Sites You Want To See

pronounsShe
626written posts
Gingerearned bits
offlinecurrently
Ginger
Part of the Furniture
Ginger Avatar
I can't find any proof of this user tagging/quoting me... I swore I pmed them but now I can't find the pm I sent to them.... Sooo....

Whomever was in process of possibly revamping their mythology Jcink site, if possible may I join in and lurk? Or something? I thought asked for it but can't find proof and now not even sure on WW or on here.... sooo... pretty please? I sent a whole pm that doesn't exist ;-;

OTHERWISE..

Modern Mythology Roleplay with Original Based characters based, think Rick Riordan [Percy Jackson, Kane Family, Norse mythology/etc writer] System/focus/roleplay stuff.....
last edit on Jul 4, 2018 15:02:00 GMT by Ginger
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
a danganronpa-esq role play where your character can be killed by the staff or be declared murderer. i assume it'd work better as a private board but i seriously want a murder mystery that is not only NPCs.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
dreams Avatar
melusine Avatar
Jul 3, 2018 22:06:26 GMT @melusine said:
Some cutesy, fluffy real life small town setting with animanga, maybe with some elements from Stardew Valley.

YES. This is what I'm saying

melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 1:54:04 GMT @melusine said:
Small town meets Stardew Valley meets Pokèmon? :thinking:
This works too

what if there was an animanga small town slice of life placed in paris though
My issue with real life settings is that more often than not, they don't have a set plot, other than character driven ones, and whether it takes one week or five years, having no change of direction can often make the roleplay grow dull. Of course, it doesn't have to happen, but after having spent 4-5 years in a setting like that, it's easy to run out of things to write about without having the world around you change, even if only a little.

That said, though... Paris. Aughhh. :dreamyeyes:

I think with real life small town settings it comes down to one thing: What makes this one different from all the other?
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 15:48:55 GMT @melusine said:
dreams Avatar
 YES. This is what I'm saying

This works too

what if there was an animanga small town slice of life placed in paris though
My issue with real life settings is that more often than not, they don't have a set plot, other than character driven ones, and whether it takes one week or five years, having no change of direction can often make the roleplay grow dull. Of course, it doesn't have to happen, but after having spent 4-5 years in a setting like that, it's easy to run out of things to write about without having the world around you change, even if only a little.

I think with real life small town settings it comes down to one thing: What makes this one different from all the other?
 I realize that, too, and it's because they are usually only character-driven that many slice of life sites (sadly) go under after a couple months... Also why I think it's better to have some kind of supernatural element to the world/characters, and have somewhat of an over-arching plot/goal that can obtained. Like, I think it would be great to have a slice of life that doubles as a murder mystery, or a slice of life that has something supernatural to explore -- like having to do with the after-life, legends, mythology, or reincarnation.

But I can see that, even after adding intriguing elements to an rp(like a murder mystery or some kind of supernatural twist), it could still get old after a while, despite adding events and awards that could help keep things interesting.

Personally, i think, the small town settings are cute and far between one another, but besides the towns themselves, there really isn't anything extraordinary, unless you sprinkle some faerie dust and include something different to make it more exciting. 

I just like the relaxing and the variety that comes with slice of life sites myself. Instead of having so many of one certain character group, or a site where everyone has powers, the sol genre kind of encourages that all the characters are different in their own way, and aren't defined by having some type of power or being some part of a specific organisation. It's neat
last edit on Jul 4, 2018 20:51:27 GMT by Deleted
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
dreams Avatar
melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 15:48:55 GMT @melusine said:

I realize that, too, and it's because they are usually only character-driven that many slice of life sites (sadly) go under after a couple months... Also why I think it's better to have some kind of supernatural element to the world/characters, and have somewhat of an over-arching plot/goal that can obtained. Like, I think it would be great to have a slice of life that doubles as a murder mystery, or a slice of life that has something supernatural to explore -- like having to do with the after-life, legends, mythology, or reincarnation.

But I can see that, even after adding intriguing elements to an rp(like a murder mystery or some kind of supernatural twist), it could still get old after a while, despite adding events and awards that could help keep things interesting.

Personally, i think, the small town settings are cute and far between one another, but besides the towns themselves, there really isn't anything extraordinary, unless you sprinkle some faerie dust and include something different to make it more exciting. 

I just like the relaxing and the variety that comes with slice of life sites myself. Instead of having so many of one certain character group, or a site where everyone has powers, the sol genre kind of encourages that all the characters are different in their own way, and aren't defined by having some type of power or being some part of a specific organisation. It's neat
I don't think I can agree with you enough: Real life settings tend to be far more relaxed - and it seems to bring out a lot of different characters, in a different way than sites that aren't character plot driven. While I want to write on a site like this, I just know that if there isn't something that changes (it doesn't have to be immediate), I'm going to grow extremely bored of just playing a character dealing with mundane real life things, rather than having the possibility to explore other aspects of the world that isn't necessarily an occupation, or a type of relationship or some festival event, and so forth.

But boy do I love me some fluffy small town real life settings. It's a double-edged sword for me XD

Sadly, I feel like most real life settings with a supernatural twist end up copying Vampire Diaries, and while I watched the heck out of the show, it feels a little overused - especially since vampires aren't supposed to be HOT: They're dangerous predators (VtM anyone?). Or it ends up being some vampire vs. werewolf deal, or superpowers (I've played in this setting since 2013, so I'm sort of over it). No offense to anyone who likes these types of settings, of course, it's just my personal opinion.

I haven't come across any murder mystery sites, and I'm keen to know how something like that would work on a site-wide scale?
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 21:13:28 GMT @melusine said:
dreams Avatar

I don't think I can agree with you enough: Real life settings tend to be far more relaxed - and it seems to bring out a lot of different characters, in a different way than sites that aren't character plot driven. While I want to write on a site like this, I just know that if there isn't something that changes (it doesn't have to be immediate), I'm going to grow extremely bored of just playing a character dealing with mundane real life things, rather than having the possibility to explore other aspects of the world that isn't necessarily an occupation, or a type of relationship or some festival event, and so forth.

But boy do I love me some fluffy small town real life settings. It's a double-edged sword for me XD

Sadly, I feel like most real life settings with a supernatural twist end up copying Vampire Diaries, and while I watched the heck out of the show, it feels a little overused - especially since vampires aren't supposed to be HOT: They're dangerous predators (VtM anyone?). Or it ends up being some vampire vs. werewolf deal, or superpowers (I've played in this setting since 2013, so I'm sort of over it). No offense to anyone who likes these types of settings, of course, it's just my personal opinion.

I haven't come across any murder mystery sites, and I'm keen to know how something like that would work on a site-wide scale?
Yes! I love that about the real life settings... but I also totally agree on the fact that they can get kind of boring pretty quickly XD The fluffiness and the romance aspects are just too much, though, and I love that about slice of lifes <3 Kind of in the same boat as you, I guess??

However, I've never really seen a slice of life that actually has powers like what you're referring to. Sites that have a lot of species or a lot of abilities/factions just seem more like more of a "powers" site than sol to me. I love TVD to death, but I can never psych myself up to join the roleplays based on the show... or even roleplays based on Twilight, for that matter. Like you said, they're just too over-done, and I love the genres to pieces.... but that's not quite what I meant by "powers"--

For instance, one time I made a small town site based on the people born in the town having one special power/ability that was only unique to their character. Anyone born outside the town/from out of town were normal humans, and I even went one step further and allowed people to apply for the people who had died within the town and were trapped as ghosts. Above all of this, though, the main focus was still character-driven fluffiness and ansgt, and it was interesting to see what players would come up with, and what type of characters they would fit into the site with so much real-life freedom and really only one restriction to their character. It was a very neat idea and a slice of life site that only lasted for a short time but gathered a lot of interest. It was only due to my own issues that I had to shut it down.

It would be neat to see someone else do something similar. I've seen a lot of mythology-based sites in the past that are slice-of-life, but for some reason never really pick up. 

Admittedly, I've never seen a murder mystery site or even participated in a side-wide plot like that, but it is something I've always wanted to play in. I kind of imagine it being like a sort of russian roulette, where the staff doesn't even know who is going to get killed next and would use a randomizer to pick a name or something. then maybe have the chosen character either die or dodge their death due to how the event plays out in the murder thread... but, if they survive, then the character is cursed or something.... I've never thought about it too extensively, because it would be hard to actually have other players consent to wanting their characters killed. And, then, if you just make it a plot thing(whether they like it or not) where their character is inevitably next in line to be killed, I feel like people would get mad at that. Maybe a ghost concept could be added if characters didn't survive? Idk. But it would be cool as crap if someone did a murder mystery site.
last edit on Jul 4, 2018 21:50:39 GMT by Deleted
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
dreams Avatar
melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 21:13:28 GMT @melusine said:

Yes! I love that about the real life settings... but I also totally agree on the fact that they can get kind of boring pretty quickly XD The fluffiness and the romance aspects are just too much, though, and I love that about slice of lifes <3 Kind of in the same boat as you, I guess??

However, I've never really seen a slice of life that actually has powers like what you're referring to. Sites that have a lot of species or a lot of abilities/factions just seem more like more of a "powers" site than sol to me. I love TVD to death, but I can never psych myself up to join the roleplays based on the show... or even roleplays based on Twilight, for that matter. Like you said, they're just too over-done, and I love the genres to pieces.... but that's not quite what I meant by "powers"--

For instance, one time I made a small town site based on the people born in the town having one special power/ability that was only unique to their character. Anyone born outside the town/from out of town were normal humans, and I even went one step further and allowed people to apply for the people who had died within the town and were trapped as ghosts. Above all of this, though, the main focus was still character-driven fluffiness and ansgt, and it was interesting to see what players would come up with, and what type of characters they would fit into the site with so much real-life freedom and really only one restriction to their character. It was a very neat idea and a slice of life site that only lasted for a short time but gathered a lot of interest. It was only due to my own issues that I had to shut it down.

It would be neat to see someone else do something similar. I've seen a lot of mythology-based sites in the past that are slice-of-life, but for some reason never really pick up. 

Admittedly, I've never seen a murder mystery site or even participated in a side-wide plot like that, but it is something I've always wanted to play in. I kind of imagine it being like a sort of russian roulette, where the staff doesn't even know who is going to get killed next and would use a randomizer to pick a name or something. then maybe have the chosen character either die or dodge their death due to how the event plays out in the murder thread... but, if they survive, then the character is cursed or something.... I've never thought about it too extensively, because it would be hard to actually have other players consent to wanting their characters killed. And, then, if you just make it a plot thing(whether they like it or not) where their character is inevitably next in line to be killed, I feel like people would get mad at that. Maybe a ghost concept could be added if characters didn't survive? Idk. But it would be cool as crap if someone did a murder mystery site.
Ugh, what would I do without romantic plots? While I love all kinds of relationships, romantic ones just... Gives you these intense feels, I guess? They don't even have to be cute romantic ships. Heck, I love me some non-abusive hate ships. GIVE ME ALL THE ROMANCE, PEOPLE.

Your power idea sounds very interesting, but also sounds like something that'd possibly require a lot of maintenance? Though, that might just be misunderstanding (or reading too much into it). 

As for the Russian Roulette/Murder Mystery site - could always add a rule about how characters are always at a risk of dying, and if people don't want their characters to die, they shouldn't join? As staff, you make the rules and if people don't like them, they should just move on with their lives and find somewhere that fits their needs better :shrug:. That sort of leaves out the option for them getting mad, since y'know, it's the concept of the site XD
aliasvee, vivi
pronounsany / they
659written posts
valkaearned bits
offlinecurrently
valka
Administrator
valka Avatar
do u know... la-hee?

i see vampire diaries and im just here to waggle my eyebrows like the tvd trash i am

i'd love to see an agents of shield based site. it's basically a smaller scale marvel cinematic universe, to me, and much more close knit. hell, i'd even like to see an asgard roleplay, where you roleplay as an asgardian, probably after the time of thor and the others. it would be cool to rp these beings that are 'basically gods' and create your own legends for them.

