write a reply

Post a Random Thought

263written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Lloydy Avatar
Anyone have some pointers on how to beat writer's block?
Sit down and write something, anything. It doesn’t have to be the post you intended to make, and it doesn’t have to be good. Let it be meandering and bad and uninteresting, but write it anyway. Often times, that’ll get you in the mindset to write, and you’ll be able to discard the monstrosity and then get to writing something real.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,569written posts
offlinecurrently
our gibberish-named friend
Part of the Furniture
our gibberish-named friend Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
Lloydy Avatar

reading a book has always been my go-to. Reading my old posts can do it too.

Then also forcing it. Write simply. Write and get straight to the point.

Or just taking a break. Changing your phase is very important. Walking, palying a game. Being offline. Writing with your hands instead of a keyboard. People watching is good too

Also, just looking at thing yoy see and feel before you irl and describing it in your head. Or even people. Looking at things that strike as both mundane and pretty that no one notices. Kind of like finding art from life.
last edit on Oct 7, 2024 4:15:26 GMT by our gibberish-named friend

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,569written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture
Sometimes i forget im the type to cry at animal documentaries. I can’t handle it when characters fall into Actual Despair that’s like realistic and not Edgy and i have to take a step back for a few days to recover

Cant believe i used to love reading sad storis 😭 im turnjng 32 and i need like some shounen backdrop to keep things away from reality

aliasavanhellica, avan, nyx
pronounsthey / she
132written posts
avanearned bits
offlinecurrently
avan
avan Avatar
she's the wicked witch of the EAST bro
Lloydy Avatar

Just from my own experience, I would make sure first that what you're experiencing is writer's block and not burnout and reflect on it a bit. I think there are some similarities and crossovers and one can definitely lead into the other but if you're having burnout, I've found that forcing it isn't going to be helpful. You may "push through" but you may find yourself slipping right back into writer's block or feeling like none of your writing is adequate or making you happy, etc.

Sometimes you may just need a good break and it can be a good opportunity to dive into other hobbies or do some relaxation (easier said than done if you're anything like me haha).

If it's something you feel is more related to just plain 'ole writer's block and maybe lacking in inspiration or muse for example, then there are a couple of things I do. For one, I go back to some of my favorite comfort movies, shows, music videos, or books. Things that really get my brain juices flowing and help me find things to be inspired to write about.

Another thing is sometimes doing a heavy dive into a topic you really like to research or maybe you want to research (animals... space... the lore for a favorite fantasy book... myths... etc) and bounce off that to help push through or inspire yourself.

If it's rp-related, I almost always can get over my writer's block by plotting with someone. Typically a close friend. Seeing someone else get hyped with me and planning out ✨ drama ✨ will get my muse going.

Journaling is also helpful for me sometimes cause it's at least me writing still and flexing those familiar muscles and often it's easier to write about yourself and your own thoughts rather than getting into the mind of a character.

Of course this is all just my own opinion and stuff and I know it doesn't work for everyone! I wish you the best of luck in getting through it though, I know how frustrating it can be—especially when you want to write.

last edit on Oct 7, 2024 14:47:53 GMT by avan
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,564written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly
CEL Avatar
EVERYONE SHUT UP PATHOLOGIC 3 BACHELOR ROUTE IS COMING

having an out of body experience i cannot believe it's finally been announced

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,569written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture
i swear writing posts online broke me bc every single tiny character i add or remove, i have the uncontrollable urge to immediately hit preview...

263written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
i swear writing posts online broke me bc every single tiny character i add or remove, i have the uncontrollable urge to immediately hit preview...
That's why I prefer proboards' WYSIWYG editor over Jcink's archaic "preview post" nonsense where the rest is in [ugly code tags] unless you're an enlightened spirit and don't use templates. In which case, there's just bold and italics tags, and if you're me, increased font size tags.
last edit on Oct 7, 2024 21:09:40 GMT by traveller
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
891written posts
bcearned bits
offlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
traveller Avatar
That's why I prefer proboards' WYSIWYG editor over Jcink's archaic "preview post" nonsense where the rest is in [ugly code tags] unless you're an enlightened spirit and don't use templates. In which case, there's just bold and italics tags, and if you're me, increased font size tags.

it's the other way around, pb is the one that is just [ ugly code tags ] b/c many pb templates have to use the ipokemon style plugin, which doesn't work (and can often break) in the pb previews being that it's... a plugin. unless you mean the post editor itself, which; again if you use templates, you often can't use proboards wysiwyg anyway. jcink turns out to be (able to be) neater for the sole fact that you aren't forced to either use all inline style or the style tag plugin, which is a little hacky and weird to read.

(please understand my pain of coding and writing in pb of having to post something for the entire world to see and only then be able to review and make changes)
last edit on Oct 7, 2024 23:36:38 GMT by bc
263written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
bc Avatar
traveller Avatar
it's the other way around, pb is the one that is just [ ugly code tags ] b/c many pb templates have to use the ipokemon style plugin, which doesn't work (and can often break) in the pb previews being that it's... a plugin. unless you mean the post editor itself, which; again if you use templates, you often can't use proboards wysiwyg anyway. jcink turns out to be (able to be) neater for the sole fact that you aren't forced to either use all inline style or the style tag plugin, which is a little hacky and weird to read.

(please understand my pain of coding and writing in pb of having to post something for the entire world to see and only then be able to review and make changes)

I can't get Jcink to look anything like this, it just looks like the image I attached below. Since I apparently have it the other way around, can you explain to me how to get Jcink post editor to look like the Proboards WYSIWYG interface?

Attachments:

last edit on Oct 8, 2024 0:16:06 GMT by traveller
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW