Plots you wish you finished

932written posts
gimmickearned bits
offlinecurrently
gimmick
Part of the Furniture
gimmick Avatar
All birds and men are sure to die but songs may live forever
A tale as old as time: you're two posts into a thread or halfway through; or you've talked it all out and plots are just picking up—and then it happens. The site closes, someone leaves, you leave, etc etc.

What are the plots you started and wished you could've explored further or threaded? The unresolved arcs, dynamics that you still think back on? Threads you wish you finished? 

This is a thread for the things that never ended; the closure you never got.
last edit on Feb 17, 2023 14:57:25 GMT by gimmick
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,235written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
sometimes i still think about the original arc i had for my wol that i tried to adapt a few times to forums over the years only to go absolutely nowhere + the various times i attempted to do a variation of "sword gets turned into a human + has a gigantic crush on their wielder" (first with falchion from fire emblem, then with excalibur) and make soft sad noises because those are two of my big plots i've wanted to play out for almost a decade now, off and on, and i've just never had a partner interested in them. maybe i'll try them again on my own site i say despite knowing that this is still a problem and i'd be sad to try again only to continue to get nowhere cuz i wouldn't have a partner to do the thing with.

but i also find myself thinking about my marvel/dc days and listen, i'm not saying i don't long for giving bucky the homecoming arc he deserved + playing out loki's funky little "i'm an apologist for my boyfriend" arc with fandral + going back to raven having her past come back to bite her when the titans getting back together drags both jason and dick out of the woodwork for old feelings to resurface + yelling about jinx and wally being exes that aren't over each other entirely + cackling as damian al ghul and conner kent make all three of their dads stop fighting to agree on breaking them up (which just makes them date each other even harder)..... but i'm not not saying that.

edit !!!!!!! guess i'll be doin falchion after all folks, a friend wants to feed him after this and i'm so excited!!!!!!
last edit on Feb 17, 2023 20:31:20 GMT by Kuroya

no angel
alias██████
pronounszimzala/bim
170written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
so it wasn't ever...plotted out/discussed past an initial meetup...but i did accidentally become the leader of a faction once (after every other character meant to be in charge died). i remember wanting to cozy up to the head of my character's rival faction (as one-sided a rivalry as it was), but eventually betray + bomb it somehow. maybe whip my character's genius brother into creating medieval nukes, idk

as for uncompleted threads:

— luring some rich kid into corruption (?) with my assassin.
m/c shot someone else's in an alley (on accident); a post-thread that dealt with the fallout could've been nice.
impromptu ghost-hunting in a gas station.
last edit on Feb 18, 2023 1:34:53 GMT by ace.
aliasNova
pronounsShe/her
159written posts
Novaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Nova
Nova Avatar
My biggest plot ever was sorta dnd style fire emblem paralogue revolving around my character, where he took all of his childhood best friends to investigate a small town who was attacked by monsters. I had it planned out that the triplet NPCs that the group meet were from a similar military background as my character, with one being a renowned healer and the other a decked out soldier.

After investigating the wreckage, it would appear that the stories of the monsters weren't lining up, where the last triplet comes in and explains that the monster caught someone in the woods. There it's discovered this triplet had sprung a trap, set to kill my character for a grudge held between their fathers in the military. Hence dnd battle against the monsters the evil triplet was actually controlling, and the healer and soldier pair (both military and knew my character, so did not have the same grudge) would help the group in defeating them.

The ending would've ended in my character being nearly deleted by magic from the evil triplet, ideally by saving one of his friends. Literally end scene there where he's being taken to the hospital and just a "Congrats you finished!" I had even planned to not rp him for a few weeks after just to be dramatic and the is he ded jokes. Afterwards I would have dropped his fc switch and reveal that he was alive, but was experimented on to become a super soldier (which aligned with the site plot). Dev post drop, and then explore his new life.

The site closed about 1/4 of the way in the thread so I didn't even get to tell those involved how it was gonna go and how much planning I did orz. I'd loved to fully play out all of their dynamics during the thread and after, not just for my character but also see among those involved. But it was a neato idea anyway, and I got some closure with writing out an ending with his endgame ship later on.
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
701written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
honestly there's a LOT of unfinished plots i had that i wanted to see through, but ended up unfinished due to closed sites or private rps dying off in interest / investment eventually. but some that i still think abt until now include: (spoilered all of these out of length bc i cannot shut up abt old plots tbh)

a noblewoman bargaining herself as a political hostage for one powerhouse (A) she didn't trust with the intention of securing her safety by making herself an asset / spy to another powerhouse (B) whom (A) was loyal to. all to protect / secure the future of her territory. eventually i was planning on having this evolve toward her becoming a spymaster-like figure for her territory, using all that experience to her advantage.

a stalwartly loyal and morally ambiguous (read: murderous / anti-aristocracy extremist) priest-like figure joins a cult in the search for a purpose and something to believe in and something "Right"(TM), completely doubling down on the kool-aid being offered to them, and eventually following their leader to a warzone. i planned on deathflagging the character in said warzone plot beat; if a pc wanted to kill them, i'd be down for it. if they survived the encounter, they would likely have been completely on their own, lost, with a crisis of faith, and aimlessly wandering while figuring out "what comes next after all i've done". whether that would have turned into a redemption arc or a tragedy or karmic justice was smth i left completely up in the air, but i rlly liked how open-ended the possibilities were.

simply put: a character of mine started from the very bottom (npc to another ship's development), got some of the worst possible cards they could have gotten (being turned into a vampire against her will), only to rise above her circumstances through a long series of events and eventually become a city-wide hero ++ the canon of a new faction. got a new snazzy title: the Judge, and was in the middle of a plotline involving uncovering a black market weapons conspiracy that i rlly liked bc of the further dev it would have given her + she would have eventually been granted a cure for her vampirism by someone she once deemed an enemy, allowing her her future again + a lifetime she could properly spend with her (mortal) ship partner. but then the site closed. :"D

stubborn and spiteful ragtag journalist who doesn't believe in ghosts but runs a paranormal detective agency with her (believer) friend and a psychic intern is given a case: help a demon prince stuck inside the body of a child (due to a summoning ritual gone wrong) return back to hell. the catch is that, prior to the case, the journalist was severely traumatized via almost getting killed + her coworkers nearly getting killed by a cult. so she would have hatched a deal with the demon prince in secret: she helps him get back home if he helps expose / investigate / retaliate against the cult and he would have made a pact with her that gave her the ability to burn things with her hands. very much was going to be a deconstruction of a revenge arc. the rp died off before she could make a deal with the demon though. :"D
(bangs hands on table) ENEMIES TO LOVERS RIVALS IN AN SAO-ESQUE VIDEO GAME BETWEEN A MASKED MERCENARY THAT SEEMED LIKE A BAD BOY TROPE + WAS CONSTANTLY OFF'ING A GUILD'S MEMBERS IN THIS GAME AND A SUNSHINE GIRL PART OF THE GUILD HE MAKES A DEAL WITH: BEAT HIM IN A FIGHT, FIGURE OUT HIS RL NAME, AND HE WOULD LEAVE HER GUILD ALONE + WOULD REVEAL WHY IT SEEMS LIKE HE KNOWS HER RL. it would then turn out that the mercenary was actually a fencing classmate of hers who almost immediately recognized her in the game (bc the sunshine girl's avatar wasn't so different from her real appearance ++ she and her guild were becoming esport-level famous). he also would have turned out to be a lazy, slacker goth girl who's just cocky when she puts a mask on and very, very bad at flirting. the rp ALSO died off before the two could meet properly for a duel but i still think abt it from time to time. they're both dorks and i'm still so attached to this ship even now. so much. if i can redo this dynamic again in some capacity i'd fucking jump to do it, bro.

not so much a plot for rp, but the plot of a short dnd campaign i was dm-ing that didn't go past the first few sessions: a duke hires the party to steal a relic from a holy church during a special vigil where a number of important political figures in the empire would attend. the duke asks them to replace the relic with a fake variant so the church would be less likely to act asap. as the party does favors for the duke in preparation for the heist, they might start to learn that things aren't all that it seems. eventually, once they do the heist and (ideally) succeed and run away from the scene of the crime -- the church explodes. the fake relic they dropped there in place of the old one was actually a bomb. if they return to the duke's estate in an attempt to figure out what to do / how to hide, it turns out the inquisition would have already killed the duke because they learned he was part of a terrorist group that wanted to upset the current systems of the kingdom and the party would have to go on the run.

the campaign was meant to introduce the players of that party to dnd using story tropes i knew we all liked (a heist, twists, complications, lore, avenues for found family, political intrigue, etc.) and keep it straightforward enough that there's a clear arc / story direction to keep everyone invested, but also open-ended enough that if they enjoyed playing dnd and their characters, there would be a bouncing off point for everyone / a plot to continue. i'm still rlly proud of it and eventually, a year or two later, told my party about the full plan. they all agreed that it would have been insane to experience and it was a missed opportunity that we never found the time to complete the campaign, but at least we all know what could have been.

coming soon.
pronounsshe, her
197written posts
clefairy 🌙earned bits
offlinecurrently
clefairy 🌙
clefairy 🌙 Avatar
Did you mean: all of them?

My luck is super bad in rpc where.... all my plots fall through some way or another. :' D

But some I was excited for that I can remember:

-- Adopted Pauper Spare turned Noblewoman discovers her origins and goes onto a self-discovery and acceptance arc despite being so obsessed with her Noble Identity prior. This dev pushes her into accepting her guard who was actually an Exiled Prince of the imperialist queen her country is under (who she had met prior and unintentionally charmed). She and the Prince were supposed to become revolutionaries, her turning into a Jeanne D'Arc type (and probably falling for said Prince) to free the people from a literal dictator.

-- Leader of a vampire clan discovers a black market for anti-vampire weapons. This leads her to unraveling a conspiracy under her nose of a city she thought she knew, and eventually I wanted this to become another revolution LOL. Or essentially a Civil Rights-esque movement for monsters after the anti-monster site events and factions that had happened. I also wanted to do a character study for said Leader since she's pretty much in a position of power after struggling to gain it for so long... only to find out she's still a victim to others' bigotry no matter how far she's come. This and paired to her self-destructive tendencies towards relationships was something I was interested in. I thought this was super cool too bc of that particular character's life & how she became a vampire. It's like she cycled around LOL.

-- I reused a similar plot above for a similar site but instead examined in-group dynamics (so vampires vs vampires) and the consequences of it butttt. Got kinda side-swept from my feet. :' D

'tis the rpc life ig.

Likewise one time I had my character nearly assassinated to get dev but aaaa threads kept dropping so I was just 🧍‍♀️ in trying to figure stuff out. It grew too stressful so it's kinda an unacknowledged event hcbfhfh.

-- I wanted to do a cult plotline but never could get interest.

-- Noblewoman betrays her country to avoid war!! She wasn't a major player but I was interested in expanding it. Site closed tho oop.
last edit on Feb 18, 2023 20:45:42 GMT by clefairy 🌙
aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
205written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
I miss those threads where I took a character that really shouldn't be taking care of another human being, doting on younger muses that don't really have parents. Feeding them, giving them advice, making sure they're getting enough sleep while completely neglecting their own needs. God that shit filled my heart so much. It's a shame it never went any further, I think that one muse had like four adopted daughters because of that. 

pronounsshe/her
193written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
Sometimes I daydream about writing my last main the way I really wanted to. She got watered down by the desire to people please, and every time I brainstormed a way to make her be perceived as the character I wanted her to be, I got cold feet because I knew how unpopular that mod decision would be.

But I always dreamed of a zealous arc, one that really leaned into her aspects of merciless judgment and self-righteousness. When you are so hardliner “good” your actions can become evil.
aliasCC, Cheat
8written posts
Cheatcodeearned bits
offlinecurrently
Cheatcode
Cheatcode Avatar
there were SO many plots that i wanted to finish, but if i had to choose the one i'd like to finish or at the very least continue as long as it can go:

tldr on a cyberpunk discord rp server, a corporate woman that's high in the ranks meets a woman that's a pro in technology and very much anti-corporate cross paths when the former needs someone to help decipher a message. the latter woman reluctantly helps, but only because the pay is high and enough for her to move out to a safer place. of course, corpo woman is a bitch and plays cat and mouse with the techie woman. immediate enemies trying to have the one up over one another. it's an endless battle of who has the upper hand and can screw the other one over better.

unfortunately the server got hella toxic ooc and i forgot to add the person that i rp'd with after i left :(((((
last edit on May 2, 2023 22:04:18 GMT by Cheatcode
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
172written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
So, when I was really young, I made this character who used a halberd and hit people with it in order to heal them — this was on a lark, a joke made in our site’s chat at the time!

She ultimately became a rather serious character, very important to the group as the...only healer somehow! And due to the power scaling on the site, she ended up somehow becoming an extremely powerful healing...we’re talking almost with the ability to resurrect characters type-stuff.

The group was doing too well.
I got tired of her being so good at healing.

So, when a character died, she tried to revive them from the dead...but magical backlash happened, and she started decaying, slowly turning into an undead-sort-of-thing, with her ability to heal gone.

Life happened, as it does, and I ended up not writing on that site anymore. We all had plans for what would happen, character reactions, how much harder of a time the group would have...some other great character development plots. It was a long time ago but I still think about it sometimes.

Catscape Meow!
aliasNwah
pronouns¯\_(ツ)_/¯
239written posts
Noireearned bits
offlinecurrently
Noire
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Noire Avatar
No cracks, no breaks; no mistakes
The twin brothers who personified Dragon Age's mage-templar conflict

The pessimistic one who escaped and grew up in hiding, forever looking over his shoulder for the day he'd be dragged back and caged for the crime of being born wrong, and dedicating all the moments inbetween to tearing down the Tower still holding his brother

The other who grew up inside the system, who saw firsthand how magic could be dangerous - that his brother was dangerous - and yet for it all, still held the optimism to change it for the better without just invoking a bloodcost too great to keep them fettered

And then #2 is literally every plot where I expected my character to die by the end, lmao

I guess I just like my dramatically tragic story arcs like that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sorojin's Labyrinth
aliasBunny
pronounsThey/Them/Their
151written posts
★BUNNY★earned bits
offlinecurrently
★BUNNY★
★BUNNY★ Avatar
There was a villainous character I had in the Kingdom Hearts universe that I built and fleshed out overtime perfectly! She was a heartless based on Harpies, spoke French, and was based on a ravenous hunger. I remember being so in-tune with that character I had a flood of DMs where we were building up to a plot where she would work behind the scenes devouring her cohorts one-by-one while blaming it on the heroes (and it was a canon forum so it was so hilarious since the protagonist like Sora being blamed for offing villains was funny).

I miss writing as her and sure would like to finish that plot where she eventually would reveal herself to be a traitor. The deals she made to get the things she wanted just always made me chuckle like a silly little child!~
101written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
On a Fire Emblem site, I had a bunch of interesting story threads running with two other people, involving a kingdom on the brink of ruin and the prince who stepped forward to take charge and lead the nation to glory.

Sadly, the site died before we could finish the story, and I've since lost touch with both roleplay partners. I can't even remember the site name.