pronounsshe/any
729written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
onlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
so ever since that discussion thread about people not reading apps, and how people write too much for their character's histories, i've been thinking about what constitutes as being too long. personally if a character has a long history, i don't care, i just skim it. i literally just finished writing a 1,750 word history, and i'm sure some people would say that's way too long, but for people like myself and my primary rp partner that's...pretty average? i'd say? lmao

i'm just curious bc not every character of mine has a winding and soap opera backstory! i even try to be brief, i just have a lot to say at all times, and i don't know why as a writer that that is necessarily a bad thing or would discourage people from reading what i wrote. but that's just for applications. i tend to put far more effort into my applications because they're apps, and to me, i consider them to be basically a resume for me and my character. i want to put my best foot forward, and while i do not really equate length with quality (at least not anymore lol), i find it interesting that people see a longer app and are discouraged by it. 

as for posts, i do try to match posting length if i didn't start the thread. sometimes that doesn't always happen bc i have a lot to say, but that is my intention. but nothing sucks more than when i write a lengthy starter for a thread and i get a response that is a quarter of the length. i always wonder if what i put out wasn't quality, or if people are just not putting as much effort into it. do people see long posts and roll their eyes? bc to me, i see long ass posts, and i get hype bc i equate that with the poster being excited about the topic and that in turn, makes me more eager to respond. 

it's not often that i get a response that i think to myself and say, "damn this is long", and when i do it's usually from my primary rp partner bc she writes like a madwoman (affectionate) but i'm excited by this bc it means i have more to respond to. i always thought this was a universal experience, but reading thru that thread awhile back was really eye opening for me.

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,328written posts
onlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
add the regression tag Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
nothingโ€™s too long iโ€™ll read your character analysis for free and support you while weโ€™re on the same ride together. Nothing gives me more power than being able to understand someone elseโ€™s character and then doing a thing that makes the rper go holy sht tanz you totally got them abd id be loke yeah ik tee hee

rping for me was never abt rping my fav characters or playing types i like. Itโ€™s always been about telling a story, and learning of a story. I myself dont know my characters well from the get go. I discover who they are and i always fall in love with whoever they turn out to be

So itโ€™s the same for other characters. I love learning about them. I love giving them the love they deserve.

And i also think sharing and understanding the love someone has for a character is special. Itโ€™s why i love fellow suzaku kururugi fans. Suzaku is a particularly complicated character that does take effort to undersrand so people who love him means theyve gone through the same phase that i did and wept and laughed at how messed up he is

Aka i flourish in sharing exp with others so
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
i have a threshold for it but it tends to not be a negative thing. i tend to like more information over a little information.

the only time i will say something is too long to tolerate reading is when the text is composed of giant paragraphs with no variance in the length of the paragraphs and sentences they're composed of. as a reader, it is exhausting to read walls of text and run on / overtly fluffed sentences.

so, i suppose, for the most part it boils down to how 'proper' (using that in a loose, opinionated way) the other person writes.
last edit on Nov 22, 2023 22:24:01 GMT by porsef
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
252written posts
Jenesisearned bits
onlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
porsef Avatar
the only time i will say something is too long to tolerate reading is when the text is composed of giant paragraphs with no variance in the length of the paragraphs and sentences they're composed of. as a reader, it is exhausting to read walls of text and run on / overtly fluffed sentences.

This, mainly. The only time I notice something is 'too long' is when my eyes were already glazing over from boredom at what I was reading, in which case any additional length becomes exponentially more intolerable.

I also don't put word counts on my posts or try to 'match' my thread partners, just vibe check if we're giving each other enough to go off of.

The only thing I've noticed wrt my own writing length is my apps tend to be on the wordier side and the word count goes up when I'm writing fight scenes.
the chalk prince
aliasrook
pronounsthey / them
921written posts
citrinitasearned bits
onlinecurrently
citrinitas
Part of the Furniture
citrinitas Avatar
i still fall for you like suns do for skies.
much like what jenesis said, i don't try to match my partner's length. at least not these days. i often have issues if people try to post long posts for threads that could otherwise be explained in like... three/four paragraphs but stretch it to be 8 or more. -_-
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,328written posts
onlinecurrently
add the regression tag
Part of the Furniture
add the regression tag Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
O i forgot this was aboit post length too. Thats a different story.

