733written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
idindin Avatar
no inspo, but also refusing to look at other designs to jog my brain just in case i forget about them and then proceed to have an eureka moment... but in truth i'm actually 'recalling' them and thinking those ideas are mine skdfhskdhf 

yes yes nothing new under the sun + no ideas are everrrr 100% original but like-- i'd rather not veer so close to people's designs, ya? ;v; intentionally or not, had it happen to me and that gut-drop feeling is so awful. don't wanna do it to other people orz 

maybe i'm taught wrong about the whole recall-ideas-as-yours thing but it's hard to drop smtg like a life advice at this point o<<
honestly, i think we get too caught up in accidentally, possibly ripping off someone else's ideas that we forget that we're all essentially copying each other. i know you mentioned that in your initial post, but we really need to stop focusing on what other people might think; bc it's impeding what's important- our own creativity. like honestly, if your design is a little similar to someone else's.......i'm not really sure it entirely matters. i've talked to friends about this, bc i've also worried about this and she made a good point: there are just some things that all forum things need and yeah, it's probably gonna look similar. who cares. people need to get their panties out of a twist and just enjoy the hobby. like we all fall prey to design trends, and that's ok! so sometimes skins or what have you might look a little similar to each other, doesn't mean anyone stole or ripped from another, and i think we spend too much time looking for reasons to get mad that we forget that we should be instead lifting and helping each other out instead of tearing each other down.

like leap is basically the progenitor of easily half of the current design trends, but you don't see them (at least publicly, i don't know them like that) getting mad that people copying their style of using big clean fonts, bold color, lots of pngs and typography. i've seen creators in their position in previous years who have made a stink about people being inspired by them, and it kinda just makes them look like a dick imo. being inspired by each other as artists is nothing to be ashamed of, and should be encouraged, as that's how we all develop and grow as designers. 

i'll get off the soap box now, i'm just oddly passionate about this lmao 

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,343written posts
offlinecurrently
among us with feet
Part of the Furniture
among us with feet Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
idindin Avatar
no inspo, but also refusing to look at other designs to jog my brain just in case i forget about them and then proceed to have an eureka moment... but in truth i'm actually 'recalling' them and thinking those ideas are mine skdfhskdhf 

yes yes nothing new under the sun + no ideas are everrrr 100% original but like-- i'd rather not veer so close to people's designs, ya? ;v; intentionally or not, had it happen to me and that gut-drop feeling is so awful. don't wanna do it to other people orz 

maybe i'm taught wrong about the whole recall-ideas-as-yours thing but it's hard to drop smtg like a life advice at this point o<<

I had a similar convo with a friend recently. I suggested a video game dialogue-like design for a forum rows but instead of just taking a free pattern online, they were trying to come up with something on their own. At this point, it was just a draft to see how it looks, so I asked why they were insistent. And they said that they didn’t want to copy otherwise it wouldn’t be their “own.” I told them it doesn’t have to be the final design. It’s just like trying out clothes and seeing which part of it looks good, which doesn’t work, and what ideas it can bring.

I’m not active in skin making as you guys but I am pretty sure the reason the “copying” skin is being made a big deal is bc the community is small. You can’t improve in writing without reading. You can’t expand your drawing skillset without studying art. You can’t design clothes without admiring the work of others. People have to grow, and the best way for that is for us to teach each other and learn from each other.

The copying issue will remain an issue no matter the field. But there’s really not much you can do about it other than be genuine in your intentions and make sure the final product is as different as it can bw.

I personally look at designs religiously. I have been doing so since i asked a friend if i could learn how to code by copying their codes. I do this for forums too. I study what makes it good, what i like about it, and tilt my head repeatedly as i form ideas about what i’ve observed. But i don’t earn money from skinning, and i’ve always had a different style from the more popular trends… to this day, konya/bonbon and novas are still my inspo when it comes to template and skin design. I’ve done designs that are similar to them, but i ended up scrapping them after a whole because i was able to make a better design to fit my theme. But because i checked out how they did something, it pointed me to a direction suited for my style.

i think it’s unavoidable to be wrapped in drama in such a small community where everyone knows each other. We need to strength our personal bubbles lol
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,343written posts
offlinecurrently
among us with feet
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
is disliking unjustified text my boomer opinion? probably

nah justified text is v millennial
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,343written posts
offlinecurrently
among us with feet
Part of the Furniture
New coding confession

Tumblr themes are my fav inspo. Minimalist ones specifically. I like how personal they feel and how they make use of space with text…
aliasFrosty
pronouns*shrugs*
164written posts
«Fr¤§t¥»earned bits
offlinecurrently
«Fr¤§t¥»
«Fr¤§t¥» Avatar
On my Devil May Cry shtick again
There is some sort of coding demon that people are secretly selling their souls to in order to understand how to skin a jcink forum and they're not hookin' a brother up and it makes me sad. 
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
733written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
i literally will do anything else but code board mods. they are the bane of my existence. and making them responsive? literally screaming crying throwing up

aliasFrosty
pronouns*shrugs*
164written posts
«Fr¤§t¥»earned bits
offlinecurrently
«Fr¤§t¥»
«Fr¤§t¥» Avatar
Why. -headdesk- are. -headdesk- there. -headdesk- so. -headdesk- many. -headdesk- things. -headdesk- that. -headdesk- have. -headdesk- to. -headdesk- be. -headdesk- coded. -headdesk- for. -headdesk- a. -headdesk- jcink. -headdesk- site?!?!?!?!?
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,343written posts
offlinecurrently
among us with feet
Part of the Furniture
«Fr¤§t¥» Avatar
Why. -headdesk- are. -headdesk- there. -headdesk- so. -headdesk- many. -headdesk- things. -headdesk- that. -headdesk- have. -headdesk- to. -headdesk- be. -headdesk- coded. -headdesk- for. -headdesk- a. -headdesk- jcink. -headdesk- site?!?!?!?!?

do it in bits and pieces.. take a break
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
733written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
«Fr¤§t¥» Avatar
A wholeass mood buddy. I agree with Tanz. Give yourself some breathing room. You’re on a roll, and it’s addicting- I get it. But give yourself a break bc you will burn yourself out if you’re not careful. No one skins in a week.

local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
733written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
not to double post but do you ever read someone else's coding, and it's so vastly different from how you do it that you're just "huh" bc your instinct is to do the exact opposite of what they did to achieve the same goal

and you never woulda thought to do it that way probably

aliasFrosty
pronouns*shrugs*
164written posts
«Fr¤§t¥»earned bits
offlinecurrently
«Fr¤§t¥»
«Fr¤§t¥» Avatar
do it in bits and pieces.. take a break

sister ghoul Avatar
A wholeass mood buddy. I agree with Tanz. Give yourself some breathing room. You’re on a roll, and it’s addicting- I get it. But give yourself a break bc you will burn yourself out if you’re not careful. No one skins in a week.

Yeah, I've mostly been doing the coding thing during the weekends mostly. And then occasionally building out things after work just so I don't lose touch with coding in general. But seriously it feels like it never ends though. Between the templates, and the other things too. It's so in depth though @_@

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW