pronounshe/him
818written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
i don't think i need to tell y'all that i'm literally obsessed with brave 10 and i will fucking go down with it to my grave

buuuut what about you? what sort of shitty, obscure fandoms are you obsessed with that you think need more love? or at least you needs more people to suffer in like you do.
last edit on Sept 10, 2019 12:44:54 GMT by bc
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,496written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i fear you: your silence, your blindness. see what you want to see!
Tell me about Brave 10, , because I've literally never heard of it, but its name reminds me of Ben 10, and it sounds heckin' rad.

I'm crazy about rock operas, particularly Savatage's, but I'd say the only one that I whole-heartedly think of myself as being in the fandom of would be Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime, just because it's setting and plot are more concrete and sandbox-able than, say, Streets or Dead Winter Dead. I LOVE... THE CHARACTERS? 10/10 would die for my junkie murder son. I LOVE... THE PLOT? I still choke up around the last three songs, they're just so painful. And don't even get me started on the music. ToT

There's been fanart and fanfics not drawn or written by me over the years, but I've only seen, like... the first couple pages of a single comic as far as fanart goes; all of the fanfics are cross-overs, and out of the, like, five, only one of them actually told an original story using the characters, as opposed to just... putting Naruto and Sasuke into the shoes of the protagonist/antagonist, sdjklfhdskjfdhkjdfhs. AND IT WAS GOOD, BUT ALAS, I CANNOT... IN GOOD CONSCIENCE... RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE... the struggle. I'm crying over here, guys, I need SOME substance in my fandom! Give me anything that wasn't written back in heckin' 1990, please!!!!

O:M itself can be consumed in its entirety in less than an hour less than two, if you wanna listen to the sequel, too, but I do not recommend, and even if the music isn't your thing, the plot, I think, still holds up strongly enough on its own, so long as you don't mind angry political ranting, lots of background character murder, religious/arguably blasphemous themes, and mind manipulation up the heckin' wazoo. It's a train wreck, and I haven't looked away in four years.

Write me fics, and I will pay you in friendship and code, that's all -
last edit on Sept 10, 2019 14:14:18 GMT by pharaoh leap

pronounsShe/Her
306written posts
offlinecurrently
Miss Melonade ♥
Spring '21 Bingo Completionist
Miss Melonade ♥ Avatar
I've Grown Tired of This Body, Cumbersome and Heavy
So I'm really bad at keeping in the loop on what's popular or what's not, and I don't go out of my way to look for fandom things of stuff. So forgive me if this is a really popular series or whatever and I just had 0 clue.

Rusty Lake/Cube Escape series I like mysteries a lot and this one is really interesting to me <<; That's all I really can say about it, but I wanted to show it off in case someone wants to check it out.
pronounsshe/her
427written posts
offlinecurrently
cyanide darktearz 💀
cyanide darktearz 💀 Avatar
Idk how obscure it is considered but I love the anime Carole & Tuesday. Songs are catchy and did I also mention that it was directed by Shinichiro Watanabe? It's about two girls and their rival pursuing their dreams of being musicians while dealing with personal and occupational struggles. Characters are all very well developed and diverse, with confirmed LGBT+ folks that aren't made out to be jokes.

Non-spoilery clip from it below. 130% VERY SAd (YOU WILL CRY) (NOT CLICK BAIT)

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
OHOHOHOHO. NOW, AM I THE SELF-PROCLAIMED PRINCESS OF OBSCURE BULLSHIT FANDOMS OR WHAT.

okay, so - arguably animanga forum rp is obscure enough on its own, maybe even moreso than webtoons - but foreign webtoons fandoms are so hard to find, especially if the artist doesn't have a twitter or anything and the platform that they publish on doesn't even have a commenting system (although, tbf, this doesn't encompass all the ones that i read). where are my rpg fans? my escape devildom fans? am i cursed to just read sock goblin alone and cry about heartwarming feelings?

BUT THE CROWNING JEWEL ON MY OBSCURE INTERESTS IS INTERACTIVE FICTION. that's right. it's basically a text-based rpg, and it's the coolest fucking thing i've seen in forever, and no one else is willing to jump in this rabbit hole with me that i know of sobs. it's just really fun! there's puzzles, drama, gripping writing, and it's just GWAHHHHH. it goes over so many genres, it's so fun, and it's just. PLEASE. dm me or something im serious i NEED to talk about these with someone OTL and get someone as invested in them as i am.

my favorite interactive fiction game currently is alias: the magpie, AND IT'S GREAT, SERIOUSLY, PLEASE PLAY IT, PLEASE PM ME/DM ME WHAT YOU THINK, IF YOU GOT STUCK, ETC., LET'S TALK ABOUT IT OTL, but counterfeit monkey is absolutely SO fun and it's what i've been working on lately. if you're new to if, though, stuff like bronze might be better?? spider and web is a sci-fi fave of mine THAT IMO IS PRETTY GRIPPING...IDK......PLEASE.......TALK TO ME ABOUT IT FOREVER.

(p.s. my discord is lovelorn#0859 in case anyone is genuinely interested)
last edit on Sept 10, 2019 16:28:22 GMT by Deleted
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Sorry about the double post, but I guess people are liking my post enough for me to shamelessly talk about Kamen Rider hahaha

It's basically a live action series where characters transform into superhero forms to fight monsters, usually using belts and toys gimmicks to transform, although it wasn't like that during its ancient stages. The closest analogue I'd guess is Power Rangers, because Power Rangers is based on/uses footage from Super Sentai which is an offshoot of Kamen Rider. Kamen Rider doesn't usually have the combining mecha and usually doesn't have a team of Riders right off the bat, and can be... darker or edgier XD They usually fight with hand-to-hand combat and finish enemies off with a distinctive looking, physics-ignoring kick, which, combined with an insect-theme that their masks have going, has given them the affectionate moniker of karate bugmen among the fandom XD (They're also the reason why Bug-type Pokemon are strong against Dark-type Pokemon, because these bugmen are strong against evil! When are we getting a Kamen Rider Pokemon?)

An ongoing theme of Kamen Rider is that the protagonist uses a similar or derived power from the monsters he fights, meant to exemplify that it isn't powers or technology or magic that you use that are evil, but what you do with them is what matters. Seasons are generally self-contained, usually going for 50-something episodes, with requisite crossover movies that do quite well in Japan, hahaha. There's the old Showa era that I haven't watched where things weren't very toy-based yet (they sell the Rider's gear as toys, if you haven't realized yet) with old-timey special effects, and the Heisei era which I'm more familiar with and has recently made way for the Reiwa era (following the era names based on the Emperors of Japan).

My personal favorite seasons were:
- Kamen Rider OOO, which involved creatures made of medals/coins called Greeed (yes, there are three e's), which exploited human desires. Said medals and Greeed were themed after animals, and Kamen Rider OOO uses those medals to transform into a form based off a hawk, a tiger, and a grasshopper.
- Kamen Rider Ex-Aid, which involved doctors trying to cure patients of sapient viruses in the form of video game characters. They do so by... transforming into video game characters themselves with a bulky belt that looks like a Famicom. XD

Shout-out to Kamen Rider Gaim, which got me into this fandom, which uses the theme of fruits (don't be fooled, it's pretty dark, it's written by Gen Urobuchi of Fate/Zero and Madoka Magica). Also Kamen Rider Wizard and Kamen Rider Ghost, which are often hated amongst the fandom but which I personally... well, they're not the best, but I enjoyed their runs.

Anyway, with all that spazzing, have a video of transforming... or, well, more accurately, henshins!

446written posts
wolfeearned bits
offlinecurrently
wolfe
wolfe Avatar
lovelorn Avatar
OHOHOHOHO. NOW, AM I THE SELF-PROCLAIMED PRINCESS OF OBSCURE BULLSHIT FANDOMS OR WHAT.

okay, so - arguably animanga forum rp is obscure enough on its own, maybe even moreso than webtoons - but foreign webtoons fandoms are so hard to find, especially if the artist doesn't have a twitter or anything and the platform that they publish on doesn't even have a commenting system (although, tbf, this doesn't encompass all the ones that i read). where are my rpg fans? my escape devildom fans? am i cursed to just read sock goblin alone and cry about heartwarming feelings?

BUT THE CROWNING JEWEL ON MY OBSCURE INTERESTS IS INTERACTIVE FICTION. that's right. it's basically a text-based rpg, and it's the coolest fucking thing i've seen in forever, and no one else is willing to jump in this rabbit hole with me that i know of sobs. it's just really fun! there's puzzles, drama, gripping writing, and it's just GWAHHHHH. it goes over so many genres, it's so fun, and it's just. PLEASE. dm me or something im serious i NEED to talk about these with someone OTL and get someone as invested in them as i am.

my favorite interactive fiction game currently is alias: the magpie, AND IT'S GREAT, SERIOUSLY, PLEASE PLAY IT, PLEASE PM ME/DM ME WHAT YOU THINK, IF YOU GOT STUCK, ETC., LET'S TALK ABOUT IT OTL, but counterfeit monkey is absolutely SO fun and it's what i've been working on lately. if you're new to if, though, stuff like bronze might be better?? spider and web is a sci-fi fave of mine THAT IMO IS PRETTY GRIPPING...IDK......PLEASE.......TALK TO ME ABOUT IT FOREVER.

(p.s. my discord is lovelorn#0859 in case anyone is genuinely interested)

Choice of Games built an entire company based off of interactive fiction. The quality varies a bit, but everything under their label are generally at least decently good while Hosted Games (aka just finished games that don't go through the vetting process) range from awful to amazing.

Shout out to Fallen Hero: Rebirth as an absolutely brilliantly written first part to a villain protagonist based game for the superhero genre. Zombie Exodus is top tier for the zombie post-apoc genre. Silverworld is a fantastic game based off of a wacky time travel concept that sends you back into the stone age. Choice of Rebels: Uprising is god tier if you like more political fantasy. Totem Force is basically morally gray Power Rangers almost, which was a neat twist. A Study in Steampunk, Choice by Gaslight is a fantastic steampunk genre one as well.

EDIT: ChooseYourStory has a lot of free ones, with super varying quality. One shout-out I want to give after a BIG WARNING that it is a Rated R one 150% in every sense of the word is Eternal which is longer than most books in each playthrough with 650k total words. It is grimdark done VERY RIGHT but WARNING that it IS 150% GRIMDARK.
last edit on Oct 11, 2019 2:49:19 GMT by wolfe
839written posts
SPIRELEearned bits
offlinecurrently
SPIRELE
Part of the Furniture
SPIRELE Avatar
lovelorn Avatar
SPIRELE Avatar
omniscient reader
genuinely curious but is orv really that obscure? its quite popular in the circles i run in but maybe thats just me

in my circles it is. the only reason anyone knows of it is because the studio doing solo leveling is doing ORV too. and that only covers the manga portion.

i know ORV has a dedicated web novel fanbase but i feel that's only once ur in it. discovering it in the first place tho...

O_o
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
SPIRELE Avatar
lovelorn Avatar
genuinely curious but is orv really that obscure? its quite popular in the circles i run in but maybe thats just me
in my circles it is. the only reason anyone knows of it is because the studio doing solo leveling is doing ORV too. and that only covers the manga portion.

i know ORV has a dedicated web novel fanbase but i feel that's only once ur in it. discovering it in the first place tho...

O_o
it's really popular on twitter! i used to run in cnovel/manhwa fandoms so orv isn't that far off LOL so my perception is probably skewed o7