What Makes a Good Starter?

aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
205written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
Let's get right down to it. Sometimes starters can make or break a thread for people. It has to set the scene, tone, and many other things so you and your partner(s) can get going with your idea. I know we all have some standards when it comes to creating our own or what we look for in others, so I'd like to hear it from the public.

1. What makes a good starter?
  2. Do you like starting threads? If not, why?

I'll give my answers really quick and pop back in every now and then to weigh some answers:

1. I think a good starter has to set the scene and tone but most importantly, it gives an avenue for another character to jump in. There's nothing more that I despise when someone gives me a starter and it doesn't somehow include my character so it's my job to come up with an idea for how they should be able to be included in the scenario. I've had a lot of threads where the starter just didn't give me that sort of invitation and our characters didn't end up saying hello to each other for 4 back and forth replies to each other. So, it's really important to me that a good starter includes that. I also don't want the starter to be dry or too much from the start. If it starts right in the middle of the idea that me and my partner had, it's hard for me to get going because i'd prefer that build up. What I mean is, if myself and another person had planned for our characters to kiss or fight in a thread, i don't want the first reply to start with that, I need the build up beforehand.

2. I do, because it's easier for me to set the scene in my head. But I will admit that I sometimes struggle with this as well. I want to give a good setting and tone for the thread but sometimes it's difficult to get that down into words. But I will say it's easy to get them wrong because starters are hard and I admit that. It's why I started this thread cause I'm curious how other people write their starters. 

no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
171written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
1. includes my character in some way + gives me something concrete to respond to
2. yes. i like having the thread in my tracker right away (isnโ€™t it great that we have automatic trackers now) + setting the Vibes is usually pretty fun
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,326written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
A starter should definitely be inviting for the other person to be able to hop in. But I am guilty of sacrificing that sometimes to set what I feel is the most important: the story.

I remember how I used to hate making starters when I was relatively still new to freeform rping. But I loved naming threads, and I eventually learned to love making starters. It's not easy, but it is very rewarding. My favourite thing to do is to look up opening starters from novels, be it for the whole book or for the chapter. It's something I do to when writing fics.

Getting to the point is the most important for starters IMO. And it shouldn't be full of thoughts and feelings (unless that was the tone you want to set), but information that is moving the narrative. Your partner needs to know what's up. But it also establishes a pace that something is happening, or has happened to lead to the current circumstances of the thread.

But then there's the balance of length. you want novel intro inspo but not actually wanting to write a novel. sometimes, it can be painful to not have to include some beautiful prose that would really work well - and is still relevant. but chopping things down is vital part of editing...

i do imagine rping often as cutscenes in games. so a starter can always be a separate cutscene, as long as it leads then to you and your partner meeting next thread post.

i also think scene break to be underused! it's not usual to have them at starters, but they're useful when you want to lay down the progression leading to the interaction. the set up doesn't have to be complex. things don't have to be heavily descriptive. as long as you have a narrative running, people can picture the scene itself and feel more inspired to continue it.
last edit on Oct 9, 2023 14:33:57 GMT by BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
525written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
{ What makes a good starter? }

for me, i tend to enjoy starters that get straight to the point and drop our characters into a scene. if it is a longer post bc the person wants to set up a precursor for their character โ€” by all means. just give my character some bait to bite and it's good enough for me.

if the post has nothing to do with my character and puts me in a position where i need to initiate the interaction with my post then i'd dub it a not so good starter. bc at that point, it ends up being me writing the starter.

{ Do you like starting threads? If not, why? }

i do when i have an idea of the type of thread we are doing. the scene we want to set. what we are exploring. etc.

but if it is one of those 'just throw them into anything' type plots with not too much discussion beforehand โ€” i hate starting them. yuckie. ๐Ÿ˜ฟ some people are really good at that but i am not.
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I. for me personally i think the tone/feeling of the starter is important. you can have the right everything to make a scene, but if it doesn't 'feel' like anything then it's just two characters in a lifeless space. and the rest of the thread is going to feel like we're just doing it for the sake of activity checks. if that makes sense? idk how to explain it exactly. but i want to feel that your character is pissed, or that they're enjoying themselves. because if i can immerse myself in your writing then it will definitely help me in responding back and enjoying the rest of the thread. it's kind of like making a first impression.

II. i don't really like starting threads, whether we plan it or not. tho i do like writing open threads. anyways, reason being i tend to write a lot and it usually ends up being this para heavy starter. of course i could, and do, chop a bunch of stuff out, but i always end up feeling like a little sad about it. plus i feel angsty whenever someone has to wait for me to write something. like i don't mind waiting 80yrs for a starter but i feel bad when it's the other way around. but if i need to i don't mind especially if we're taking turns in whose starting the next thread.
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
725written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
1. what makes a good starter?

when i read your post, i should be able to know where i'm going to go and how i'm gonna write my post. i actually enjoy reading people's longer posts, it excites me because it tells me that they're enjoying writing with me and have plenty to respond to (usually). 

2. Do you like starting threads? If not, why?

i do! i actually prefer it and enjoy it the most, if i'm being honest. most of my threads are planned out in some way,  and that is something i prefer because as i stated previously, i like to know where i'm going when i write. i don't even necessarily have a gameplan or know how my character will respond, i just prefer to know ahead of time so i know the thread is going to go somewhere. i also tend to ramble on about my own character a bit so it's nice to be able to take the time to set the scene with my character in it. 

pronounsD A R K
259written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
What makes a good starter.
I. A post that actually shows character. Like thoughts of their life, things that happened to them etc. I've read a lot of start posts where...I learn 0% about the character. In fact the name can be replaced with x y & z and it would make no difference. I don't need a ton of action or a post that's a mile long, but really seeing who your character is as a person through their writing is always such a treat, makes them feel so real and interesting.

Do you like starting threads?
II. Yes and no! I enjoy doing it, but then when I've done it 20+ times, that's when I start to not enjoy staring up threads.
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
What makes a good starter?
Give me a setting to write in. Give me a character to respond to. I'm not especially fussed on if my character is mentioned at all. I often like doing 'dropped in the moment' starters where it's one person set in the scene, and the person replying gets to decide what their character is doing in response. I dislike assuming what other characters would do or not, and so I try to make a real enough scenario the writer can decide how to integrate themselves into it.

Do you like starting threads? If not, why?
I do! Because I like naming threads, and it's easier for me to keep track of threads that way to be quite honest!
last edit on Oct 10, 2023 0:22:34 GMT by scarlet
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
1. I just gotta know where the character is, the current setting, what they're doing, and all that. I donโ€™t mind having my own character not mentioned at all and lean towards preferring to figure it out in my reply. I am a fan of open threads. I donโ€™t mind long or short posts, I love reading longer posts but short and sweet is sweet too.

2. Energy permitting...yes? Maybe. My least favourite thing about starting threads is naming them. If someone wants a thread with one of my characters, doesnโ€™t want to start, if they prefer having their character mentioned: lets me know what their character would be doing, and gives me a name for the thread so I donโ€™t have to agonize over it, Iโ€™ll generally start anything.

Catscape Meow!