write a reply

Post a Random Thought

236written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
The Law Avatar
I feel that the advent of mobile gacha games have negatively impacted the animanga RP scene. Mind, there are some positives too, such as providing a wealth of aesthetically-pleasing and permission-free faceclaims in the form of their official art. But on the negative side of things, I feel that the storytelling of these games have influenced RP storytelling as well and not in a good way.

I don't know if I'm just overanalysing, or if this is even an official trope, but Gacha Game Subplot Syndrome is real on the sites I used to play on. This is referring to the tendency for gacha games to have character subplots whose stakes are on an equally large/grand scale as the main plot, if not sometimes more so.

Which goes against the more "traditional" (at least in the shonen action adventure sense) animanga narrative where character subplots tend to involve more personal scale stakes for the character, while the large scale stakes take place within the main plot.
I don’t think I’ve even encountered this. High-stakes stories make sense from a storytelling perspective, and most sites I see proudly boast character-drive narratives. In other words, the site is predominantly a setting. It makes sense that you have to forge your own high-stakes story.

Could you explain what you mean exactly? 
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
ditto become human Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
I love writing but i hate writing
I love coding but i hate coding
I love cooking but i hate cooking

Starting to see a vicious pattern

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
aliasxeno
pronounsshe/her
36written posts
xenoearned bits
offlinecurrently
xeno
xeno Avatar
The Law Avatar
I feel that the advent of mobile gacha games have negatively impacted the animanga RP scene. Mind, there are some positives too, such as providing a wealth of aesthetically-pleasing and permission-free faceclaims in the form of their official art. But on the negative side of things, I feel that the storytelling of these games have influenced RP storytelling as well and not in a good way.

I don't know if I'm just overanalysing, or if this is even an official trope, but Gacha Game Subplot Syndrome is real on the sites I used to play on. This is referring to the tendency for gacha games to have character subplots whose stakes are on an equally large/grand scale as the main plot, if not sometimes more so.

Which goes against the more "traditional" (at least in the shonen action adventure sense) animanga narrative where character subplots tend to involve more personal scale stakes for the character, while the large scale stakes take place within the main plot.

i see this too and it makes me sad. you can include character subplots in the main site narrative, but i find more and more that sites are just completely missing that these days. i wouldn't say that personal character subplots get more important though...? it's just a bunch of people messing around in a sandbox. seems like it's all the rage these days, i'm happy for the people who enjoy it. but to me that's like having a D&D campaign where the DM explains the world to you and then doesn't say anything else... i'd just be confused what we're all here for.
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,355written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
The Law Avatar

while i agree that anecdotally i think there has been an increase in character-driven sites over plot-driven ones in the last several years, at least in public rp spaces, honestly, i think it's a correlation that gacha games have also become more popular in the animanga space, not causation.

if you want something to blame... honestly, i would blame the same general factors that are why we're seeing less of [x thing in the rpc] in the first place - the aging of the community seeing a decrease in the available time + effort to dedicate pulling it off, a shorter life cycle for the majority of sites/members/plots, and a general shrinking of the overall player base in the community. after all, doing a large overarching site plot takes an exponential amount of effort, between the staff pre-writing at least a direction they want the site plot to go in, having to coordinate with the player base any time there's any kind of development for that site plot, and then actually getting the members to post to progress that site plot - and that's on top of everything else we expect from the staff and the personal plots everyone is supposed to progress as well!

and that's without even getting into the fact that, y'know, not everyone on a site does actually want or care to progress an overarching site plot, sometimes despite holding key positions that would dictate whether progression is possible in the first place, and that sometimes, progressing the site plot might actually push people away if that progression is one that will make their personal goals more difficult or impossible to obtain or if their posting speed means they're out-of-step with the site progression (slower or faster) or even just that they don't like or disagree with the progression. or touching on the impact member unavailability, character inactivity, and role turnover / empty roles has on trying to progress a site plot. but both of those things are a whole different can of worms that i don't really wanna get into when this is the post a random thought thread, not a discussion thread.

just. tl;dr yeah, slice-of-life and character-driven public sites probably are a ton more common nowadays than plot-driven ones, and in all honesty, i think it's kind of to be expected, since in this day and age of limited time, energy, interest, and availability for rp, it's really hard to consistently wrangle a lot of people across a wide variety of those four factors to all progress any kind of plot forward in the long-term, so with that in mind, it's not exactly a shock that rpers and sites are choosing to go down paths that mitigate that difficulty, whether it be going private/semi-private or forgoing an overarching site plot in the first place.

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
*sits down with coffee*

man i have to poop

aliasvelk, cyan
pronounsshe/her
59written posts
safi'jiivaearned bits
offlinecurrently
safi'jiiva
safi'jiiva Avatar
sometimes, things that are edgy are cool
xeno Avatar
The Law Avatar

i see this too and it makes me sad. you can include character subplots in the main site narrative, but i find more and more that sites are just completely missing that these days. i wouldn't say that personal character subplots get more important though...? it's just a bunch of people messing around in a sandbox. seems like it's all the rage these days, i'm happy for the people who enjoy it. but to me that's like having a D&D campaign where the DM explains the world to you and then doesn't say anything else... i'd just be confused what we're all here for.

to riff off of my beloved wife and op, i agree with xeno wholeheartedly, but i wanna add my two cents to it regardless bc im insufferable and have a lot of thoughts on this lol.

i think the way op describes character/plot-driven is kind of setting everything up for disaster because they're positioned as opposites and i don't think that's necessarily true. character plots should be encouraged even in a plot-focused rp, and they should be able to run alongside the main plot with stakes and the power to affect the mainline plot. writing and roleplaying are collaborative by their very nature and every character should get their MC moment - to do that, you need people to get invested and buy in with their own personal plots which you can then, as staff, reward with helping them get there.

i've noticed as well that a lot of sandboxes are not actually sandboxes. they are sandboxes in that they have no plot and the members are expecting to create it out of thin air, but the admins don't actually want to let the players have complete powers over their setting and change things. now, i completely understand not wanting to have your setting ruined (i'm finishing up vanaheimr right now for a november release after my holidays, and i'm quite proud of my worldbuilding thank you.); but if you don't provide plots/a reason for people to be engaged with your roleplay then they will inevitably get bored and there cannot be the same amount buy in.

i noticed somewhere that kuroya noted that people are busier and less invested, this is true. but maybe it's a cycle - there are sites that are easier to set up, so people join them bc there's nothing else. there's not much for them to do there, so they leave. so the sites close down. people think there's no point making something with an in-depth plot, so they don't make them. i am a notorious slice of life hater, if i wanted to have casual little rps i would go to nightclubs/cafes in ffxiv instead tbh, but i think post by post rps are naturally suited to extensive plotting and wordplay craft more than any other rp medium, including ttrpgs.

so, getting back to the idea of character driven/plot driven. i think that there needs to at least be a site plot (the site plot can be something incredibly simple mind you) that gives characters something to react to and be dynamic. not every site plot needs to be a world ending event or complex political landscape, but i feel that giving players at least something to play with outside their control is genuinely a good thing to do. like xeno said, dropping players into a world without any direction is a recipe for boredom. i've been a dm for 10+ years and i would never simply leave my players in somewhere like waterdeep or barovia without at least something to hook them in and get them engaged, even if that's something as minor as a barfight or a thief in alleyway, or as world threatening as a red dragon.

yes, not everyone is interested in SOL. but also by the same token, people do want plots and not sandboxes. gatcha games are wrong with a lot of things in the video game industry - they did not kill rp though.
last edit on Sept 6, 2024 7:58:47 GMT by safi'jiiva
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,533written posts
offlinecurrently
ditto become human
Part of the Furniture
Grand stakes aren’t exclusive to gacha games. Rather than gacha games, i think it’s just forum rpers realizing a plot is important in keeping the site going and running, the sane way conflict is necessary in stories. Sandbox and sol rp’s have a different direction so motivation is different. But if you’re crafting a lore, you want something for people to play on with and loosely bind them together so ppl can come up with plots.

My neighbors and i used to fight with sticks and larp about bombs and power-granting birds to save the world when i was 7 and gacha didnt exist back in my days!!!

pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
i will say that the issues with SOL are that if the site is super cliquey, you don't get a real way in. but plot-based can only have so many cooks, too, and if you let too many people in, the plot becomes scattered. so yanno, it's a vicious cycle either way. it's just more annoying in SOL because in theory you shouldn't have to limit people for plot reasons.

i'm running a plot-based RP in WoW and I limited it to a specific amount of people just because if you let the entire server join, you have to railroad events or you'll never get anything done. but i've been upfront about that when I was recruiting for it.
last edit on Sept 6, 2024 14:29:51 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
aliasvelk, cyan
pronounsshe/her
59written posts
safi'jiivaearned bits
offlinecurrently
safi'jiiva
safi'jiiva Avatar
sometimes, things that are edgy are cool
illidan main Avatar
i will say that the issues with SOL are that if the site is super cliquey, you don't get a real way in. but plot-based can only have so many cooks, too, and if you let too many people in, the plot becomes scattered. so yanno, it's a vicious cycle either way. it's just more annoying in SOL because in theory you shouldn't have to limit people for plot reasons.

i'm running a plot-based RP in WoW and I limited it to a specific amount of people just because if you let the entire server join, you have to railroad events or you'll never get anything done. but i've been upfront about that when I was recruiting for it.
you touch on a really on a interesting point as someone who has roots in xiv rp too (and god above, i hated it, mean girl central) yes, of course you won't let an entire server join bc that is thousands of people. but i have successfully ran a plot for an fc of around 50 people where they got all have their plots and moments because they bought in and understood boundaries so it really is just finding people and setting their expectations correctly. i stated earlier somewhere that i think a lot of people curtail their more ambitious plans bc people might take advantage of it - and my answer is that bans and blocks exist for a reason. you should just enjoy yourself and go for it!!!!! it'll look different for everyone.

personally, i have zero experience with sol. i am a hater, if there is not dragons or lovecraftian influences in my rp then what am i doing. i come at this as always from a solely original rp perspective so i can't really speak as to SOL cliqueness.
pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
safi'jiiva Avatar
illidan main Avatar

you touch on a really on a interesting point as someone who has roots in xiv rp too (and god above, i hated it, mean girl central) yes, of course you won't let an entire server join bc that is thousands of people. but i have successfully ran a plot for an fc of around 50 people where they got all have their plots and moments because they bought in and understood boundaries so it really is just finding people and setting their expectations correctly. i stated earlier somewhere that i think a lot of people curtail their more ambitious plans bc people might take advantage of it - and my answer is that bans and blocks exist for a reason. you should just enjoy yourself and go for it!!!!! it'll look different for everyone.

personally, i have zero experience with sol. i am a hater, if there is not dragons or lovecraftian influences in my rp then what am i doing. i come at this as always from a solely original rp perspective so i can't really speak as to SOL cliqueness.
ye it's just more that i really wanted some closer character connections, and it's so much easier in a small group than a big one. I've always felt very lost in big groups, so I found a few people that wanted to do some RP stuff on a smaller scale.

SOL doesn't necessarily mean "no fantasy elements" to me, it mostly just means that the site plot doesn't really matter. i'm starting a character-driven site with cosmic horror elements (largely inspired by The King in Yellow and Lovecraft) and while I'm not gonna set a plot, I'm going to set it up in such a way that players can interact with the horror elements if they want to. There's no giant monsters, but there's old gods, i'm having a character start a cult because he thinks he hears the voice of the Christian god in his dreams (we don't know what it is for real; he is definitely hearing Something but is it God?), there's magic and cryptids, that sort of thing. I'm just letting the members decide what they do in a low-fantasy future world ruined by war.
last edit on Sept 6, 2024 17:19:35 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW