789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Yevod Avatar
illidan main Avatar
tbh the more i exist around sites, the more i think activity requirements for making new characters feels fair.

To control for app-n-dashers?
Also just to moderate the speed at which people can put in new apps. I think it's also a system that regulates itself without needing hard limits; if you're reasonably good at juggling that many characters, you won't have many issues at all. What can be handled is different for everyone, and the easiest way to see is to just keep track of how often you're posting. Some people can keep 20 characters active. Some people can only keep 2 or 3 active.
last edit on Jul 19, 2024 23:44:05 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
traveller Avatar
Is people making characters a problem to be solved, though?
i mean, if you're submitting a lot of apps in a short time period, yes. staff has limited time to do stuff, makes sense you'd want the people to idk go out and write a bit before making a new character that needs to be reviewed.

also good for people that sit on plot roles.

i also personally like it b/c it helps me pace myself and not make 30000 characters i'm not going to use.
last edit on Jul 20, 2024 18:56:02 GMT by illidan main

aliasirene
pronounsshe/hers
99written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
you want it darker, we kill the flame
It's more along the lines of "maintaining" characters rather than "making" characters.

My experience incorporates two communities. In the rl rpc I've seen rules state that the first two character are free, but going onwards a member must have at least one thread active on all accounts in order to make a new character; I've never seen them use a site store before. Whereas in the animanga rpc (or the sites that I've been on) character creation is a site store purchase (again, hinges on activity bc a member must post to gain enough coins to create characters.) Which I also find fair. It teaches writers how to efficiently maintain their time & the limitations of said time.
praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
887written posts
bcearned bits
onlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
agreed w/ above. i also think it helps regulate the instant dopamine rush problem - as in, sometimes making new characters provides an instant rush of dopamine that actually rping only provides in much smaller, doses amounts; so people start to app more in pursuit of the (comparative to actually posting) immediate big gratification. [may not be a universal experience, obv :P and certainly doesn’t stop people from dropping characters and apping new ones, buuut it’s better than a large roster that you rarely rp w/ because you’ve already moved on to the new shiny character, which i don’t think is healthy]

ofc this is all under the assumption that most serial-character makers don’t rp in equal amounts; so if you’re keeping up with your roster and making new characters frequently, all the power to you!

as a side note; i’ve seen both in the animanga! i don’t think the animanga community is very standardised in this case lol. some sites go off of site points, some sites require x amount of posts on previous accounts, or recent activity on past accounts if that’s an easy thing to moderate
last edit on Jul 20, 2024 20:52:34 GMT by bc
235written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Maybe it's a mindset difference, but some of the arguments come across weird.

I totally get wanting to limit character applications if your argument is limited staff time, and you don't want to spend that time on approving characters for people.

But I'm kinda scratching my head at arguments like, to help you keep pace, or teach you how to manage your time, or because you think the dopamine from making a new character is unhealthy. That sounds patronising.

Keeping pace and managing time are personal skills to develop, not to have dictated to you by animanga roleplay site staff members. I certainly don't do roleplaying so I can have someone tell me I can't have another character because you think I need to learn how to efficiently spend my time.

Not everything has to be a race of perfect efficiency, and wasting your own time on your own terms shouldn't be a problem at all. If you, as staff, think approving someone's characters is a waste of your time, you probably shouldn't be staff. (Alternatively, learn how to efficiently use your time to approve characters.)

Likewise for the idea that it's unhealthy to move on from one character to the next. It's great if you're able to maintain focus on one thing and that keeps you happy, but other people suffer shorter attention spans and need to be constantly challenged with something new to maintain that spark. It's fine if you think that's unhealthy, but let's not put ourselves in the seat of mental health professionals and make health decisions for people.

I don't even write many characters, often sticking to one main character and at best two extra characters. That has mostly to do with that the first character will be written to fit many threads, and if I find there's stories I can't tell with that main character, I'll add another one that has a specific other direction to go in. Because those are necessarily more limited in scope, the number of threads I'll write with them will also be considerably less.

The way I see it, if you're concerned with the time it takes to approve a character, maybe try to streamline the approval process to make it easier on staff members and limit the time spent on that. For example, you could ask people to answer two questions in the biography section: "Who was this character before they arrived at location X?" and "What motivated character to move to location X?"

Then you could either ask people to keep the biography strictly to those answers, or as staff just skim the biography to find the answers to those questions and consider mainly those.

"But Traveller, I'm worried they'll write things that break the setting!" Then you either need to define your setting better so people know where the limits are, or you need to let go a bit and accept that, once you throw other writers into the mix, some stuff may need to bend a little.

It's not like staff are infallible: I've seen staff members introduce characters that conflict with site lore or that don't make sense internally. Like the time I saw an admin introduce a character that was homeschooled in their home country, not knowing that homeschooling in said country is a crime.

Addendum: If you want to limit characters, then please let it be for logistical reasons like limited staff time, or because there are limited slots for specific roles, or because lore-wise there shouldn't be that many people. Don't use character limitations because you fancy yourself a head master here to teach people lessons through limitation.
last edit on Jul 20, 2024 21:59:41 GMT by traveller
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
pronounsshe/her
249written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
To me, the main reasons for limiting app creation are basically:

• Preventing FC/canon hoarding.
  • Prioritizing a cast of active characters vs a bloat of inactive characters.

These issues can also be solved with regular activity checks, but can take more admin labor the more characters need to be pruned each check.

I will say I think the limit is good in communities that move at a quicker pace, because it is harder to manage a larger cast in a high-paced setting. It's also smart to do this for communities that plan to limit character participation in events (ie, 'two characters per writer may participate in this raid').

It really depends on your community and the member base you're trying to retain.

That being said, I am so far from being a serial character creator that I find the impulse to have 20 characters difficult to understand. I can barely handle two to my satisfaction. Which is to say I can only handle one.
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,821written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
traveller Avatar
Maybe it's a mindset difference, but some of the arguments come across weird.

I totally get wanting to limit character applications if your argument is limited staff time, and you don't want to spend that time on approving characters for people.

But I'm kinda scratching my head at arguments like, to help you keep pace, or teach you how to manage your time, or because you think the dopamine from making a new character is unhealthy. That sounds patronising.

Keeping pace and managing time are personal skills to develop, not to have dictated to you by animanga roleplay site staff members. I certainly don't do roleplaying so I can have someone tell me I can't have another character because you think I need to learn how to efficiently spend my time.

Not everything has to be a race of perfect efficiency, and wasting your own time on your own terms shouldn't be a problem at all. If you, as staff, think approving someone's characters is a waste of your time, you probably shouldn't be staff. (Alternatively, learn how to efficiently use your time to approve characters.)

Likewise for the idea that it's unhealthy to move on from one character to the next. It's great if you're able to maintain focus on one thing and that keeps you happy, but other people suffer shorter attention spans and need to be constantly challenged with something new to maintain that spark. It's fine if you think that's unhealthy, but let's not put ourselves in the seat of mental health professionals and make health decisions for people.

I don't even write many characters, often sticking to one main character and at best two extra characters. That has mostly to do with that the first character will be written to fit many threads, and if I find there's stories I can't tell with that main character, I'll add another one that has a specific other direction to go in. Because those are necessarily more limited in scope, the number of threads I'll write with them will also be considerably less.

The way I see it, if you're concerned with the time it takes to approve a character, maybe try to streamline the approval process to make it easier on staff members and limit the time spent on that. For example, you could ask people to answer two questions in the biography section: "Who was this character before they arrived at location X?" and "What motivated character to move to location X?"

Then you could either ask people to keep the biography strictly to those answers, or as staff just skim the biography to find the answers to those questions and consider mainly those.

"But Traveller, I'm worried they'll write things that break the setting!" Then you either need to define your setting better so people know where the limits are, or you need to let go a bit and accept that, once you throw other writers into the mix, some stuff may need to bend a little.

It's not like staff are infallible: I've seen staff members introduce characters that conflict with site lore or that don't make sense internally. Like the time I saw an admin introduce a character that was homeschooled in their home country, not knowing that homeschooling in said country is a crime.

Addendum: If you want to limit characters, then please let it be for logistical reasons like limited staff time, or because there are limited slots for specific roles, or because lore-wise there shouldn't be that many people. Don't use character limitations because you fancy yourself a head master here to teach people lessons through limitation.

I really have to agree with this- like all points. As someone who doesn't like to be told to do something without logical consistency, the idea that I can't manage myself as an adult who pays taxes, hilarious. I don't mean to rag on anyone here certainly but I refuse to join sites that tell me what I can and can't write with reason to the site's plot itself or that having too many characters is something I need the admins to worry about. I've helped many a admin do app reviews and at most I spent like...a day. However, some people have dyslexia and the like that made it longer. Never did I hear of them complaining about there were too many characters - most people were really responsive, read the profiles, moved on.

The idea of micromanaging to this degree is intolerable to me without a logical reason like above. I do not need to be nannied by the admins. As someone who's had 3 to like 100 characters maxed, I don't see a honest reason besides "time to manage a site" or "I don't like it". The more honest an admin is about something, the more understanding I am about it. This isn't to say that curating your experience shouldn't be on your inclinations or reasoning - but I rarely see that as the case.

The only logical reasoning that I can see restricting character amounts or creating is - I don't like the thing.

Which then leads me to really push people to just say it! "Hey x, I've seen you have been making a lot of characters without posting, I've/we've been concerned about it, and while your profile is fine, do you mind posting on other accounts first?" - while, hard to do, easily lets you and others curate your site. This is YOUR site, curate it however you like! If you don't want weirdmcgee making a character of x type, either it triggers you, you don't like it, etc, deny it. Put in the rules that x is not allowed here. This isn't a diss on those who say x character isn't allowed here or, limited time to do staff and play, etc but acting like it's your sacred duty to nanny others cause you're better at knowing what they need is wild to me anyways.

"What about face claim hoarding" - if you're worried about that, face claim sharing at the start or after x time without the character being active solves that problem immediately.
"Well the dopamine rush." Some people like oranges, some people like skydiving, what they do isn't really harming you if you can keep up with it. If they like something that you don't want to allow, why no handle it on a case by case basis.
"Well I want people to put in what they're taking out of my time to review their 56th cat boy" sounds more appropriate.
last edit on Jul 21, 2024 0:14:12 GMT by Neko
aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
569written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
scarlet Avatar
To me, the main reasons for limiting app creation are basically:

• Preventing FC/canon hoarding.
  • Prioritizing a cast of active characters vs a bloat of inactive characters.

These issues can also be solved with regular activity checks, but can take more admin labor the more characters need to be pruned each check.

I will say I think the limit is good in communities that move at a quicker pace, because it is harder to manage a larger cast in a high-paced setting. It's also smart to do this for communities that plan to limit character participation in events (ie, 'two characters per writer may participate in this raid').

It really depends on your community and the member base you're trying to retain.

That being said, I am so far from being a serial character creator that I find the impulse to have 20 characters difficult to understand. I can barely handle two to my satisfaction. Which is to say I can only handle one.

i agree although: the prevention of face claim 'hoarding' tends to be a lot more nuanced than the management of character creation.

it often comes down to whatever is popular in the current mainstream. that is to say - there's a difference between one member hoarding 100 mihoyo face claims, versus one member using 100 touhou claims (and both not posting!). nobody will care about the latter, but most people would kill for black swan or robin or zhongli.

now as a writer i can't imagine managing 100 characters, let alone a number more than two - but i empathize with the admin who wants to prevent fights between members, let alone reinforce the rules that they established from the very onset.

that said i believe was talking about member time management, not the admin managing their members' time lol

last edit on Jul 21, 2024 1:00:47 GMT by PHIMBO
pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Neko Avatar
"Well I want people to put in what they're taking out of my time to review their 56th cat boy" sounds more appropriate.
at the end of the day this is mostly the only reason.

like no offense, staff members are not here for your convenience and I don't really care to spend a bunch of time out of my day doing something for someone who has no respect for my time. i pay for the site, not the other way around, and i don't think it's nannying to put in my rules that you should post with your already accepted characters before asking me to review more.

my next site will also have "canon slots" and while it's technically OCs, it's personified public domain characters and I'm only allowing one interpretation per character. It does not feel fair to allow one person to take 20 different canon roles if they don't even post all that often. It's nothing personal, but it's more out of courtesy to everyone else and to give new members a chance.

if you post often enough, you won't even feel the restrictions anyway.
last edit on Jul 21, 2024 2:08:47 GMT by illidan main

praise the cats!
aliasthomas, breezescodes
pronounshe/him
887written posts
bcearned bits
onlinecurrently
bc
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
bc Avatar
this is my murder mittens ^-^
i was honestly talking from a member perspective that i personally like it when sites have these artificial road bumps. unless there's a hard cap on characters, i don't think implementing a "pls post x amount / post to x currency" is stopping members from apping as many characters as they want lmao.

but from an admin perspective, implementing these rules means admins have to spend less time deliberating on whether or not member mcgee is hoarding too many characters @ this point (or if we're being super cynical, puts it off long enough for the site to die before the hoarding gets too bad) if that's a thing they care about. at the end of the day, its up to admins to set the pace / expectations / kind of behaviour they want out of members, and that does start with the rules, including silly character slot roadblocking rules.

edit because the rambling never stops from me - i agree that if the admin reason is anything that was said above about member's learning to pace themselves or wte that's some patronising bullshit, @ least to me it came from a "pls pace me i beg of thee" pov, or some other kind of personal experience; but i can't imagine caring as an admin beyond the point where it is hurting the site (or my sanity) @ the pace which members are generally creating characters. (the hoarder mcgee... sometimes u do just have to sit down and talk it out u.u but if you're the definer of hoarder mcgee, you can also make rules in place to reduce the chances of hoarder mcgees in the first place)
last edit on Jul 21, 2024 2:58:45 GMT by bc
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
193written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.

I think most people are, or should be, understanding if you explain to them that if they end up making a lot of characters, those characters may be less prioritized for review and new applicants, or more active characters, will be first considered. I find putting something like this in my rules helps.

I’ve come to regard the ‘you can make more characters for posting’ to be an interesting restriction--I question how useful it actually is from an exclusive-member perspective.

Having more characters means splitting attention between all of them, someone being able to handle one or four characters’ activity doesn’t mean they can handle one more. That became my personal issue a few times to the point that I set a hard limit on how many characters I can have /across every site I’m on/.

I do find myself liking exceptions for say, Wanteds, or reduced other-character activity requirements if fulfilling a Wanted. This encourages people to push others’ plots more, hopefully, but there’s imaginable issues with this...

...there’s imaginable issues with everything, I don’t think there is a ‘perfect’ solution to this, just manners of running a site an admin prefers over others.

Of course, the whole ‘face claim hoarding’ issue is out of my mind. Let me be the devil or angle on your shoulder going ‘what if it didn’t exist’ ‘what if FC reserves weren’t a thing at all’ ‘what if-’

...jokes aside: there is no singular ‘right way’ to run an RP, or to RP, of course. It’s interesting how I keep learning about different RP practises, even after all these years.

last edit on Jul 21, 2024 5:39:22 GMT by Wraith
Catscape Meow!