pronounszimzala/bim
232written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
highly responsive to prayers
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁 Avatar
sites aren’t declining per se, i just think ones that don’t take off are getting shuttered quicker.
+ the ones that remain are pretty dead. i counted maybe ten rps last time i went crawling but few of them had more than like, 5 active people

to avoid double posting: i miss sites being big enough to drown in :/
last edit on Jun 2, 2024 23:32:34 GMT by ace.
aliassel, sell
pronounsany are ok
57written posts
capsellaearned bits
offlinecurrently
capsella
capsella Avatar
Yes! Scrolling down to a 'recent posts' area and seeing so many people posting on the same day. I think it's a strange, looping cycle. People who are looking for that big, active, diamond in the rough community aren't as willing to take chances on brand new sites, and so they won't ever build to be the big communities that are being searched for.

Obviously it's not something really feasible, since I'm pretty sure we all have different tastes when it comes to writing, but I wonder what would happen if everyone here linked up and promised to join the same site at once...
I'm @capsellas on discord! Feel free to reach out if you need anything.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,224written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
On the big sites/active sites thing... I agree with the above that a lot of people just aren't willing to take the chance. I've noticed that even when people post like... Interest checks and whatever. People that say that they're interested don't show up more than half the time.

aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
431written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Part of it could definitely be timing— I know I'm someone that comments on interest checks, but I also know that I might not be able to handle more than one site at a time. Which is unfortunate, I really do like some of the interest check concepts, but I might not necessarily be able to commit to it at the time.

At the end of the day, we're all just looking for a place to write. Maybe there might not be as many active forums as there used to be (I'm really thinking of how many choices I had circa 2017— I wish I branched out more back then when I had more time and energy to write a lot), but I'd say that there's merit in creating small, tight knit communities as well.
the wheels are singing
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
329written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Just a magical kitten
I honestly prefer smaller communities to larger ones (this includes both character count and member count) but it does get disheartening when they don't get enough activity to sustain more than a few months after opening.
pronounsD A R K
271written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
Lloydy Avatar
I want to join another site but my anxiety won't let me.

Anxiety is a huge bully, if you have a friend you trust! You should join with them, I find that helps a lot with anxiety. Good luck to you!
aliasray
pronounshe/him
97written posts
scaramoucheearned bits
offlinecurrently
scaramouche
scaramouche Avatar
one spark baby!
It’s rough out there ngl. I’m putting my whole heart and soul into something that I’m scared will flop. When you don’t have a built in group or rp friends, it’s taking a huge chance to make a site. Even to join one tbh. And there is a dearth of sites to choose from. I spent months looking before I caved and started building mine bc I wasn’t feeling the vibe or the content of current sites. It’s nothing personal at all, it’s just that I don’t want to join a site and end up that awkward island by himself in the corner.

So I feel the anxiety angle and the dissatisfaction with the current choices. All we can do is keep creating and hope something sticks!
pronounsAny
571written posts
offlinecurrently
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁
Part of the Furniture
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁 Avatar
Back on the site activity thing, I think it also doesn’t help when there appears to be a lot of serial ghosters either..? Idk if it’s just me but it feels like a false sense of expectation when you see like 20 people in a discord and a third of them aren’t active on site…..or even talk in the discord…

I’ve heard complaints about it anyways.