aliasecho
pronounsthey / them
917written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
i saw a similar thread on cttw while perusing a few days ago, and i liked the concept! ( if it's already been done before, i'm sorry D: )

i wish someone told me that not everything was a big deal and it wasn't worth getting worried sick over.
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
704written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
[...] that no individual plot is the sole thing someone can have or write. people can want to focus on other things, and you're allowed to do it too. it's not the end of the world if something loses steam when the engine's still running.

coming soon.
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
Expectations are the thief of joy. The reward of roleplay is in the writing of the roleplay itself.

The sooner you drop expectations for specific outcomes in your roleplay, the more you can be pleasantly surprised by where your stories lead you instead.
241written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
That RP isn't a numbers game. Too many admins โ€” but especially those who are new to running a community โ€” have fallen for the allure of "bigger is better"/"the more the merrier" for their site(s). I.e. Being too fixated in growing their member base at the expense of just about everything else. Like, not caring if these members integrate well into the community and/or are able to get plots with other members. This often leads to a vicious cycle where even though the site gets a lot of new registrants, it has a poor member retention rate โ€” and to make up for the members that drop from the site, the admins bring in more registrants... and the cycle continues. Yes, the more the merrier, but let's not forget that too many cooks spoil the soup as well. Quality over quantity!
last edit on Oct 31, 2022 8:42:40 GMT by The Law
pronounsThey/Them
61written posts
Wickearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wick
Wick Avatar
I wish someone had told very, very young me that rp involves writing with other people, not just next to them.

As a shy, socially inept teenager, I had no idea! My idea of rp was creating characters and writing posts of them doing things by themselves. Super boring. Thank goodness I learned how to reach out and communicate and plot with others, it's made things way more fun!
aliasJinny
26written posts
jinsyteaearned bits
offlinecurrently
jinsytea
jinsytea Avatar
There is no genie in a lamp here.
Wish somebody told me to just keep it casual with rp partners. Seems like the closer I get, the more I view people as friends, the more I end up burned. Keeping it casual 2023.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,237written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
i wish someone had said out loud way earlier that shipping isn't something to be ashamed of since shippy plots are the most likely to get a long-term commitment since it's One Person You Can Rely On (tm) to actually reply to you + is the kind of plot most likely to see enough emotional investment from both parties to motivate consistent participation

an ex-rp friend said it today to me and i was just ".............. oh." because it suddenly felt like so much became clearer to me tbeh

aliasSyra#1427
pronounsShe/Her
31written posts
syraearned bits
offlinecurrently
syra
syra Avatar
LF bleach roleplayers and staff for a one piece site for a friend
Kuroya Avatar
i wish someone had said out loud way earlier that shipping isn't something to be ashamed of since shippy plots are the most likely to get a long-term commitment since it's One Person You Can Rely On (tm) to actually reply to you + is the kind of plot most likely to see enough emotional investment from both parties to motivate consistent participation

an ex-rp friend said it today to me and i was just ".............. oh." because it suddenly felt like so much became clearer to me tbeh
Definitely this, I came into the thread with a similar thought. I wish someone would had told me that shipping plots were not just cringed fanfiction and smut writing but also a way to develop a character, address off-panel/off-screen issues, actions, and dialogue in a way to emotionally grow your character and mature them.

HALYCON DAYS: a canon bleach rp forum
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
To echo and -- the point of roleplay is to write what YOU find fun.

Not what other people say is fun. Not what other people believe should be fun for you.

Write what you, yourself, enjoy writing. Even if other people don't get it.

You're not writing for them.
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
390written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
That it's totally okay if you can't write with everybodyโ€” though of course, I'll try my best when I'm a staffer, I've learned not to take it as personally if I'm not able to write with everybody on a forum. Sometimes, characters don't click, or we don't all get along OOC, and it's totally fine! We're all just trying our best here and want to write. As long as you aren't purposefully excluding others and are down to write when someone attempts to plot with you, you're in the clear. I can't expect everybody to want to write with me, and that's totally okay tooโ€” life is busy, and sometimes we can't have larger thread loads. Most of the time, it isn't a testament to your personal abilities.

Coming from mostly smaller sites, I'd felt this effect more, and having mostly been a staffer for the past couple years had made me feel obligated to make sure I was writing with everybody, but it's honestly better just to follow what sparks joy and to return what energy you're given.
no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
171written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
be indulgent, tbh. don't write or suggest things you aren't excited for, because you're only wasting their time (& yours). a 'no' is infinitely better than a halfhearted 'yes' + otherwise getting/giving the run around

oh. & if you were excited for it at first, but got a few posts in & decided it wasn't heat, that's okay too. but do be sure to let them know so you don't leave them on read. 'cause it sucks to see someone posting for everyone else but not you :/
last edit on Dec 12, 2022 16:37:23 GMT by ace.
aliasantiviral
pronounsHe/Him
217written posts
Beetleearned bits
offlinecurrently
Beetle
Beetle Avatar
Repeat after me: Any post is better than no post! Don't get wrapped up in writing the most perfectest post in the world. Some posts will be long, some will be short. Some will be shit, some will be masterpieces. The important thing is giving your partner something legible that pushes the plot forward, rather than accidentally ghosting a thread just because you didn't think your writing was good enough. Especially since I feel like most sites these days are low or no word counts.

Solar Waltz
, an 18+ panfandom set in nyc
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven โ˜†earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven โ˜†
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven โ˜† Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
โ€ฆthat itโ€™s alright to put a little of ourselves in our OCs and not pretend to write something youโ€™re not good at

Because at the end of the day, who doesnโ€™t put a little of themselves into the characters they write for?