write a reply

how do u icon? [tips & tricks on image coloring]

352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
I open my Photoshop thinking to myself that i will make a fine-ass icon/hove today and then ending up botching the image. This is me for the last three-ish years in my rp. While, yes, I do have some (and minimal) improvements, the fact that I literally know nothing whenever I color-grade my images just bothered me a lot- no theories to guide at all, purely instinctual.

And I don't trust my instincts at ALL AND I ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT MAKES AN ICON GREAT- bc I am color-blind and my instincts are off. And I just look at the icons and think that it's "SO DAMN GREAT" without actually knowing why it's great color-wise because i cant name/distinguish the relationships of the color in an image at all. (this is me whenever i look at , , , , and 's icons & hovers here + so so so many more ppl). Honestly, there's so many ppl here who have gr8 icons !!!

It's not a hinder in making codes because there's a lot less factors, but with images, you need to factor out skin, line arts, and all that jazz. I just dont have any idea on how to go on with all those factors. I also think that my RL icons are better than my animanga ones, but like they're still not quite there???

Do you guys have any tips in making icons? Is the secret in a color palette LMAO? Like what do you think makes an icon & hover great? Do you guys have like a process whenever you edit image? Or you see an art and you go like "this kind of aesthetics would look great in this & that" and emulate that in Photoshop?
last edit on Dec 30, 2018 17:01:50 GMT by von
pronounsShe/Her
27written posts
aquilaearned bits
offlinecurrently
aquila
aquila Avatar
honestly, von, i think the icons and gfx you make are absolutely stunning, especially since they feature extremely vibrant color schemes - which i always have a soft spot for. however, icon techniques vary person to person depending on their own personal style. i can't speak for everyone, but i can definitely show you how i usually go about creating colors for my icons! and heck, if you want me to send you some psds and actions i have made, let me know! it's a good way of looking at the different layers and dissecting what's actually being done.

also!! a really big tip here, but don't be afraid to be bold with experimenting. tbh, photoshop has a lot of features, some which can be a little intimidating upon first glance. the best advice i can give is to just try things. play around with the curves, a lot. curves, actually, are my favorite thing with gfx!! that being said, here's a list of tools i usually use when creating icons: levels, curves, brightness/contrast, vibrancy, exposure, color balance, gradient, and selective color. you don't have to use all of them for every psd you make, but these are usually the ones that i love experimenting with the most. here's an example of how my layers usually look! 

i also like to keep in mind the skin of the site i'll be using these icons on. granted, not all the icons i make are going to be some I use. at that point, i usually will look at the character's aura and try to go with colors and themes that are present. for example, i tried to make shuichi's icons play with purple and blues (since, usually those are mystic and fantasy colors). but he's also not a bad guy, so adding in those vibrancy and exposures help keep things from getting dark. on contrast, akutagawa's icons (the new ones) are more faded leaving more room for a dark interpretation. levels play a key feature in aku's batch as they aid me in allowing it to appear shaded and dim. and then usagi was created to be vibrant and fun! i just feel thats what her character lowkey demonstrates!

in turn, i think it all depends on the emotions and balance you personally want to create. do not create icons with the intent for others, create them as if they were for yourself. use what you like to influence your themes and balance. if you look at what's trendy or just what other people like, you might feel more detached from your creation. just be yourself!! c:

also,, side note!! i am also completely okay, if there's a few people interested, to boot up photoshop one day and screenshare w/ you guys. i've successfully taught spica how to make hella cool gifs from it, so i could demonstrate my patterns with icons and gfxs as well!

etch o' sketch
aliasyung ecchi god
pronounsshe/they
149written posts
yung ecchiearned bits
offlinecurrently
yung ecchi
yung ecchi Avatar
you and i are gonna live forever.
I’m one of the many people in this world who are completely code-ignorant, so honestly, I can’t say anything about that! You’re really an awesome coder, probably one of the innovators of it in the animanga community. Seriously. Good job.

Anyway, making icons for me has been a lot of trial and error over the past year. Just earlier this year in May or so, I bought Photoshop! And I’m too shy (read: stubborn) to ask anyone for help, so it took me a long time trying to figure out the ins and outs of the program. I got to say, I was daunted, but it’s a big step up from using Pixlr!

The big thing for me is proportions. How the icon is angled, and “white space.” Basically, if there’s open space in the graphic, you have to angle it a certain way so there’s not too much open space? If that makes sense. I’m not the best at advice, but honestly, it’s a lot of practice until you find something that’s best for you!
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,500written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
, why on earth did you tag me, you're already waaaaaaaaaaaay better at anything graphics-related than I am, sdklfjhdskjfhskjfdhs.

My advice is all bad, but, uuuuuuuuuuh, as far as colors go, about the only adjustments I make are to saturation, which I bump up to infinity like an idiot, as well as a little bit of hue alterations. This is entirely personal preference, but I always like a little bit of blue in my colors. When playing around with red, I'll usually bump it a little into the red-violet area - not enough that you could stop calling it red, but enough to give it a bit of a cooler tone. Purples and greens get pushed closer to blue, as well. The only colors that really differ are yellows and oranges, which I push a little closer to the red side of the spectrum, as opposed to the green. Basically, tweak all colors to be a little more blue if they're close to it; otherwise, push them away from green. That's about all I do as far as color adjustments go. I'm terrible.

Otherwise, the only thing I make a point to do across icons and hovers is abiding by the rule of thirds as often as I can. I don't even usually measure it out, I just, like, eyeball it. My graphics are such a mess. End me.

I'm still in the past using Pixlr like a fool, and wishing for death every day. Don't be a Leap, Von. Don't be a Leap.
last edit on Dec 30, 2018 20:49:41 GMT by pharaoh leap
pronounsshe/her
328written posts
Mizoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Mizo
Mizo Avatar
If you are reading this, I am beautiful.
There's a lot of things to cover when it comes to coloring, but I generally follow a few rules to make hovers look good;

a. always have a focus on the hover. 200x300 isn't very big, so you need to know what you want to convey in the hover. If you want the focus to be on the face, make sure that around half the hover is showing only the face. If you want to show a certain part, always make sure it either ends up in the center/close to the center, or takes up most of the hover.

b. never ever use high contrast when coloring. You want to show a nicely colored picture, so never overdose on the contrast of the picture. You want to fade out the shadows a bit, and lower the pure whites of the image. I highly recommend using "levels" instead of "curves" in photoshop to do so because it's more straightforward.

c. saturated colors are okay, bright colors are not. What makes a coloring of an image too bright? Comparison.

When you color your hover, keep in mind that everyone will be inevitably looking at your hover as a whole. That means, if you put #000000 next to a neon color, you're making the neon color significantly more prominent, which is a huge no, if you want pleasing colors. What about saturated colors? Those are fine if they
complement each other, which means, I can turn on the saturation a bit more for a graphic that has brown, red, and orange tones, compared to turning up saturation for a graphic that has black, green, and red, because it will hurt people's eyes.

d. use contrast smartly. Take Aquila's hover as an example; both the hands are positioned around the pink bubble poodle(?), and that is located around the center of the graphic, with the face taking up most of the hover. However, because her graphic has a lower contrast, and a softer coloring, I will inevitably focus on the face/poodle instead of being drawn to a certain aspect or feeling like my eyes hurt. When you want your whole graphic to be viewed as how it is, never use high contrast; when you have a focus point on your graphic, dial up the contrast.

e. tones. When you want to add a border to the graphic, for example, consider what kind of effect you're going for. For example, aff buttons often have a prominent black border surrounding them with small text that too, has an outline. Why do they use a very black border instead of going for a complement like brown, if the aff button has reddish hues? That's because as an aff button, you want to outline the button and make sure people see the text. However, that wouldn't work for a hover, because the hover is big enough to be looked at, so in that case, you want to pick a color like brown, to complement reddish hues, instead of direct black. The bigger the graphic, the less likely you should be using very contrasting tones.

If you want to underscore the paleness of a graphic, add black to it. When you wan to underscore the darkness of a graphic, add light gray. However, the opposite is true; to make a bright graphic paler, add white and vice versa.

f. when you do icons, always make sure you never have the person too small in the picture. I've seen icons of people with their torso inside, and it's not a good icon if you want the focus to be on the face. If you want to make icons, you want to make sure the "vibe" you want to convey is in there. When you want to convey a character that is badass, look for red and black. When you want to convey a softness, duplicate the layer, lower the contrast of both layers, and then set the top layer to guassian blur, 0.3. Lower opacity/use soft light. Use gradients (soft light) as well, they can be helpful.

g. if you have difficulties coloring an icon from scratch, use psd colorings from deviantart, this is a lot of what I did when I'm inexperienced with photoshop setting, because it allows me to open the psd file in photoshop and just drag the layers to my graphic. I can also delete the settings or play around to see what I like, and combine it with other colorings.

h. icons/hovers are extremely different from banners. The former has limited space to work with, so you should either have a focus, or simpler images, instead of overly complex ones. If a hover/icon has too many things going on, I would just scroll past them instead of looking at them. However, when it comes to banner, because you have more space to work with, you can actually afford more complexity within the designs because people will look at them anyways just from their size.

This is all I have for now; since this thread is mainly about coloring and hover/icons, I'll expand more of that- though, Aquila/Selkie/Leap are the people to go to instead of me tbh just because I kind of suck at those too. I know a bit more about graphics, and I can share tips for those if you want! I'll be back to add more later.
last edit on Dec 31, 2018 7:42:13 GMT by Mizo

352written posts
vonearned bits
offlinecurrently
von
von Avatar
wow thank you guys! I've learned alot more from these than my entire years of experimenting!! I really am going blind because I didn't know these things before y'all said it! I never considered proportions & white spaces at all :0 (also anyone can become code-fluent pls h ave hoPE)

, yes pls huhuhu ill make it my study materia; |D also i dont think you suck at icons & hovers at all. in fact, they're gloriOUS. I, and perhaps many others, would love more informations about these though, and i know i named it as icon, it's pretty much encompassing to any graphics (ads, banners, signatures). Speaking of signatures & ads, im actually a fan of a lot of mizo's, 's works and . y'all senpais
last edit on Dec 31, 2018 8:03:03 GMT by von
105written posts
BONNIBELearned bits
offlinecurrently
BONNIBEL
BONNIBEL Avatar
oh von … sweet naive von … everything i make is garbage but im very happy to even be tagged in something like this …

i don’t really have a lot of tips, i honestly think i could improve a lot from where i am, but here’s some things that might help anyone trying to get into making their own graphics / make more. also all my advice will always be for photoshop since i haven’t used anything else …

but i find it extremely helpful to change the workspace background color on photoshop to the color of the skin im making graphics on or at least the overall brightness and switching back and forth to see how it looks on darker and lighter backgrounds. certain ways you color an image and even how you crop things will look differently depending on the backdrop and sometimes you’ll notice there’s a small speck of color on the edge you didn’t notice on a darker bg but saw on a lighter one (and vice versa).

small image and can’t find a larger version? sometimes this site will help you with that. make it large, resize it smaller in photoshop and see if it looks nice. it doesn’t work every time but sometimes it helps get things just right, especially if the image (while good quality) isn’t that big.

nudges are your friend, don’t be afraid to move your image around pixel by pixel ; just a few pixels up and to the right can really change how everything looks. plus you don’t have to touch your mouse lol

if an image seems a little pixelated use smart blur and move around the setting until it looks okay. it takes some time and every image is different (and sometimes it doesn’t really work as well as you want) but when it does it makes a huge difference.

i love using selective color in all my icons, hovers and graphics in general. it helps saturate a lot of colors that are just so bright and heavy while letting others pop more. it can also completely change a certain color in the image into something else, which i like to do if the image sort of calls for it. even subtle changes like just making the skin tone have more contrast or the reds be saturated and darker can make it easier on the eyes or draw your attention to where you want it.

also photoshop 101 but save your process as actions once you find something you like ...... saves you the trouble of having a file with your coloring and it only takes one button click to get your hovers/ icons to where you want it (outside of tweaking and stuff that comes with using a new image).

im sorry if none of this actually helps anyone lmao or it just doesn't make sense. its late and im d ead

pronounsany pronouns
270written posts
forteearned bits
offlinecurrently
forte
forte Avatar
Mizo Avatar
I know a bit more about graphics, and I can share tips for those if you want! I'll be back to add more later.

Sorry if this isn't really on this thread's topic, but I would deffs pay like twenty whole chicken nuggets to get tips on how you add the subtle animations to your work. I'm obSESSED.
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
aliasthat bitch.
pronouns"that bitch" still works tbh (any OK!)
551written posts
selkieearned bits
offlinecurrently
selkie
Part of the Furniture
selkie Avatar
a verb in perfect view.
i'm actually the worst person to ask about this subject bc i have been winging icon making this whole time, i've been exposed. brb gotta make a batch of icons to figure out what the hell my process is

1. adjustments i use, in order of importance: selective color, vibrance, brightness/contrast. gradient map or levels if i'm feeling adventurous. i usually stick with a significantly lower ( -25 & lower ) contrast, unless the original image is low-contrast to begin with. i really don't know curves/levels well enough to say anything about them atm & i usually pick one of the gradient maps at random and edit it as i go, b/c i am the Worst.

2. also, i really enjoy playing around w/ the luminosity layer setting on a layer filled w/ light gray ( in the #dddddd to #aaaaaa hex code range ) at various opacity levels. i think it does similar things as messing around with curves but it's easier to understand/quickly modify imo? i made a little thing demonstrating the differences between opacities here!

3. i have the WORST understanding of color theory so i really cannot be of much assistance in this area, other than saying that reds can v. easily overtake images, so be careful with them if they're not your focus. that's it. that's all i've learned about colors in like 4 years of making icons. oops. also, i irrationally avoid #000000 and #ffffff the same way i do in coding.

4. rule of thirds is your friend! i think most versions of photoshop have built-in grid lines that u can toggle ( the shortcut for me in cc 2017 is ctrl + ' ) that i use when initially positioning hovers. they work well for icons too but i'm too lazy to use 'em most of the time. as for how to line them up i uh. also just wing that tbh. i think i usually crop icons so that the middle of the forehead is at the top of the icon & the bottom is either the shoulders, the hips, or mid-thighs depending on how close-up i want the shot to be.

honestly tho the only quote unquote advice i can give to anyone wanting to improve with iconing is that if you make enough bad icons, they will eventually not be bad, and eventually after that they will be good. it's deffo not a very exciting tip and probably sounds fake / cheap / whatever but i will swear by it -- it may take you 1,000 or 10,000 or 100,000 icons to get into the 'good' category, but anyone can get there, i promise o:<

also seconding wanting to know more about mizo's gfx process b/c everything u make is fcking magical
weeping omens advertisement

all my proboards templates require the style tags plugin!
pronounsShe/Her
44written posts
rafflesiaearned bits
offlinecurrently
rafflesia
rafflesia Avatar
idk if you're still looking for tips, but I have a shitload of psds and an action set that might help.

I personally think that sharpening an image once or twice depending on the resolution of it is a good start, then tampering around with the levels, curves, and exposure is a great place to start (though in the Layer section, not the Image section!) I know that my icons/hovers on here aren't quite up to par because I didn't put much effort into them, but I can help you by sending some psds your way if you would like them! Just send me a dm on here!
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW