aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
I ran into this from reddit a few days back and thought it might be interesting to bring over here. OP was asking if rping is good for their mental health, or if it’s healthy as a way of coping/expressing.

I think rping can exacerbate anything, which is true for any hobby. It can make you an aspect of yourself or your life better or worse. Sometimes, it might be the only thing keeping you afloat. But just from speaking from exp, i cannot imagine it can motivate you to get out of it. Like say, an anime can inspire you to better yourself if you’re lucky. But rping? I think it’s a uh. Forgot the word but imo a terrible coping mechanism that will eventually be making the problem worse. I do believe it’s different if it’s talking to people like tabletop rpg. Text-based rping though, it’s a bit too much that makes you think it’s only real in your head. And that’s why it’s a bad pair with mental health. It’s too inner? If that makes sense.

So how does everyone feel abt it? Maybe some exp to share too if anyone is comfy with that

I guess i do have one- i did massively improve just quitting rping for a few years. But i think it’s true for any hobby or endeavor. Take a break. Change your pace. It’s not rping itself that’s an issue. But it is exhausting fr
aliasBunny
pronounsThey/Them/Their
151written posts
★BUNNY★earned bits
offlinecurrently
★BUNNY★
★BUNNY★ Avatar
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
I ran into this from reddit a few days back and thought it might be interesting to bring over here. OP was asking if rping is good for their mental health, or if it’s healthy as a way of coping/expressing.

I think rping can exacerbate anything, which is true for any hobby. It can make you an aspect of yourself or your life better or worse. Sometimes, it might be the only thing keeping you afloat. But just from speaking from exp, i cannot imagine it can motivate you to get out of it. Like say, an anime can inspire you to better yourself if you’re lucky. But rping? I think it’s a uh. Forgot the word but imo a terrible coping mechanism that will eventually be making the problem worse. I do believe it’s different if it’s talking to people like tabletop rpg. Text-based rping though, it’s a bit too much that makes you think it’s only real in your head. And that’s why it’s a bad pair with mental health. It’s too inner? If that makes sense.

So how does everyone feel abt it? Maybe some exp to share too if anyone is comfy with that

I guess i do have one- i did massively improve just quitting rping for a few years. But i think it’s true for any hobby or endeavor. Take a break. Change your pace. It’s not rping itself that’s an issue. But it is exhausting fr

As a RPer as well as a Licensed Professional in the Mental Health field, I disagree with the notion it is a bad pair with Mental Health.

My Practice is structured around anything anime/video game based because there are people that find it alleviating to experience such activities. Role-Playing is one of them. There is a Doctor called Anthony Beam in Texas who has written books on Mental Health and Geek/Gaming Culture. Althoughn these aspects can be negative (even anime), these aspects can be quite positive. I believe it is because the myriad of characters I play and interact with have given me the ability to take perspective of others and even create a reality seen through the eyes of my character. This in itself is a healthy enough tool where I may ask people I treat, "Let's take someone else's role in this Role-Play." That in itself is a real benefit, because you have to understand what is being said when Role-Playing:

I am taking a "role" or "character" I can identify with. Why though?

Is it aspects of that character you see in yourself? How would that character grow? How can you take away from that character's growth and their interactions and apply it to yourself? Not to mention, if other people and their characters are curious or find that character interesting; ask them why and take their perspective and take on things (whether agreed upon or not). Role-Playing, including Text-Based, does well in this. 

A matter of fact, there is a Therapy Technique that utilizes Roleplaying called "Psychodrama" which takes on setting a scene, relieving it through your role or another person's role, and have a Catharsis based on what you learn. I am still trying to get training in that one and D&D-Based Group Therapy Techniques (Yes! There is Counseling/Psychological approved course in using D&D as a therapy tool).

On the other hand, you do have key points. There are people who use Role-Playing to escape from their problems or even not acknowledge them in exchange for the new reality. I learned about this (not only personally) but thorugh a TokyoPop fiction book called "Chain Mail: Addicted To You."  Only one person was healthy in that story in how they approached the Role-Play. They had utmost joy in writing the story, even if it was imaginative. Although the other "3" writers had ultierior motives that thus caused real-life danger.

This is not to say Roleplay is dichotomic in nature (Good or Bad) but to open the perspective to look at it as any other tool or hobby. People can obsess about exercising through Body Dysmorphia, others can abandon social relationships in exchange for hobby-based relationships that are interpersonal (like sports groups or fandoms), and there are some people that are addicted to collecting as a hobby and mess up their finances.

It all depends on frequency, benefit, and how they apply the experience.
pronounshe/him
730written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Role play is neither inherently good or inherently bad as a coping mechanism, speaking from personal experience.

The factors include how much you focus on your real life, how bad things happening in the RP affects your personal mental health, and how you interact with others within the RP space. I would say the biggest concern with using RP as a coping mechanism is the interactions with others. Are you in a safe enough space to be using RP this way? Are you creating a toxic environment because you use RP as a coping mechanism for your real life? Are you using RP as an avoidant thing and neglecting your real life tasks and health for RP?

More importantly, do other players consent to being a part of a huge part of your mental health?

I have met too many people in this hobby who use IC circumstances as crutches for their real life issues, and often indulge in RP in ways that leave me feeling used. I have been indirectly told by old partners that my character's actions and even jokes I make about my characters are responsible for their mental health. I've been told that by pursuing different hobbies for a few weeks, I'm selfish and not thinking about them.

Even recently, I had a RP fall apart because of someone using RP to cope with their mental health. It's a recipe for disaster, I think, if you're engaging in unhealthy and unsafe ways, without the consent of players involved to keep things within boundaries.

I have also used RP as an avoidant coping mechanism for ignoring my own real life issues and traumas, and it really fucked up people around me. I've gone through therapy irl and have gotten much, much, much better about it. But I was the problem for a while, so I speak from both sides of the story.

I do think role play can be healthy and facilitate good emotional responses, but probably not online role play with random strangers. You should keep that for people you genuinely trust and who are in a mental spot to help you, too.
last edit on Nov 5, 2023 1:38:13 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
704written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
gonna have to second the responses of both bunny and jungler. i think rp, like any hobby / interest / passion / w/e else, and how fundamentally healthy/unhealthy it is dependent on the person themselves and how they engage with the medium.

adding on to what was said, and probably a bit more controversial as a take, idk — i’ve had a Talk(TM) with an rp friend a few weeks ago about rp and rp drama, and eventually drew the conclusion that, to quote what i told them “i think rpc just generally has a mixed bag of ppl since its a collaborative social narrative and that leads to some ppl learning to improve their emotional regulation + self-esteem + general confidence and others,,,, not so much that it rlly just goes one way or another for ppl”. it’s the internet. it’s bound to have a collection of people from different walks of life who will use the medium, take to the medium, or respond to the medium (and, conversely, the communities within the medium) differently—some in healthy ways, others in not so healthy ways.

more eloquently, i think all the major skills that require rp to be, like, functional as a collaborative social narrative rely on a) communication, b) self-confidence/self-assurance, c) boundary setting, d) not taking things too personally, e) taking accountability, f) the ability to follow through, j) adaptability, and k) healthy confrontation — and sometimes, people will learn these skills and apply it to their experiences, while sometimes, people can also Break(TM) under this. its rlly dependent on the person, and how people choose to respond / react / act as a result will vastly impact their experiences + whether or not rp will be a healthy medium for them.

coming soon.
aliasox
pronounsshe/her
16written posts
oxoearned bits
offlinecurrently
oxo
oxo Avatar
I'd like to share a little bit of how I view roleplay:

Roleplay has been a massive positive experience on not just my mental health, but also my life. My very first RP site I was on was a Warriors site that had its own host (I don't remember if it was actually self-host or it did use one, but it wasn't on PB, Jcink, etc). I LOVED the series and I've always wanted to sort of create my own "story" off of it, so the idea of creating my own character, being able to write with other people's characters, and managing to have SOME form of impact on the plot was straight up dope as a tiny wittle baby. I'm a very imaginative person, so having a space (a la preferred rp genre) where I can actually make stories and memorable plots with other people who have the same sentiment was very mind blowing.

I've never really used roleplay as a form of escapism or view it as such whenever life is being a little shite head, only because I do think my mood can heavily impact how I write and how I interact with other fellow writers, so I just take a step back, breathe in, breathe out, and come back whenever I'm more levelheaded. Other hobbies like video games are how I cope whenever something terrible happens because I'm all on my own, I have no one to snap at by accident, etc (singleplayer games are a blessing fr). I know how I act whenever my mental health goes to shite and me being able to recognize that roleplay isn't the best outlet to escape from reality in my case prevented SO much conflicted that would've ignited on my end if were to do so otherwise.

I think the ONLY time where roleplay has had an actual negative effect on my mental health are negative people within the community I'm in, mainly the ones that just needlessly start drama on an issue that could either be dealt with privately or something that can be handled swiftly by all parties involved. Writing itself with other people has never been an issue, but rather who's in the space and their overall demeanor. Here's a little snippet:

So this was way back when I was still a freshman in high school, so like 14-15. I was on a Naruto site and I noticed that the position, Hokage, was available as said on the village's roster. I want you to keep in mind, they had a "first come, first serve" type of system, if you will. Whoever finishes their app first for a position gets it, provided there are little to no errors for fixing.

I thought, "oh cool, I can just transfer one of my kage's here!" because I was way too lazy to whip up a fresh new one. I asked staff if I could do it, and they said sure. So boom, I was Hokage.

Now, this guy, I'll name him Doe, was not pleased. Doe already had a WIP up for Hokage, but it was never mentioned in the title that he was applying for Hokage nor was there any sort of reservation made (even though it's first come, first serve), NOR DID STAFF EVEN TELL ME THAT SOMEONE WAS WORKING ON A HOKAGE.

Doe was OUTRAGED. He complained that he's been working and has been chanting "DEATH TO (my Hokage's name)" and "DEATH TO KONOHA." He's been making op jutsu and shit to try and wreck the village and the staff were just egging it on along with the majority of the members that were present. Only like one staff member and two regular members were like "ayo chill it ain't that deep."

I had no choice but to revoke (idk if that's the right word) my position as Hokage because it was all overwhelming. That little bit- I mean Doe was very smug about it as he became Hokage, acting as if I was still going to serve under him. It wasn't until one out of the two regular members gave up one of the kage positions they were working for on their apps for me, which was extremely nice of them.

Alas, I was a very petty bitch at the time who wasn't in the right headspace at the time. How petty, you may ask? To sum it all up, I cussed up a storm, I said stuff that should NEVER be said, and it went to a point where I convinced my friends to start trolling and spreading rumors about the site that ultimately led to its closing just months later.

Am I proud of what I did? At the time, 14-15 year old me would say absolutely; they deserved it. 90% of them were assholes that deserved to be treated like dirt. I D G A F.

Am I proud of it now? Looking back at it, the most I could've done is just simply walk away instead of going the extra mile of ruining a site that people who were actually considerate and generous on. Or, realistically speaking for 14-15 year old me, call them bitches and dip LMAO.

So, echoing the sentiment that others have said, roleplay isn't this or that, but it's really on how it's used and why it's being used that way. BUT, in my opinion, I don't think it's the best hobby for I guess you can say coping or a form of escapism. Being able to use roleplay as a way to relieve stress and distract yourself is 100% valid, but it's a problem when you become too reliant on it as such.
aliasJinny
26written posts
jinsyteaearned bits
offlinecurrently
jinsytea
jinsytea Avatar
There is no genie in a lamp here.
Roleplay itself has been cathartic for me.

The people in it? Not so much. I have left the public scene for the most part. I lurk on resource sites sometimes but mostly just read. But I’ve been burned and hurt so many times by other roleplayers that at this point, saving the actual roleplay for my best friend only has been so much better for my mental state of being.

I don’t have to worry about posting something that could offend her as we’ve been friends for more than a decade now. We’re free to write whatever we please without judgement from other people (as we enjoy dark themes and plots involving things that would not be allowed in most circles, even 3-3-3 rated sites). I don’t have to worry that she’s talking crap behind my back because she’s not that kind of person. She doesn’t take off to resource sites and talk about me or say things she wouldn’t say to my face.

For a long time, I bent over backwards for other Rpers to my own detriment. And then when I started putting up boundaries, I was a witch and an ahole.

I love rp itself. But the way some people have treated me has made me especially wary now of joining any new communities. And I’ve definitely become completely disinterested in making new friends.

I miss the old days though. I miss making friends but I’m too old and tired to give of myself anymore.
139written posts
Stallasearned bits
offlinecurrently
Stallas
Stallas Avatar
ACT IV: HOOLIGAN TALES
I think roleplaying is one of the better hobbies one can have.

It is productive in developing skills (writing, communication, creativity), low- or no- cost, encourages having a range of experiences or consumption of other media for ideas, develops social interaction, and by definition induces self-reflection and empathy for others.

It has many things in it that can naturally help mental health. It also has aspects that are detrimental for mental health, but I think these are more related to either general vices OR internet-related exacerbations instead of those pertaining to an artistic sphere.

E.g. investing too much time/becoming too absorbed in it, not 'touching grass', entering echo chambers, getting into drama, etc.