting character dynamic
- Fun gameplay with fighting, prioritises dodging unlike many games I've tried
- Beautiful graphics and inspiring settings. I especially liked three areas that I'll refrain from sharing. ;3 But, I was also really impressed with the little details, like how 2B's stockings pinched into her thigh to make make the unveiled thigh part buldging out a little. As a girl gamer, I thought that was a very nice touch cuz it does that IRL. xD
- Destroyed my mind and soul. People say that the first NieR hurt the "feels" more, but I'm a thinking type and I don't usually respond as desired to things that purposely aim at the heartstrings. So, as a thinking type, who has thought and wondered many of the philophical/etc. questions/themes in the game, it really blew my mind, and as a result: my heart/soul. I could understand it and empathise with it very well.
- Downfall: very predictable storyline overall. I had accurately guessed almost all of their "WHOA, SPOILER ALERT/PLOT TWIST" elements within the first few hours the first play through, which was kind of disappointing. Thankfully, there was more to it than those elements. Also, there were some questions I wanted answers to but never got >| I suspect they might be in the original NieR...

FFX ~LONG SAP STORY~
Like NieR A, I originally hated FFX as a kid, but then I replayed it as an adult. My dad's and my birthdays were only a few days apart so we always celebrated them together. One year, he forgot my birthday. Turns out, he was in the hospital. We were also basically at odds at that point after a little fight, and he refused to see me. That following Christmas, we never got together yet again (and he never got me a gift but I had his [neither of us like caards]). The following march, he was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukaemia, and informed me.He had anywhere from a couple days to a couple months left to live. So, I went to his house, and I gave him his gift (he collected a particular type of ceramic masks) along with a Cirque du Soleil DVD because we both loved CDS. He was unable to watch the DVD, and gave the mask back to me seeing as he won't be having it for much longer.

While he was lucid, he told me he'd give me some money so I could buy myself some birthday presents and Christmas presents from him. I declined. Taking care of his house and his wife (who is also very sickly), it felt like months, but it was only a week. After he died in April, I ended up buying myself FFX HD as that coming year's birthday present from him (with my own money). I played it and I sobbed like a baby. Tidus and his dad Jecht basically had the exact same relationship as me and my dad (and it was always hard, growing up and even in my early adult years). Thanks to FFX, I felt like I could understand him (my dad) a lot more.

I can't say that the characters are my favourites (Wakka/Lulu, OTP! WOO!), but I love the setting, the races, the sports,and the over all concept/philosphy. My favourite part are the aeons/fayth in terms of lore.
Also, FFX's version of Shiva is the best

FFVIII
First FF game I ever got to play by myself~.
- Love the characters. Could always relate to Squall. Never liked Rinoa, but replaying it recently, I have come to appreciate and understand her more. I can pretty much relate to all the characters now. My favourite character is laguna.
- Concept of Seed = ♥
- Like the overall story. I found it very artful how they integrated the past, present, and future
- Graphics/setting are gorgeous. Back then, each frame was like it's own composition and I feel and think that they put more ornate details into these frames than they do now... lots of colours, too.
- I think the GF (summon) concept is neat
- Going through a new playthrough, and think the corrupted junction trick is pretty awesome. It takes hours and hours of grinding but it's very... gratifying.

FFXII/Tactics
- Probably my favourite FF setting. So much cultural diversity! Areas are gorgeous
- The races are some of my favourites, too, from Viera to Bangaa, and so on
Downfall: FFXII's story felt a little too rushed/fast-paced

.hack//G.U.
- Love the story and the concept
- I connected with the characters so much that it almost felt like they were MY friends (is that weird?!)
- Love the graphics, settings, and overall style
- That character development T____T
- In the PS4 version, they include files which you can unlock through gameplay, I believe, to learn more about PS1 games (if you didn't play them), which I find fantastic
- The forums/online community in .hack//G.U. feel very well-integrated/involved. Like, it almost feels like perusing the forums here, yenno?
- The avatars/phases were well-designed and thought out
- I JUST LOVE EVERYTHING!!!

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Another one from my childhood that I loved, and found to be very memorable.
- Graphics/style
- Great settings (I love interesting/unique areas, yenno?)
- Zora, Deku, and Goron - I loved all of these races. I felt a great affinity to the Zora for some reason.
- Epona <3
- The songs & sounds/soundtracks
- The side quests (I think the side quests were probably my favourites, like the dairy chase, the dairy bar/band scene, the couple mission that was a bitch, and so on[/s]

Funny enough, I have never beat the games listed above, but I did beat all of my honourable mentions. :|

Honourable mentions: Assassin's Creed, Persona 5, Mass Effect, Fire Emblem Birthright, Pokemon X, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature, Rune Factory 4 (guardians~), Rune Factory 3 (for the hybrid)

Thank you for reading my verbosity... 8 |
last edit on Jul 5, 2018 4:53:36 GMT by Deleted
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,495written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i fear you: your silence, your blindness. see what you want to see!
, Heroes of Might and Magic are heckin' good games, and I definitely didn't expect to see it mentioned here? I played more of 4, myself, but that was mostly due to access rather than preference, skdjlfhskdjfhsd.

ANYWHO, onto my actual answer:

Project Diva Future Tone, because I'm really good at it and everyone who watches me play at least feign being impressed, and it makes me feel good about myself. TuT

Growing up, I didn't really have access to the Internet – we had it in my home, but exclusively on my father's computer – or to video games unless I purchased the games and systems myself (without an allowance, either, so, like??? where even do you get the money). My introduction to the world of video games, then, was a little late compared to most of my friends, and even then, I wouldn't get to actually play video games until a little later in life when my sister and I pooled our funds together to go a Gamecube + two of my other favorite games, Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure you thought it was gonna be Wind Waker, HA and Pokemon Colosseum, which remains my favorite game of my favorite game franchise to this date. The very first game I laid eyes on, however, was Final Fantasy X, and to this day, I have more distinctive memories of it over the years than virtually anything else. For someone with the memory retention of a rock, that's... that's high praise.

I backseat video gamed for most of my child days even after gaining access to them myself. I remember crowding around our CRT with my sister to watch my dad play through the earliest parts of the game; I remember sitting by that same CRT, half hiding under a blanket because I wanted to support my sister during the Yunalesca battle but was honestly scared poopless by her giant zombie Medusa head. Little Me was even worse at video games than Big Me is now – it was such an accomplishment when I finally beat Sinspawn Gui on my fourth heckin' playthrough of the game after that was my restarting point three times before.

There's more than nostalgia involved, though, of course. I'm never going to say that FFX is the pinnacle of gaming – there are almost definitely games out there that are more technically impressive in just about every aspect – but it satisfies my desires as video game player almost to a “t”. As I mentioned, I'm very bad with video games that are largely skill based. I default the JRPGs more than anything else because, unless you're going for the big secret bosses, most things can be tackled by grinding enough (plus, I like good stories, and I usually like JRPG stories, so that's a bonus). The act of grinding itself is very therapeutic for me. If I'm stressing, I'll level grind. If I just need to clear my head, I'll level grind. Jam out to some battle music, get lost in the repetition. FFX's leveling has always been especially rewarding/relaxing to me through it's not-as-janky-as-Cheddar-would-lead-you-to-believe Sphere Grid. I love the narrative of the story, too. I love to list it as an example of good world building through the main protagonist: namely in that information is explained to Tidus in order to explain it to the character, but it rarely suffers the typical drawback of making the main character you have to learn things alongside feel like an idiot, which makes that method of learning through explanation a lot less tedious (as well as the whole game, because I can't... stand... following... dumb and/or annoying protagonists...) The world itself is my favorite Final Fantasy one to date. I love that you can understand the story they mean to tell entirely with face value, but there's so much more beneath that you can lose yourself in if you dig a little deeper. The soundtrack is just... JUST... UGH... I have literally just cried at this before, I hate it. That opening cutscene is absolute perfection. Everything is just solidly good. Slap on my entire childhood on top of that, and is it any wonder why I like it so much?

I also have very clear memories of my sister and I crowding around my dad and that CRT to watch him play X-2 for the first time because of how pumped we all were for a sequel to X... but we don't talk about that game.........

aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

i feel weird not putting a final fantasy game here, but if i'm honest, i'm not sure which one i'd put because i love a lot of them, so i'm gonna go with my non-FF favourite!

the elder scrolls v: skyrim. my first elder scrolls game, and more than likely the thing that uncovered my love for norse mythology. i don't remember how exactly i was introduced to it, but i know i started playing it on release. of course, sharing the game disc with my brothers meant that i couldn't play it all the time, but luckily for me, potato and puddles from team mongoose had a skyrim lets' play that i could watch when i wasn't playing it, so, heck yeah!

upon playing skyrim, i fell head over heels in love with it. it was absolutely beautiful, to me - the scenery, the music, the story. i fell in love with the lore, too. skyrim was what introduced me to the elder scrolls universe, and i fell in love with the universe as a whole because of skyrim, and i'm very excited for es6 to be coming out in several years from now. i played skyrim for years after it came out, with breaks inbetween. it was one of those games that i always came back to, because it always evokes a feeling of peace within me.

skyrim is, honestly, my home away from home.

if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
pronounsno preference /o/
298written posts
offlinecurrently
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩 Avatar
perhaps i am faint glimmer —
i've never played the original nier (or the new one for that matter), but i would like to second that the soundtrack for it is AMAZING and i have a lot of respect for their creative process honestly. don't quote me on this, but i heard that they just told the composer to go ham and that they actually modified parts of the game to match the music and it just gets all my love. @squeenix fucking port nier to ps4 so i can play it you cowards.

as for myself--

journey is one of my all time favourite games and i still boot it up whenever i'm upset. somehow, i never get tired of crossing its landscape and failing its platforming elements. every play through is a roller coaster of emotions for me and i can't. get. over. its visual and musical aspects. i also never fail to tear up when the credits roll.

final fantasy: theatrhythm the only ff game i've ever played; look at me i'm a ff fan this is the only other game i play regularly, probably. the music in these series is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and i LOVE RHYTHM GAMES so naturally, i have to love this game to bits. i've probably logged more hours in this game than all my other games combined hAHA.

trauma center: under the knife 1 & 2. stress.

honourable mentions:

everybody's gone to the rapture is down here only because i haven't played it yet! i chanced on the soundtrack one day though and i was absolutely floored

fire watch: are you sensing a pattern here? i love walking simulators i'm not sorry. the dialogue of this game was absolutely precious and the atmosphere is SO well done. it was really short tho.

assassin's creed is a series that i definitely love more for its fanon than the actual series. i'm mad that ubi can't make good decisions.
last edit on Jul 5, 2018 20:01:30 GMT by k̾u̾r̾a̾ 💩
coffee break...
aliasGasker
pronounsany
128written posts
Togaskoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Togasko
Togasko Avatar
Skyrim. I will always love Elder scrolls: Skyrim. I don't know if I can explain it as well as the rest of you. But it has everything I love. Fantasy, magic, neat races, and a whole massive world to explore. I have not even finished the game, not even close, even after.....4+ years? It was the very game that made my ex have to buy me my own xbox 360 to play it on my own in my room because he'd have to pry me off his system when he wanted to play games. Ahhh so much fun!

Last of us: I am not great with horror or zombie games. I turn into a little baby, jumping at every shadow in the Resident evil games. But this game? I love it so much. I love the story and love the characters. You get so attached to them and god. I so wanna play this game again but I only have a xbox!

These are my 2 favorite games that I can lose hours playing.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
suikoden series in general, but 2 and 5 get special mention.

tales of symphonia. i really like graces too, though i'm aware of its flaws.

persona 5!

i'm a big jrpg nerd and i've lagged behind (i wanna play nier!). i also saw mention of heroes of might and magic. 3 is still the best although i do enjoy 5... i'm still more addicted to 3. civ v is also a favourite of mine.

i also love survival games...if i actually play them. i just want let's plays nowadays bc i don't have a computer to run them.
aliasRinse, Oakey, rickrollme
pronounsShe/Her
75written posts
pancakehouseearned bits
offlinecurrently
pancakehouse
pancakehouse Avatar
SIGMAR BLESS THIS RAVAGED BODY!
I have a feeling these are all gonna sound generic, but~

Dragon's Dogma, Divinity: Original Sin II, Dragon Age - The three D's of my kind of RPGs. Dragon's Dogma was definitely lacking a bit in story, but the gameplay was everything I could ever ask for in a single-player hash-and-slash and I don't think I'll find that again in another game. The fact that you can change your class at any time was amazing, the Pawn system was great, and battling was fun. I enjoyed the game immensely, even if I thought the ending was lame and the story was so-so.

I found Divinity after looking desperately for an RPG me and my boyfriend could play as a couch co-op on the PS4. And I'm not disappointed. It doesn't seem like anything too special, but it has been a lot of fun and we've put a lot of hours into it (like... he works on the weekends, and both of us can't wait for him to get home so we can play for 8 more hours haha). It's definitely scratching an itch I've had. I was basically looking for a Dragon's Dogma we could play together, so we gave this a try, and it's been a lot of fun.

Dragon Age was one of my first loves. Dragon Age: Origins had great story and great companions, Dragon Age 2 had great companions and a fun, fast-paced gamestyle (like Dragon's Dogmna), and Dragon Age: Inquisition was very pretty. I found all three to have a lot of replay value, to make different choices (and romance different people lol). I named my two cats Anders (we just call her Andy) and Dorian, lol. 

Supergiant Games: Bastion, Pyre, Transistor. All three of these games had beautiful art and superb soundtracks. The narration in Bastion and Transistor was so, so, so amazing. I've got Supergiant posters up all over my apartment because it's all so pretty. I haven't played their new game, Hades, yet. But I will definitely buy it once it's out of beta. 

---- 

For games that aren't necessarily my favorite, but are just fun to play with a close friend or two: Vermintide 2, Dead By Daylight, Green Hell, 7 Days to Die, SCUM.

----

And lastly, some shout-outs to the games I grew up on as a kid and just have these vivid memories of. Sudeki for the original Xbox. This game was really fun?? And I remember it having cute music and cute NPC character designs. And then you go into a dark alternate-universe and meet your dark-Universe selves and play as your dark-Universe selves with different skills and I remember this blowing my adolescent mind and leaving a fond impression. 

Anyone ever play Rugrats, I think for the original Playstation? I remember that game being a million different things in one. I remember playing the multiplayer games by myself for hours (because I had no friends and no siblings as a child lmao). And they had a range of multiplayer games that were all fun?? And I remember there were minigolf courses where you could just ditch the mini-golfing and go exploring temples and stuff and find stuff before eventually returning to your mini-golfing.

I can't tell you how many times I played Tony Hawk's Underground 2 for Xbox, either. That was fun. 

Shoutout to old-school Runescape, which I played on the sh*ttiest dial-up in the universe. I could have died thirty seconds ago and not know it. But bless this game and playing it with my old Warrior Cats RPing buddies. 
last edit on Aug 16, 2020 18:47:48 GMT by pancakehouse

an original powers rp
pronounsshe / her
397written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
The World Ends With You (DS version)

Look I can play this game forwards and backwards, on Ultimate difficulty, Level 1, maxed-out stats, chain 16 for all the BLACK Noise and come out without blinking.

Yes I am that obsessed with this game…

Legend of Mana (PS1)

Another one of those rare gems by Squaresoft on the PS1. Never has a game captivated me with so many main story lines crossing over culminating with your MC trying to save the world from utter ruin.

aliasgraves
pronounshe/him
161written posts
gravesearned bits
offlinecurrently
graves
graves Avatar
villain kissing is fun, actually
ohhh boy okay let's go over the big ones

dragon age (all of 'em)

inquisition was the first game i ever played that let me romance a gay character that had substance to him. seriously, i know more exist but dragon age: inquisition let me feel seen where i'd normally felt incredibly unrepresented by bland characters with nothing to them except for the "ahah flirty and drunk" stereotypical stuff

then there was dragon age 2, coming in with a better story than any of the other games and tackling the big issues. it felt real in a way that some games just don't get and i fell in love with hawke, with how even the main character got to be an actual character instead of a blank slate

and origins is the one i've spent the least amount of time with, but it's still a game i appreciate and have played at least a little bit of. zevran getting to be the flirty stereotypical bi character but then growing and being an adult about his issues in the end was so damn refreshing you have no idea kgjfdhg

in general, the writing for dragon age games has always pulled me in and helped me during rough times. i found dorian exactly when i needed to, right as i was about to face my own father for the first time in 6 years. it's been a great comfort for me even a few years later to be able to replay these games and fall in love all over again

ai: the somnium files

i didn't know if i was going to be all that into this game, i just watched my friend play all of the routes like a few weeks ago though and i'm for sure in love with it. some of the jokes are a bit Much sometimes but at the end of the day they're mostly just goofy and trying to lighten the mood of an incredibly dark and complicated story. you can actually follow the story quite well, it loves to make you feel like a smart detective seconds before taking a sharp right turn and making you instantly jump into trying to piece it all together again

it also gave me an excuse to spend a ton of time with a good friend who also adores the game and experience it together, and genuinely nothing's better than enjoying something someone adores with them all over again

final fantasy (like most of 'em)

i got a tattoo from xv when i was 17 and have absolutely no regrets. i joined the hype when xv came out and then worked backwards going with whatever interested me the most, now i've played all of them except like 3 from the main installments and it's just been a really good series for escapism. xii will always be my favorite even if it wasn't my first, the story just strikes the best with me. a lot of final fantasy plots are all over the place, but xii always felt more put together and the characters are super strong and well done

genshin impact

i hate mihoyo but at the same time, genshin is a good distraction and another way to play with my friends and help them out on commissions or grinding that last level up material. the teapot has absolutely sucked up all of my attention lately and tart just game home recently so it's been a rlly nice feeling to just collect resources in the world and relax to the music

bioshock (all of 'em)

i won't say too much because it's got a Lot going on in the story at all times, but the bioshock games are all super enjoyable and fun to play. i love a good story and that goes doubly so for games that have smooth controls and gameplay mechanics. i can't recommend it enough honestly it's just a golden series

one last special shoutout to hades for just being an amazing game 10/10 well done supergiant

last edit on Oct 17, 2021 4:15:34 GMT by graves