pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
dark balls of sight Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
illidan main Avatar
tbh i maintain that a huge reason the RL community is bigger than the animanga one is that RL has better resources for finding FCs. most of my FC usage is RL for that reason.

like idk i prefer animanga from an aesthetic standpoint, but i can't deny that if two identical sites have an "fcs must be 18+" rule, and the only difference is what kind of FC they use, i'm joining the RL one every single time. it's less work on me to find a good FC when the FC directories for RL are sorted by age, gender, and race, and there are a million of them to choose from.

Eh. I’ve seen plenty of people join animanga who would have no idea what fc to use. But they find one eventually while on site.

I think certainly, fc resource is a factor of convenience for some but I don’t think it’s a majority issue. People should stop caring too much on it instead. We shouldn’t have to need so many art icons. If you wanted stricter restrictions, just allow faceless.

I’m mostly animanga and when i was in irl, i had a hard time with fcs. The resources helped in like one or two fcs, but it is hardly a complete list either. I want to play asian faces but it’s all artists with perfect looks. Had to go pinterest hunting myself. So it still boils down in the rper’s preference. How badly they want to focus on art resources etc

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
pronounshe/him
418written posts
Salmonearned bits
offlinecurrently
Salmon
Salmon Avatar
I’m big on crediting art but I understand when you can’t track down the source. My biggest gripe is when people post unsourced and uncredited art that has a big DO NOT REPOST watermark on it and editing and tracing other people’s art will get a side eye from me. I try to make my own graphics or commission art when I can
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
offlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
Metagaming is actually the worst of the 3 big rp no-nos by a huge margin 🥲

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
pronounshe, him
561written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I don't have too much experience outside of animanga but to review you need the following skills to make a site that many people consider to be worthy of joining

-People Person/Leadership skill
-Recruiting
-Ability to make or outsource a customized skin that no one has ever used before, but looks enough like every other skin to be cool.
-Good Writing Ability
-A compelling plot
-Flexible Schedule
-Image editing skills
-Artistic Talent or Money for commissioned art or a sworn statement from an artist with three witnesses in a court of law.
-Money to subscribe to premium so people can write segs /j.
-SEO optimization.
-Years of experience with a stellar reputation.
-Established friend group to mod and startup with.
-Discord chat moderation skills.

With all those things on the table, is it really any surprise when you can't find a site about a niche manga that has never been translated to English or adapted into anime?

The hobby is not dying, it has just become a career field to make things happen. So I'd either get used to panfandoms and very popular series RPs or try to lower standards a bit. The mid 2010's golden era where a couple talented people were hammering out skin after skin is over and aesthetic expectations keep getting higher.
last edit on Oct 1, 2023 9:57:59 GMT by Sharp
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
804written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
i don't get angry when i'm pissed; i'm the eternal optimist.
came into fionna and cake expecting a good (adventure) time and to have gumlee warm my heart. came out of it with a fair amount of existential crises and being emo over simon petrikov.

11/10 show. little to no complaints.

coming soon.
aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
434written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
illidan main Avatar
tbh i maintain that a huge reason the RL community is bigger than the animanga one is that RL has better resources for finding FCs. most of my FC usage is RL for that reason.

like idk i prefer animanga from an aesthetic standpoint, but i can't deny that if two identical sites have an "fcs must be 18+" rule, and the only difference is what kind of FC they use, i'm joining the RL one every single time. it's less work on me to find a good FC when the FC directories for RL are sorted by age, gender, and race, and there are a million of them to choose from.

Eh. I’ve seen plenty of people join animanga who would have no idea what fc to use. But they find one eventually while on site.

I think certainly, fc resource is a factor of convenience for some but I don’t think it’s a majority issue. People should stop caring too much on it instead. We shouldn’t have to need so many art icons. If you wanted stricter restrictions, just allow faceless.

I’m mostly animanga and when i was in irl, i had a hard time with fcs. The resources helped in like one or two fcs, but it is hardly a complete list either. I want to play asian faces but it’s all artists with perfect looks. Had to go pinterest hunting myself. So it still boils down in the rper’s preference. How badly they want to focus on art resources etc
I would love to see an active FC resource again. I relied so hard on Face in the Crowd and Iconic. If something gets active again, I'd love to contribute and make some icons.
pronounshe/him
796written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
Sharp Avatar
I don't have too much experience outside of animanga but to review you need the following skills to make a site that many people consider to be worthy of joining

-People Person/Leadership skill
-Recruiting
-Ability to make or outsource a customized skin that no one has ever used before, but looks enough like every other skin to be cool.
-Good Writing Ability
-A compelling plot
-Flexible Schedule
-Image editing skills
-Artistic Talent or Money for commissioned art or a sworn statement from an artist with three witnesses in a court of law.
-Money to subscribe to premium so people can write segs /j.
-SEO optimization.
-Years of experience with a stellar reputation.
-Established friend group to mod and startup with.
-Discord chat moderation skills.

With all those things on the table, is it really any surprise when you can't find a site about a niche manga that has never been translated to English or adapted into anime?

The hobby is not dying, it has just become a career field to make things happen. So I'd either get used to panfandoms and very popular series RPs or try to lower standards a bit. The mid 2010's golden era where a couple talented people were hammering out skin after skin is over and aesthetic expectations keep getting higher.
honestly yeah. the people who won't join sites with premade/simple skins are part of the problem. the aesthetic arms race of creating a site has become a huge issue, and it honestly discourages a lot of people from trying.

this is a issue in RL as well, tbh, and i feel like it's a huge hurdle for getting involved in forum RP. even joining forum RP without an innate understanding of how to appeal to ppl's aesthetic "needs" will get you ignored. it's part of why i don't join sites where templates are in-use, even if they are optional, because they are almost always necessary to get the community to pay attention to you.

i can imagine why people would do discord RP when forum RP has so many hoops to jump through.

edit: you also can never not be on discord as an admin, but this is an issue with discord RPs too. rip to anyone with a sleep schedule or offline hobbies.
last edit on Oct 1, 2023 17:31:37 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,225written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
is this why I'm a decent admin? Because I have no life whatsoever??

I joke.

Anyways, I do agree that forum rp is almost a full-time commitment. Even in laid back communities you still have to consider either being around a lot, or having staff that circulate throughout time. Someone for morning staff, someone for overnight staff. It can be really really hard to keep a site running if you don't have someone constantly around. Or if you're not good at recruiting or advertising or hosting events, then you really gotta find folks to fill those gaps, and if you can't, or if you don't have the time to commit, you're not going to go very far. It's like people often forget that everyone has their own stuff to do, and the expectation for someone to always be around is a little high these days.

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW