pronounsshe, they
76written posts
hotaryuearned bits
offlinecurrently
hotaryu
hotaryu Avatar
one day!
I wish someone had told baby RPer me:
  • To communicate more/overcommunicate with your fellow RPers re: plots etc. Threads aren't gonna write themselves
  • It's great to invest in ships and juicy plots, but what's even sexier is if both of you in the ship/plot are giving each other the same amount of energy
  • It's more sensible and sustainable to be happy with just 1-2 developed characters than have 20 charas while having trouble keeping up with your threads and you realize you don't know them as well 
  • Set healthy boundaries! 

aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
- Stop spending time with people and on sites that have standards which I can meet but ultimately stress me out. โ€œPrestigeโ€ writing circles can often cultivate an environment of barely-contained rivalry and competition wherein it will drain the fun out of me writing and interacting with other writers.

- Thereโ€™s a reason why I called the group of people who I made a forum with, did anime faceclaims with (and even edited their claims to better fit their characters sometimes) friends and not the 800 or much more word count minimum โ€œliterateโ€ RP forums I played on during the same time who would have been extremely passive-aggressive towards me for participating in any RP that did faceclaims.

- There is no shame in experimentation with writing styles that go beyond standard manuscript writing and as matter of fact, itโ€™s fun to stylize writing in ways I would never do for one of my novels! As a matter of fact, RP is so much more fun like this. Basically: please chill, past self.

- You can ask people to edit their templates to be more readable to you whenever theyโ€™re roleplaying with you, or edit them using inspect element/extensions if youโ€™re too shy to ask them. Most people are understanding, and if theyโ€™re not, then itโ€™s fine to no longer want to play with them.

- You donโ€™t have to apply to become staff on every site that has applications open. You can just chill. Please just chill sometimes.

- When everyoneโ€™s a stranger to you, youโ€™re also a stranger to them.

- Itโ€™s okay to ask other people to start threads. You donโ€™t have to start everything.

- Most people actually love it when you draw art of their characters and you should share your doodles about characters or threads more often. ... Still working on this one because I'm shyyy

- It actually isn't "creepy" to read RP threads you're not involved in. The group of people who shamed me for this was just...strange and toxic and maybe just self-concision about their own writing.

- More people are understanding than you think whenever you end up vanishing/having to ghost them. Some people will just be overjoyed to write with you again, even if others are understandably hurt by your sudden absence, so returning can be worth a try for anywhere you really want to be.

last edit on Aug 13, 2023 15:11:02 GMT by Wraith
Catscape Meow!
the chalk prince
aliasecho
pronounsthey / them
917written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
Wraith Avatar
- It actually isn't "creepy" to read RP threads you're not involved in. The group of people who shamed me for this was just...strange and toxic and maybe just self-concision about their own writing.
i wish more people understood this. long ago i wish someone told me that it was okay to read and "creep" on other's threads. that's one of the things we sign up for when joining a rp forum, especially a public rp forum. honestly, i wish more people would see it as a good thing! i love reading other people's writings and witnessing their stories unfold.
last edit on Aug 13, 2023 20:28:20 GMT by citrinitas
pronounshe/him
730written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
It's ok to spend only 5-10 minutes on a post. It's ok if it's short. "Effort" is subjective and sometimes it's more fun to move the thread along than post a big-ass 500 word monster.

(not that my 500 word monsters take me that long, but that's because I only post them when I'm inspired now.)
last edit on Aug 14, 2023 13:56:49 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
citrinitas Avatar
Wraith Avatar
i wish more people understood this. long ago i wish someone told me that it was okay to read and "creep" on other's threads. that's one of the things we sign up for when joining a rp forum, especially a public rp forum. honestly, i wish more people would see it as a good thing! i love reading other people's writings and witnessing their stories unfold.
Agreed! I've noticed most people are actually flattered to hear you care about their stories even when they don't include you. Also, I think it makes potential storytelling so much more fun. I love writing something and knowing, oh hey, isn't Character A doing a thing I can tie to with this plot? And then pitching to them and getting a better storyline going as a result.

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
citrinitas Avatar
Wraith Avatar
where do i find these creeps so i can pay them to read the things i write for free and tell me how they liked it