last edit on Jul 4, 2018 22:19:27 GMT by valka
if you think i haven't been keeping up with pp, think again
pronounsany
297written posts
flareearned bits
offlinecurrently
flare
flare Avatar
rp is supposed to be fun, remember
melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 22:11:08 GMT @melusine said:

As for the Russian Roulette/Murder Mystery site - could always add a rule about how characters are always at a risk of dying, and if people don't want their characters to die, they shouldn't join? As staff, you make the rules and if people don't like them, they should just move on with their lives and find somewhere that fits their needs better :shrug:. That sort of leaves out the option for them getting mad, since y'know, it's the concept of the site XD

I don't think "lol let them not join then xd" works here, given how small the community is when it comes to animanga faces.If you take a look at the flaking discussion you can see that socialising is a huge factor in why people join or leave, so that is also probably why people try to cater to a wider audience / make more sandbox / use NPCs. I've also seen far too many people that assume even though a board is death enabled, they think it will not be put into practice and if it is, it causes a lot of drama and staff gets called out for favouritism or something. That's sort of why I think it would work best in a smaller communities that are all on the same page.

There was a similar discussion on WW about horror sites as well, albeit not as in depth.
40written posts
Zyzyearned bits
offlinecurrently
Zyzy
Zyzy Avatar
An RWBY Rp

Like...a *good* one. One with longevity, purpose and one that is actually 'fun'. No canons, preferably an AU. I have some ideas but that is really all i'd want.

If not that then a Boruto rp where everyone starts out at academy level and works up together so members are not super spread between villages and different ranks.

And lastly a Teen Titans or Young Justice type of site.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
flare Avatar
melusine Avatar
Jul 4, 2018 22:11:08 GMT @melusine said:
I don't think "lol let them not join then xd" works here, given how small the community is when it comes to animanga faces.If you take a look at the flaking discussion you can see that socialising is a huge factor in why people join or leave, so that is also probably why people try to cater to a wider audience / make more sandbox / use NPCs. I've also seen far too many people that assume even though a board is death enabled, they think it will not be put into practice and if it is, it causes a lot of drama and staff gets called out for favouritism or something. That's sort of why I think it would work best in a smaller communities that are all on the same page.

There was a similar discussion on WW about horror sites as well, albeit not as in depth.
But then you're also possibly putting yourself in a situation where people are going to get mad because their character is getting killed off - assuming the rules state that anyone can die. You could always go for something simpler and only kill off characters people willingly put into a deadpool, but then, from experience, most people aren't going to have their characters offed. Which, at least to me, seems to ruin the point of having a murder mystery site, since killing off NPC's won't have a huge impact on the site as a whole. Idk. 

I guess it comes down to what matters most - do you want to see a specific idea come to life (and possibly have fewer members), or would you rather please the bigger crowd? But yeah, you're right. With smaller communities, certain "niche" ideas can become hard to bring to life, especially if you're not willing to be flexible about certain aspects. I'm personally guilty of making sites that cater to the bigger crowd, rather than going with specific ideas that might only interest a few, because I'm always so afraid it won't attract enough people for the site to survive.
Dark Empress
aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
ravyn ⭑ Avatar
tbh all i want is a good ole mythology based rp. i have no idea how it would work, but i need to let my inner mythology nerd out and put my degree to work

Actually, I along with other staffs (aquila, aaron, skype and well others) are working on camp blood-esque myth rp.
aliasrav, birb
pronounshe / they
418written posts
ravyn ⭑earned bits
offlinecurrently
ravyn ⭑
ravyn ⭑ Avatar
Empress Yuki Avatar
ravyn ⭑ Avatar
tbh all i want is a good ole mythology based rp. i have no idea how it would work, but i need to let my inner mythology nerd out and put my degree to work
Actually, I along with other staffs (aquila, aaron, skype and well others) are working on camp blood-esque myth rp.

oh! well, not the mythology i was looking for, but that sounds interesting. i was thinking more... mythology itself lmao.