write a reply

anxiety from reading replies to your post?

the waking storm
aliasLuxu, TenebraeQueene
pronounsShe/They
313written posts
Galeforceearned bits
offlinecurrently
Galeforce
Galeforce Avatar
covered in scars but roses are coming through the cracks
as said on the tin. i dunno why. but sometimes, more often than not. i'll write this really good post that i'm proud of and eager to put out there. but then i get overwhelmed with his mass of anxiety awaiting to read my rp partner's reply. like, i don't get it? what am i nervous about? it's like i get worried my post will have consequences? i really don't understand it. maybe it ties to my actual social anxiety.

but i get super nervous when people read and reply to my posts sometimes. then i end up in this situation where i don't wanna read it, so i ghost my rp partner for like a week before i manage to get the courage to read and reply! it's frustrating cause i love to write and interact and create these fun stories with other people! but also, anxiety is terrible and i tend to judge my writing skills and i suddenly don't wanna write for a bit.

any clue what causes this? and how to handle it when it gets to be a hindrance? (without therapy, preferably. because i don't wanna talk to my therapist about how i can't write on an online roleplay forum because i get anxious sometimes LOL)

edit: it may help that i also have ADHD and autism, and that may tie into my difficulties.
last edit on Nov 30, 2023 20:20:27 GMT by Galeforce
the chalk prince
aliasrook
pronounsthey / them
924written posts
citrinitasearned bits
offlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
i used to get really anxious when waiting for replies from partners, even if those partners were close friends of mine. actually it was especially because they were close friends. now i don't really know how to say this but the way i got over it was by reminding myself that people are a lot braver on the internet. they will tell you if they have issues with your reply, if they have them at all.

most times i will remind myself that i wouldn't lie about liking a post to save face, and then i remind myself that it's likely the same for other people. with limited time and energy to spare, why would people use those spoons just to make someone else feel better?

as a fellow autistic and adhd-er, it is hard to remember these facts but they are true. it's also hard but sometimes you just gotta fake it until you make it.

i'm sorry this isn't very helpful, but thats my thought process.
211written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
this is exactly my problem. actually, for me it's sharing any of my writing period. it's weird because it wasn't so bad for me when i was younger. now i get so tired from the anxiety pre-posting that i just avoid doing any of it because i don't want to trouble other people with my behavior. really, the most frustrating thing about anxiety is how it makes you zoom into the minutiae of life and all the tiny things become so exhausting.

i like 's suggestion because that's worked for my anxiety in other areas of life. but it's a slow process and sometimes i backslide into losing my courage again :')
last edit on Nov 30, 2023 21:53:25 GMT by siel
375written posts
watcherearned bits
offlinecurrently
watcher
watcher Avatar
Not diagnosed or anything, but I suffer this occasionally... from any sort of reply, not just in posting--- I've run away from email and Discord replies before.

I've taken to pulling the band-aid off so to speak, and checking people's replies even if I'm scared of doing so, but once in a while it still gets the better of me.

It is fairly proven in my experience that the reply wouldn't be as bad as you think it is, but anxiety is generally irrational.
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
174written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
Here, have my word slop personal anecdotes, not sure how much it will help but --

Anxiety and excitement/other more positively regarded emotions tend to go hand in hand and itโ€™s... if I care about something, there is a higher chance I will be anxious about it? I often take a โ€œdo it scaredโ€ approach, or at least I try to. While I experience a disordered amount of anxiety, it also helps for me to remember that anxiety alone is an emotion that everyone feels

Sharing creative work with others feels vulnerable in a few senses and itโ€™s easy to flinch myself away from sharing my art or writing โ€” and with RP, both combine โ€” and sequester all my work away so that none can judge it in any way...and none else can like it, or give feedback that I want and need. This gets worsened by bad experiences to reference anxieties from but it helps for me to recall all of the positive things, such as compliments, or the ways Iโ€™ve improved thanks to being brave enough to share.

As a matter of fact! I still struggle in showing other people my art or writing, but I have been getting better at it over time.

I think about how much reading othersโ€™ writing and writing with them has given me joy, and try not to convince myself that Iโ€™m incapable of being someone people enjoy playing with too. I make it clear I appreciate direct and clear communication โ€” when it comes down to social interaction, I dislike being forced to read between the lines since Iโ€™m often wrong or just bad at it โ€” because that is what I like to give others too.

...and another thing I do is that I read replies almost exclusively on mobile, which helps for some reason? I donโ€™t know how, or how, but itโ€™s just much easier for me to read RP replies on mobile and I find myself avoiding it less that way? Change the environment, change the way I feel, maybe? I can't, for the life of me, write on mobile, I don't possess that kind of eldritch power, but it's easier for me to read them this way.

Itโ€™s been all about trying to adjust my mentality over time, to moderate amounts of success, but being gentle with myself too.

Catscape Meow!
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Galeforce Avatar
as said on the tin. i dunno why. but sometimes, more often than not. i'll write this really good post that i'm proud of and eager to put out there. but then i get overwhelmed with his mass of anxiety awaiting to read my rp partner's reply. like, i don't get it? what am i nervous about? it's like i get worried my post will have consequences? i really don't understand it. maybe it ties to my actual social anxiety.

but i get super nervous when people read and reply to my posts sometimes. then i end up in this situation where i don't wanna read it, so i ghost my rp partner for like a week before i manage to get the courage to read and reply! it's frustrating cause i love to write and interact and create these fun stories with other people! but also, anxiety is terrible and i tend to judge my writing skills and i suddenly don't wanna write for a bit.

any clue what causes this? and how to handle it when it gets to be a hindrance? (without therapy, preferably. because i don't wanna talk to my therapist about how i can't write on an online roleplay forum because i get anxious sometimes LOL)

edit: it may help that i also have ADHD and autism, and that may tie into my difficulties.

Try to take the pressure off of yourself a bit. In character consequences are huge opportunities for growth. Out of character consequences are essentially just learning whether or not you've found a compatible writing friendo. It isn't a poor reflection on you if you and another person don't gel well.
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
I remind myself every single person doing roleplay wants to have fun.

Look. We aren't here to win prizes or awards, we aren't here to be Very Important Writers, we are here to write our little characters doing stories we are jazzed about, and we decided to write with other people on purpose. We could be fanfic writers! Or write fiction novels! Instead, we choose to do a collaborative hobby because we enjoy thriving off other people's creativity.

If you like what you're doing, you'll find people who like the same things. Not everyone will like what you like, and that's okay! But your people will be excited about the stories you're telling.

What's the worst thing that happens if someone doesn't like your post? A stranger on the internet prefers stories you don't. That's it. I find it helps to remind myself how small the stakes are in roleplay, and it takes the edge off.
pronounsshe/hers
71written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
I am also sometimes anxious reading replies from others that pertain to my posts, or to the reception of my writing. And I'm not sure as to why, considering I've been part of this hobby since I was 15yo. I have this rule of thumb that I won't read tags until I am ready to reply, which I find sometimes helps mitigate the anxiety; or if I read a tag, regardless if I am willing to write or not, I must reply within the day while my reaction is fresh, lest I become dissonant. That is something I've been working on this past year, and I think I've been successful with for the past several months. Now if I can write 5+ RF posts within several hours... that would truly be something.

Also can sometimes be anxious about sharing my thoughts or reactions to my thread/rp partners, which is paradoxical of me because I am social in servers (at least I hope I am to others) but also shy :flushedhide_emoji:
last edit on Dec 1, 2023 5:02:22 GMT by irene
aliashannyfish
pronounsshe/they
140written posts
hannyearned bits
offlinecurrently
hanny
hanny Avatar
on the rain-soaked veranda, a small rainbow at your feet.
sometimes my anxiety comes from watching people volley on one thread or one character for a bit while i wait on replies to me - it's ridiculous, because i know i'm guilty of doing the same thing, and i have to remind myself that people's muse comes and goes, and diff threads stoke different bits of serotonin! it's not necessarily anything to do with me or my replies.

that being said, i'll still look at posts and be like "omfg what the hell is that" and wonder if people's reading comprehension is okay if they tell me they like it lmao. but truly we're all here to have fun and at the same time, people click as writing partners and sometimes they don't, but we're all just here to have fun and there's really not as much pressure as we put on ourselves.

ashes to ashes, dust to dust
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
Nother autistic adhder here too. I go through this too, but i cant say iโ€™ve ghosted my rp partner bc i get too anxious to read it. Rather, that happens to me when it comes to dmโ€™s or any form of communication sometimes. So this is just me throwing my exp about it and my guess on what itโ€™s about

But i think itโ€™s just overthinking in general and then having all these worries about how the respond could derail my day or break the expectations in my head and i would feel blindsided.

I do two things when this happens: 1) i disconnect from the internet and do something else. Itโ€™s no good to burn your mental energies and make the problem bigger than it is. 2) i confront it. You just need to yolo and do it, unfortunately. It will get better over time. Avoidance is a very maladaptive form of coping. We just need to rip the bandaid off and learn to regulate our emotions toward the subject. Takes practice and practice