write a reply

what obscure bullshit fandom are you obsessed with

pronounsfeminine
379written posts
idindinearned bits
offlinecurrently
idindin
idindin Avatar
ar tonelico!! or the songs they make!! programming syntaxes as lyrics for their songs, something like a whole computer architecture in their worldbuilding and the lore, and add in how the director was so dedicated that he made up physics to accommodate the system in the world! i don't think there's any other games like it after that one. the songs' genre is also so very unique and not very common that i think nier's ost is the closest to it? and, unfortunately, any other games that boast 'song magic' is usually just using the usual jpop.

it's too bad they don't seem to be continuing the series anymore. i really want more functions defined in songs or grammars/lore-reasons making layered vocals a necessity or songs titled with 'chmod' or 'exec'... i hope they make more ;;;
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
I already posted about Kamen Riders, but what's yet another obscure fandom

I've... recently? gotten into Legend of the Five Rings, a tabletop RPG, which is based on Eastern mythology medieval stuff.

I specially like how the characters are built in it, because rather than going for Strength, Dexterity, etc.; your stats are instead dictated by your affinity to the elements, Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and Void (the Five Rings!). Each ring is associated with a particular way of doing things; a Fire character would probably reckless charge in battle, while an Air character would feint and trick their opponent into creating openings. An Earth character would be good at retaining and memorizing information, but a Water one would instead be good at gathering it from their surroundings.

It's set in the land of Rokugan, which is basically everything Asian mushed together, where the Emperor rules over seven different Great Clans of samurai who split the territories and have vastly different cultures. There's also the code of Bushido and its tenets, and each Great Clan focuses on one while they... downplay another. There's the Crab clan who fight to protect the border from evil monsters and undead, the Crane clan who influence through diplomacy and art, the Dragon clan who seclude themselves in the mountains to seek Enlightenment, the Lion clan who excel in combat and military pursuits, the Phoenix clan who serve the many gods, the Scorpion clan who use underhanded means to root out the enemies of the Empire, and the Unicorn clan who has recently returned from the West, bringing knowledge about other countries with them. There's also the Imperial families who support the Emperor directly, the ronin and commoners who slip through the gaps, the minor clans given honor by the Emperor for some reason or another, the spirits and mystical creatures of neighboring realms, and even some foreigners. It's got a wealth of lore >.>

...sorry, just wanted to spaz.
haikuwu
aliasCooked Bread
pronounsThey / Him
623written posts
Toastyearned bits
offlinecurrently
Toasty
Part of the Furniture
Toasty Avatar
>w<
Definitely "The Legend of Zelda."

I've been playing "The Wind Waker" and "The Twilight Princess" on my old Wii, and I gotta say I love their stories! The old games are the best games~

And, uh, also (no judge)...

"Cucumber Quest"

Look it up if you want to know T^T
pronounsyes
257written posts
styrofoam eaterearned bits
offlinecurrently
styrofoam eater
styrofoam eater Avatar
i like the cronch
Morrowind. A lot of the surviving fandom today can be toxic at best.

Tried to play it earlier today and came to the grim realization that I fuckin destroyed my save file with mods. rip.

edit: dark souls + bloodborne + relatedstuff isn't obscure but it's so hard to find non rated r communities and/or fanfiction?? help
last edit on May 8, 2021 5:40:42 GMT by styrofoam eater
pronounsfeminine
379written posts
idindinearned bits
offlinecurrently
idindin
idindin Avatar
say rip to the last remnant. 

it has a unique gameplay but also kind of cumbersome. but the ost's super good, i loved all of the characters (even the frog), and i think i even memorized the general geography of the world map when i don't even memorize my own country's (screw me). too bad it wasn't received well because, again, performance issues(now fixed(?)), and... well, it wasn't received well in general ig. 

but again the ost's godlike. the battle theme changes according to your morale!!! and also i liked how i could tell how a specific track in ffxiv just felt different(twin adder's theme, beast mount theme) that it made me check the composer and, yeap. it's him!! felt like salvaging TLR gold. 

also i would have liked to see rush and david together for a bit more pls. 
aliasgraves
pronounshe/him
164written posts
gravesearned bits
offlinecurrently
graves
graves Avatar
villain kissing is fun, actually
d.gray-man! idk if it fully counts as obscure or not, but i've genuinely only met like 3 or 4 others who had ever heard of it or watched/read it. if you've got the time, i highly recommend the manga! the dub for the anime is,,, really bad but gkjfhdg early 2000's, what did ya expect y'know?

it was one of the first anime i'd ever watched and i fell in love so quick. it helped me a lot when i was going through a rough time due to family situations at the time and now i've watched it like 5 times

241written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
Probably a combination of both obscure and dead fandom; but I'd be very surprised if there's anyone else on this site who knows about Silent Möbius, and doubly so if they liked the series. Afterall, it's hard to think of an anime/manga series that has a combination of the following:

Action Girls
Police Drama/Buddy Cop Show
Cyberpunk Setting
Urban Fantasy
Lovecraft Lite inspired bestiary
Lots of shout outs to 80's/90's sci-fi and cyberpunk works, such as Bubblegum Crisis, Blade Runner, etc.
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
GateKeepers / GateKeepers 21

Like, Ukiya Shun? Ikusawa Ruriko? Houjo Yukino? Kageyama Reiji? Isuzu Ayane? Manazaru Miyu?

do these names ring any bells for anyone here or is it just me

pronounshe/him
50written posts
lucaearned bits
offlinecurrently
luca
luca Avatar
Just now... was that 'despair' I sensed in your voice?
Ven ☆ Avatar
GateKeepers / GateKeepers 21

Like, Ukiya Shun? Ikusawa Ruriko? Houjo Yukino? Kageyama Reiji? Isuzu Ayane? Manazaru Miyu?

do these names ring any bells for anyone here or is it just me

oooh my god i found two DVDs of this anime at a thrift store when i was like 8-9? i was obsessed. i haven't met anyone else that likes it lol. only recently found out they were based off of games.
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven ☆earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven ☆
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven ☆ Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
luca Avatar
oooh my god i found two DVDs of this anime at a thrift store when i was like 8-9? i was obsessed. i haven't met anyone else that likes it lol. only recently found out they were based off of games.

like ohmygod

Reiji, Reiji, REIJI

His story is just so—messed up and—when you realize he did what he did in GK21 it makes sense why he did what he had to before

And like—

There’s more than just one Ageless that exists!