aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,513written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
siel Avatar
does collaborating on a skin actually work?

i tried it once and ended up not exerting my opinion much so the end result was pretty much 100% the other person's aesthetic... i wonder how you do this without butting egos.

What Melon and I have done recently especially with this heckin' pink skin, because good HEAVENS, I am STRUGGLING is she'll do a sort of rough mock up, and then I'll code it/make tweaks to adjust it to my style. I'm not sure if that 100% counts? But I think that's a good way to have a blend of two styles without having to bump arms in the code, but finding a nice middle point between two creative minds.
211written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
pharaoh leap Avatar
What Melon and I have done recently especially with this heckin' pink skin, because good HEAVENS, I am STRUGGLING is she'll do a sort of rough mock up, and then I'll code it/make tweaks to adjust it to my style. I'm not sure if that 100% counts? But I think that's a good way to have a blend of two styles without having to bump arms in the code, but finding a nice middle point between two creative minds.

ahh this is like my DREAM scenario, with me coding someone else's mock. or like working with someone who's good at graphics that i could incorporate into a skin because i'm so shit at that. honestly i don't like working on projects by myself, because they almost never see the light of day that way lol
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,238written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
pharaoh leap Avatar
siel Avatar
does collaborating on a skin actually work?

i tried it once and ended up not exerting my opinion much so the end result was pretty much 100% the other person's aesthetic... i wonder how you do this without butting egos.

ngl, i really wish i could find someone to do this with.

i've always really struggled with the actual design portion of skinning (i'm not good with colors + aesthetics) but i always find it really enjoyable to do the actual coding portion of skinning when i'm in the mood for it. honestly, that probably affects my enjoyment of it, the internal dread whenever i get the itch to skin and know i have to pull a design out of my rear and hope i don't hate it in a month's time (or immediately), but i digress.

i guess my confession is that i would probably enjoy skinning a whole heck of a lot more if i was converting like.... visual screenshot style design mockups into actual skins vs having to do the whole thing myself from scratch.

praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
825written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
Kuroya Avatar
ngl, i really wish i could find someone to do this with.

i've always really struggled with the actual design portion of skinning (i'm not good with colors + aesthetics) but i always find it really enjoyable to do the actual coding portion of skinning when i'm in the mood for it. honestly, that probably affects my enjoyment of it, the internal dread whenever i get the itch to skin and know i have to pull a design out of my rear and hope i don't hate it in a month's time (or immediately), but i digress.

i guess my confession is that i would probably enjoy skinning a whole heck of a lot more if i was converting like.... visual screenshot style design mockups into actual skins vs having to do the whole thing myself from scratch.

same tbhh god i hate design
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
this might not be the most.... polite thing but if you're like me and have a hard time reading tiny fonts or viewing low contrast content, you can use stylus to override css. this is only gonna be a visible change to you.

( obviously dont make giant changes to someone's code, but i personally wouldn't care if someone wanted to edit something of mine for readability and/or accessibility purposes. and since it's only on your end, you're not posting a code for everyone else to see or claiming anything as yours. )
pronounsfeminine
383written posts
idindinearned bits
offlinecurrently
idindin
idindin Avatar
Iโ€™ve been staring at the index of my first skin butโ€ฆ I canโ€™t find the will to continue with the rest of the pages when the index feels like thereโ€™s something missingโ€ฆ x-x like it looks /okay/? But it feels like it doesnโ€™t have its own identity, and I don't know if it's because of the pictures i've used or because of the kinda-normal-bland layout . . .

but i guess it's my first skin and all so 'identity' is like, maybe something i'll come back to when i'm more familiar with coding + design!!!

shucks tho q^q
370written posts
elliearned bits
offlinecurrently
elli
elli Avatar
fossa Avatar
this might not be the most.... polite thing but if you're like me and have a hard time reading tiny fonts or viewing low contrast content, you can use stylus to override css. this is only gonna be a visible change to you.

( obviously dont make giant changes to someone's code, but i personally wouldn't care if someone wanted to edit something of mine for readability and/or accessibility purposes. and since it's only on your end, you're not posting a code for everyone else to see or claiming anything as yours. )

Ah, don't worry -- there's nothing impolite about this at all. In fact, forum skinners are probably the only group of people I know of, besides corporations, who so maniacally protect their (amateur) code and illegible designs. If they didn't want users making CSS edits in the browser, they should have made a more accessible site. That's on them, don't feel bad.

Many of us out here in the real world actually want a good experience for our users. So if something we've done isn't working for you, by all means, let us know or use extensions to improve your experience. It's really ok.

I actually encourage others to make changes to my code (and others'). It is a very effective way to learn. The problem comes with claiming that resulting code as 100% your own.
After over 17 years, I've decided to move on from ProBoards. If you need to contact me, find me on my website.
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW