Admin Pet-peeves

0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
Not sure if its just me but I find some people don't understand the amount of time and effort that goes into a site. So when they ask you to create another mass long speech into guide basically detailing every little inch of your site, down to what is where and what it does.. even the basic's like where the claims are even though the boards .. called the claims.. and just similar things like that. Or if they have a hissy cos there is information outside one board...its just tough XD I make introduction guides and how to's but sometimes you just have to take a quick look or go to the pile of links presented to you. 

/rant thank you XD
pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
lorrelline Avatar
Sept 3, 2018 14:51:03 GMT @lorrelline said:
Not sure if its just me but I find some people don't understand the amount of time and effort that goes into a site. So when they ask you to create another mass long speech into guide basically detailing every little inch of your site, down to what is where and what it does.. even the basic's like where the claims are even though the boards .. called the claims.. and just similar things like that. Or if they have a hissy cos there is information outside one board...its just tough XD I make introduction guides and how to's but sometimes you just have to take a quick look or go to the pile of links presented to you. 

/rant thank you XD

/slow clap
pronounsShe/Her
424written posts
luxearned bits
offlinecurrently
lux
lux Avatar
But I'm a sunflower, a little funny
So I've only been an Admin since November, but I've realized there are a few things that I just cannot stand.

❥ When a newbie joins, and can't figure out how to add an image to the application and they ask you and other staff multiple times how to do it and still don't understand.
❥ You're having a good ol' happy discussion in Discord and someone starts complaining about the same thing every day and makes everyone feel awkward -aka end happy discussion-
❥ When a guest or a member ask a question and you are online to answer, but another member (who is a staff on another site) constantly acts like they know everything and is pushy with giving answers that sometimes are not true.
❥ When a member who is on every Activity Check and is constantly killing threads is making new characters immediately after they save multiple and now has 10+ characters
❥ When that same member ^ asks questions they've already asked before and when you answer them all nice and respectfully they say, "Well you really should add that to your rules". -eye twitch-
❥ AND MY ALL TIME FAVORITE is when someone joins, makes an application for a want ad, completely godmods, so I PM them about fixing that up, and when their application is finished I notice a few more things that need to be fixed so I post it pending and THEN they post, "wow I was wrong about this site you obviously are a bad admin and like to embarrass people". But that's not the best part. They rejoined a few months later under a different alias and now it's just awkward.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I meant to mention these two prior, but I am infinitely forgetful.

When members abuse the @everyone tag in Discord. I loved having it available for the longest time, especially since it was usually used sparingly and as an invitation to games we planned to play while voice chatting. However, when it began getting abused, my staff and I were forced to eliminate it entirely from the server for members and instead keep it as a staff only tool. I found it incredibly unfortunate on account of the fact that because of a few members abusing it, everybody who was being responsible with it was forced to lose the privilege.

When members feel the need to get petty revenge on members or staff because they politely made a request or refused something. This always just hurts my head... Probably because I find it difficult to understand pettiness considering I am rather laid back and do not comprehend the reason why the member "needed" vengeance... Please, just no... it hurts me too much...
the endless hunt
aliasleto, blobert, crow
pronounshe / they
1,390written posts
ullaearned bits
offlinecurrently
ulla
Administrator
ulla Avatar
in turning divine, we tangle endlessly

this is specifically a me problem versus being a thing that members do that drives me up the wall but i hate when i have to make a pend on an app for something really insignificant (like a logistical error) because it makes me feel super petty! but like at the same time it's something that's important and i have to hold everyone to the guidelines of app acceptance even if the line was only barely crossed and will take 2 seconds to fix

idk i just feel bad orz
pronounsHe/him
84written posts
NULLearned bits
offlinecurrently
NULL
NULL Avatar
When you figure out how to balance the system for your site, but, then that just leads to more questions. Like, im trying to make a site that's solid, not confusing, and easy to understand. But also fair, and balanced, and allows people to be creative, but one power typing just, breaks the rest, but you reaaallly want it on the site. 8(
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,515written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
I dunno if someone's already mentioned this - there are a lot of pages - but what irks me is when people obviously, like, post the application into the preview tab and it's visibly spaced terribly, but they never bother, like... asking for help before moving it through notification? Like, do you not see how broken this app is. I can't. I can't accept it like this, you must know.

Honestly, though, just little things like visibly broken apps (you can SEE what it's supposed to look like in the app thread/through other applications) or incorrect aspect ratio avatars irritate me... probably a little too much. Like, I get that not everyone is code savvy or has great graphics skills - but you can ask other people for help! I always encourage people to let me know about broken code or graphics troubles because I want to help them. I can't help you if you won't let me help you.

Every time I see broken posting templates or really poorly stretched images, I wish I could just sneak in and edit everything for them without telling them, but that's probably not acceptable. OTL
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
pharaoh leap Avatar
I dunno if someone's already mentioned this - there are a lot of pages - but what irks me is when people obviously, like, post the application into the preview tab and it's visibly spaced terribly, but they never bother, like... asking for help before moving it through notification? Like, do you not see how broken this app is. I can't. I can't accept it like this, you must know.

Honestly, though, just little things like visibly broken apps (you can SEE what it's supposed to look like in the app thread/through other applications) or incorrect aspect ratio avatars irritate me... probably a little too much. Like, I get that not everyone is code savvy or has great graphics skills - but you can ask other people for help! I always encourage people to let me know about broken code or graphics troubles because I want to help them. I can't help you if you won't let me help you.

Every time I see broken posting templates or really poorly stretched images, I wish I could just sneak in and edit everything for them without telling them, but that's probably not acceptable. OTL

Have you ever thought about using scripts to disable preview mode? I can't remember where on proboards support I dug this out of but this script removes it and the necessity to have that conversation about not using it every couple of weeks

<script type="text/javascript">
/* Disable Preview Tab on Proboards V5 (Global Header)*/
/* WARNING: Dictator MOD - not suitable for tree hugging freedom lovers */
(function(fn){
var W = fn.wysiwyg.prototype._create;
fn.wysiwyg.prototype._create = function(){
//force bbcode editor upon WYSIWYG load
this.options.defaultEditor = 'bbcode';
//call original from within hook
W.apply(this, arguments);
//hide the preview tab
$('#menu-item-visual').hide();
//disable keyboard shortcuts to prevent switching using keyboard
proboards.hotkeys.wysiwyg = $.noop;
//a delegate handler also exists on document for the shortcut so step on that too
$.each($(document).data('events').keydown, function( kdi, evh){
var f = evh.handler.toString();
if(/\#menu\-item\-bbcode\s+a/.test(f)){
evh.originalHandler = evh.handler;
evh.handler = $.noop;
return false;
}
})
}
})(jQuery.ui);
</script>
pronounsShe/Her
424written posts
luxearned bits
offlinecurrently
lux
lux Avatar
But I'm a sunflower, a little funny

❥ I'm not sure if anyone else does this with their claims, but I just simply ask that members take out the asterisks for their posts when claiming and almost every single newbie does not do it.
❥ When your members are discussing something controversial in the discord and you just ask that they be respectful and the same member who always back talks you continued to do so 🙃🙃
pronounsHe/Him/His
1,094written posts
lightearned bits
offlinecurrently
light
Part of the Furniture
light Avatar
the one thing i hate is being rushed or feeling like i need to rush an event or else members will leave b/c they feel like nothing is happening. that's annoying as shit and it reminds me why being an admin is very bad, but then you remember you wanna write b/c it keeps you sane but then you remember you have to deal with people and bullshit and all i wanna do is just create a fun place to write with my friends and people who aren't annoying but it just backfires and then i feel bad.

it's gotten to the point where i'm okay with a small community at this point and that's just not okay to be okay with b/c i like big communities, just not when they're something i'm running b/c it just spells bad news bears.
last edit on Oct 7, 2018 23:22:12 GMT by light
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,797written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
When I get told to add something to the plot/lore that is already IN the plot/lore; mind you I mean this in a manner that feels rude. Usually, I find most members that accidentally miss information are rather polite, oftentimes asking questions related to the material. The people who condescendingly tell me to add it to the information when it is already provided are the ones that bother me, especially since I find it is usually a heavily explained point that gets about an entire paragraph or two of explanation; it always gives me the vibe that they never truly read the plot/lore...

When significant information in the plot/lore gets called unimportant... Especially when it is information even used in personal plotting between members since certain pieces of information are things members use as a driving force for characters; I know I have done this before.

When I do not know how to provide good thanks for super nice members. ;-; I never know what to say in response to the kindness of my members and how they have assisted me cause I can be extremely socially awkward. Every time I see this kindness, it makes me smile and I pray for a day I can repay the benevolence they have shown me.
pronounsgoddess
454written posts
pixie pieearned bits
offlinecurrently
pixie pie
pixie pie Avatar
light Avatar
the one thing i hate is being rushed or feeling like i need to rush an event or else members will leave b/c they feel like nothing is happening.

This. I feel like I am forever making new events and stuff because members can't come up with their own entertainment and events die off because they don't feel like anything is happening so I have to make another event to make them post at it. Yeah I understand this far too well.