I dont try to match post length. I think whatever is necessary works. Rather, length is hardly ever the problem. I find the flow more of the pressing issue. Like when there are double convos happening and it just becomes hard to reply. Or when the subject keeps circling about and it makes it hard for me to push the thread forward bc the other poster is just passively reacting insteas of hleping me out

Iโ€™m guilty of writing long posts sometimes but itโ€™s like, 1 out of 50 posts, and i do it bci want to change things up a bit sometimes. Play the scene a bit differentlyโ€ฆ idk i write a lot and i get worried my writing starts to look like a set pattern with replaceable words lol so i try to do things form other angles
0written posts
Deletedearned bits
offlinecurrently
Deleted
Deleted Avatar
I think when it comes to apps, it's okay to have as much information (or as little) as you want, so others can know your characters. I mean apps are meant to give people an insight of what a character is about/what to expect of them. For threads/replies, I don't care how much my partners write but me personally, I always feel like I write too much/overly go in-depth. By much too, in relation to me, is when I double the length of my partner's length. To stop myself from writing too much, I make it a habit to match post length of my partners which often means I spend a good chunk of my time editing my replies. Though sometimes it can't be helped and I pray my partner doesn't feel obligated to match/gets overwhelm and doesn't want to response because of the length.
115written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Personally, I don't equate length with effort. Whenever I edit writing, often I have to cut things, not add to them. After all, people are inclined to repeat things, meander, or get lost in minute details irrelevant to the scene.

I'm not privy to people's lives, so I don't like to assume things based on circumstantial evidence at best. I have no way of telling whether someone made 5 minutes of time in a busy work schedule to reply to a post, or if they spent 15 minutes writing while they were waiting for the bus. The former comes off as someone who is more enthusiastic, even if their shorter writing time usually means a shorter post.

If I were to describe a filthy kitchen, I might write something as such:

He walks in and almost doubles over. The air is filled with the stench of rotten eggs, mouldy rice, a sour smell that might be milk or meat. Plates in shades of grey and brown cover the surfaces. Pots and pans fill the sink. Something that was once rice is spread on the floor.

He walks out and retches.

I spent ten minutes on that, but it's not very long. Does that mean it's low effort?

Turn it around. Say roleplaying is like having two actors in an impromptu play, bouncing off each other. One of the actors walks to the front of the stage and holds a 10-minute soliloquy while the other sits in a corner, sipping some water, checking their insta, maybe write a post.

Often when I read lengthy posts, I find that they're a lot about the character, their experiences, feelings, memories and whatnot, and the hooks to reply to often aren't more numerous than I would find in a short post. If you want to be judgmental and negative, you could say these posts are written for the author themselves, to show how smart and emotional they are.

But we don't know, because people's reasons for roleplay differ and writing such lengthy insights into characters may be cathartic or therapeutic.

My point is, if we want to be negative, it's easy to judge both short and lengthy posts as either being not enough or too much effort, as being unenthusiastic or too self-centred. It mostly comes down to what your expectations are. If you expect your writing partner to return lengthy posts because that's what you enjoy, great. Communicate that if your partner isn't meeting your expectations.

I think we should normalise pulling out of threads because they aren't sparking joy or filling a need. So much resentment can be avoided if we're upfront and honest with each other, and accept that not all writers have a spark.

EDIT:
I realise I overlooked the question, which is "When is it too long?" Sorry, I have a short attention span.

Nonetheless, I think that depends on circumstances. A riveting post is easier to read than a meandering one. Proper formatting helps keep your focus too. If you stay to the point and the writing is sharp, I'll have an easier time focusing on your 3,000 word post. By contrast, if you meander and launch into poetic waxing, then your 500 word post could come off as many times longer than the 3,000 word one.
last edit on Nov 23, 2023 12:56:03 GMT by traveller
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
Outside of scene setting posts I think 500 is usually excessive. Many folks I see doing this are post splicing (having multiple conversations at once), redescribing what the other person is doing, or monologuing way too much.

I wish a holistic approach to threading was more normalized. Instead of "How can I make this post perfect" I wish people would spend more time trying to make it flow with their partner's posts better.
last edit on Nov 23, 2023 18:40:14 GMT by Sharp
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
I mostly agree with Traveller here.

Since I also tend to remove a lot when I edit posts, longer posts tend to be less effort for me because I put less work into editing them. It's really hard to judge how much "effort" someone put in a post from reading them alone sometimes, and it's not something I try to judge often -- but I can be a pretty lax person when it comes to RP overall, so yeah. I can understand the disappointment that can happen when someone replies with something short to something long, I have friends who feel the same, it's just not something that I feel personally.

This is definitely an RP subject that will always be...subjective, especially since we tend to have different tolerances for what is long and what drags on or not. Which is why I like threads like these, since I really enjoy knowing others' perspectives. As for my personal preference, I like long and short posts, and while I think I enjoy writing long posts the most, I don't mind writing short to medium ones either, it really depends on the thread overall.

I think the best solution is to clearly communicate expectations and ask your RP partners if they prefer length matching, long posts, short posts, if they don't mind lots of monologue and so forth. Sometimes you're just not compatible with someone's writing and that's perfectly fine. I think it can be surprising and fun just what styles can work together, but if you're just not meshing well, it does no harm to not RP with someone or talk to them about it and figure out a compromise.
last edit on Nov 23, 2023 23:42:12 GMT by Wraith
Catscape Meow!
pronounsThey/Them
13written posts
Warriors_Weaverearned bits
offlinecurrently
Warriors_Weaver
Warriors_Weaver Avatar
When I was younger and I ran a forum that had a constant flow of applications, I had to put in word limits because some people wrote extremely long apps and I didn't have the time or energy to read them on top of everything else I had to do.

Nowadays, I'm a much less picky app reader and my forum is new and doesn't have 5,000+ characters with more constantly coming in... so people can write as much as they want and I'm happy to read it!

On the writing side of it, occasionally I'll write a long app but most of mine are short because I much much much prefer discovering the character's personality, background, quirks, and interests through roleplay threads. I write apps lightly so I can fill in the details later and figure out what suits them. Oftentimes what I write in the app doesn't end up very accurately reflecting how I end up writing them in RP, because, well, things change!

90% of my RP posts are under 1,000 words, usually in the 300ish range, depending heavily on the genre. I don't mind reading or writing 1,000+ words, but I think it's generally easier to stay under that. Flows better.
pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
I think I'm in the same camp as Traveller and Wraith here. I've had to learn not to equate length to effort in roleplay. When I'm pressed for time, my posts tend to be longer. When I have time to give, I cut a lot more words. A lot of times, I write out my post and then I delete the first paragraph of whatever I wrote. Because it was just clearing my throat and getting started.

'Is the writing compelling,' is the better question. I don't mind reading monologuing about characters -- I often find it interesting! -- but it has to be written in a way where it's enjoyable to read, as opposed to feeling like skimming a grocery list or listening to a lecture.

Additionally, you need to have things people can respond to! Dialogue, actions, etc. A post that is just interiority is hard to respond to, no matter how beautifully written. I'm a very introspective writer and it's important to me that my character's motivations are understood by my writing partners, but I make a rule for myself that everything needs to have something grounded in the moment to go with it: a meaningful glance, or a phrase of dialogue that hits differently knowing the interior monologue, or maybe a shift in mood or unexpected action that is explained by the way the character reacts to the scene internally.

Lately my own posts skew 200-300 words ish on average, but they'll get longer if it's a big scene where there's a lot of action going on. 800+ feels like a lot for me personally, and my last post in that range was a pivotal event for my character with a lot of characters and responses to account for.
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
706written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
traveller, wraith, and scarlet have p much said everything for my take, honestly.

a lot of it boils down to what the content of the post / app / etc. is giving. maybe it's bc i'm a gal whose favorite ao3 tag is "character study" but i love introspective threads and debate threads for a reasonโ€”it lets you dig deep into a character, how they work, why they do, what they've gone through, and how they're still here. a good piece of writing advice i've gotten before (though it was for scriptwriting, rather than rp explicitly) was that in each scene, the involved characters must want something โ€” it provides direction, momentum, and an anchor. and i tend to treat my threads the same way (at least on my character's end), which usually leads to threads i enjoy since there's that feeling of movement and development. moreover, since it's rp, trying to provide hooks in your post is super helpful! some kind of action, a question, a special tool that'll be needed later, an npc, w/e else.

that doesn't mean lengthy = better or shorter = better, imo. by this point, i've threaded with a lot of people who provide different standard post & app lengths, and i can earnestly say that neither camp has one thing above the other. it rlly falls into what you've communicating and providing in the piece; posts that span 3000+ words can be genuinely riveting if they're digging deep into the character's psyche in a way that's just compelling. at the same time, posts that are shorter than 500 can feel legitimately impressive if they're offering something to work with. i've read long as hell posts that i breezed through because of the content, long posts that said a lot but gave very little, short posts that i found to be super helpful in moving the thread, short posts that were rlly insubstantial and gave me nothing to work with, etc. etc. 

if post length is rlly important then i think just... communicating that with your partner is invaluable, and will save everyone involved a lot of time / effort / energy / stress / worry. set boundaries and set expectations, because god knows no one knows what's actually going on in anyone's head. the only way to rlly figure that out is to just talk, yknow?

also i want to ++ this from what traveller said bc i learned to take this sentiment (both as the person receiving the Talk of that, and the person who has given the Talk of that) this year and by god, was that groundbreaking and gave me significantly less grief in the long run:

I think we should normalise pulling out of threads because they aren't sparking joy or filling a need. So much resentment can be avoided if we're upfront and honest with each other, and accept that not all writers have a spark.

coming soon.
aliasTin
24written posts
tinniearned bits
offlinecurrently
tinni
tinni Avatar
CEL Avatar
traveller, wraith, and scarlet have p much said everything for my take, honestly.

this x10000

i've never really had a problem with pulling out of threads, but that's mainly out of the fact that i've bitten more than i chew with how many threads i'm in, so people are more understanding that i'm an itty bitty idiot who took on WAAAAY too many threads for my sanity. i appreciate people that come to me and go "hey, i'm sorry but this isn't working out for me" than to straight up ignore our thread (which i will say is WAY worse than being honest imo).

so i agree, normalize this sentiment and NOT take it personal. like it's really not you, it's me :pensive: