Coding Confessions

210written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
sleepy Avatar
two confessions!

one: sometimes while taking a break from coding i go to sites with errors in their skin and play with the inspector tool until it's fixed. i feel too embarrassed to share it with the staff tho asjkggh i dont want to offend them, especially if i know one of the staff made the skin

two: when im in the middle of a coding project i can barely concentrate on writing. coding always ends up taking first priority and since im working on a big one rn my backlog is this close to pulling a knife on me
i can only speak for myself, but i love when people notice issues with my code and send in corrections!

you can always phrase it in a way that doesn't push yourself as ~an authority~ if you're worried you'll sound obnoxious:
hey guys, i get this issue when i view the skin [screenshot]. adding this code fixed it for me [snippet]
imo telling a coder their skin is broken is like letting someone know their fly is down. sure it's a bit embarrassing, but it saves a lot more embarrassment in the future :')
last edit on Jul 21, 2021 0:39:26 GMT by siel
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
aliasthat bitch.
pronouns"that bitch" still works tbh (any OK!)
551written posts
selkieearned bits
offlinecurrently
selkie
Part of the Furniture
selkie Avatar
a verb in perfect view.
wait serious q is there any reason these days to use float over flexbox/grid outside of cross compatibility/dragging-IE's-corpse-along stuff?? outside of like, aligning block elements like images n shit with text i basically never use it 😭

speaking of cross compatibility, coding confession: f**k safari all my homies hate safari
weeping omens advertisement

all my proboards templates require the style tags plugin!
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,786written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
selkie Avatar

speaking of cross compatibility, coding confession: f**k safari all my homies hate safari

I hate safari and opera and I will die on this hill. My designer friend refuses to use anything else so she sends me everything broken and I stare into the sun and ask it to fry me like a potato chip.
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,501written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
Neko Avatar
selkie Avatar
I hate safari and opera and I will die on this hill. My designer friend refuses to use anything else so she sends me everything broken and I stare into the sun and ask it to fry me like a potato chip.

Opera runs on Chromium, though, doesn't it? I use Opera and everything looks identical on Chrome in my experience.
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
820written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
pharaoh leap Avatar
Neko Avatar
Opera runs on Chromium, though, doesn't it? I use Opera and everything looks identical on Chrome in my experience.

it runs on A chromium. its not one to one w chrome / not necessarily has the same supported features across similar versions. i think for the most part it should tho?
last edit on Aug 2, 2021 5:46:27 GMT by bc
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,786written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
To the above, yes opera is fine 99% of the time. I'm just petty and hate the browser for like 2 times I had to find out what was wrong.

Also, graphic design is a prison and a passion - and I can code almost anything I want but actually creating coherent design. What is that.
the multi-fool
pronounsshe/her
140written posts
sleepyearned bits
offlinecurrently
sleepy
sleepy Avatar
it's a feast for my eyes
before coding forum skin: responsive design and cross-browser compatibility are important!!!
after coding forum skin: responsive design and cross-browser compatibility are blights upon society, and should be outlawed
praise the cats!
pronounshe/him
820written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
bc Avatar
sleepy Avatar
before coding forum skin: responsive design and cross-browser compatibility are important!!!
after coding forum skin: responsive design and cross-browser compatibility are blights upon society, and should be outlawed

they’re still important and u nvr feel that more when u start coding but it’s more the oh this is really hard and a fuck ton of work there’s so much oh no it’s VERY important :SWEAT:

jk it’s all a lie responsive design and cross browser compatibility r not Important they r Indoctrination hahahahahahahahha

h. e l p
aliasdismay
pronounsshe/her
445written posts
fossaearned bits
offlinecurrently
fossa
fossa Avatar
he's suppose to be DEAD
selkie Avatar
wait serious q is there any reason these days to use float over flexbox/grid outside of cross compatibility/dragging-IE's-corpse-along stuff?? outside of like, aligning block elements like images n shit with text i basically never use it 😭

realizing no one actually answered ur original q here but as far as i know from some quick googling:

float's fine for small elements, like aligning an icon to the left or right of a post. it doesn't offer the precision of flex & grid or the adaptability, but if you're not looking to have something perfectly centered or do a Specific Thing, then float's a super easy & light weight way to do it. i think the main issue with float (outside of the fact you can't align it specifically to top or bottom) is it can be a little uhh funky?? i've personally never had an issue with it but it can act up - especially if you have multiple floated elements near each other. 
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
sleepy Avatar
but responsive skins are super easy if you just take like 10 min to set up media queries/viewport. they're super easy to do, too.
idk, i code a ton for my job and never felt it was a chore. 
praise the cats!
pronounshe/him
820written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
bc Avatar
flare Avatar
sleepy Avatar
but responsive skins are super easy if you just take like 10 min to set up media queries/viewport. they're super easy to do, too.
idk, i code a ton for my job and never felt it was a chore. 

sometimes

i don't think they're too bad either (typically - i have coded the responsive site from hell), but it can take a long time to make sure everything works - because sometimes ur also basically just designing a new site for certain viewpoints, and that can be a huge pain
last edit on Aug 9, 2021 15:27:52 GMT by bc
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW