write a reply

How many threads do you take on at a time?

pronounsshe/her
194written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
What the title says: how many threads do you take on at a time?

I've noticed people have vastly different approaches, and lately I've been cutting down my thread count so I can focus on several stories at a time.

For me personally, I start feeling like I have a 'lot' of threads when I'm juggling near 30. Lately I'm running closer to 15-20 at a time, which has felt much more sustainable. Any less though and I think I'd feel too slow for my taste.

What about you?
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,331written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
At least one thread with every person in the site hehe
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
Um. Usually 2-3 per character at a once but this new site I'm on is more linear so I'm comfortable with one per character at a time there. So it really depends on how many characters I have but I'd say usually north of 100? I have about 30 characters on one site (90ish threads) and currently 14 on the other but one is so brand new I haven't started him a thread yet so 13 there so yeah north of 100.

And both these sites are relatively new in my life I usually have 50-60 characters per site. So it can get to be north of 200 ...
last edit on Feb 14, 2024 11:18:22 GMT by rabbitears
aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
633written posts
offlinecurrently
๐š–๐š˜๐š›๐š’ Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.

i like to have at least one per character, but if the muse is particularly high, i am alright boosting that to at least three for specific ones.

i don't like to overwhelm myself because if i end up sitting on too many replies, i am going to be stuck in that trapped sort of feel where the weight is too heavy and all of the unwritten posts are suffocating me... and then i just don't reply at all (ehe...) so, ya.

i also don't like keeping my partners waiting super long for me, so i try to be reasonable about what i know i can handle and when.

aliasdee
pronounsShe/Her
24written posts
deenaearned bits
offlinecurrently
deena
deena Avatar
back when i was much younger, i was able to take on like 5-10 threads with ease the perks of having a lot of free time with not much other hobbies other than writing. but these days it's like 3-4. maybe 5-6 if i'm REAAAALLLLY super excited to play a character/if the plots are suepr intriguing enough to be 200% invested
pronounshe/him
882written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
more than i intend to or think iโ€™m in. since not everyone replies at the same time, i always feel like im in very few threads, when the reality is i could be in between 5-10 threads at once. in the past i really did have a million threads going on it felt like, but this was way back in the day before alerts and tag channels were a thing so it was easier to lose track of current, active threads. esp back in the days when it was one account-per-person and not per character.

Now serving!
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
i like to try doing 1 thread min. to 5 threads max. per character at a time. i'll have more if the extras are comm. threads or something quick and easy to reply to.

sometimes i'll be a goober and i'll tackle more for people if i'm really into threading with them / our plot(s).
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
730written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
usually i shoot for 2 to 4 threads per character, but if the character has a lot going on, i'll do 5. but 5 is pushing it for me considering i'm illiterate.

aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
391written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
I'm a terrible offender of simply having a pile of threads that build up like a mountain-- I do believe that I need to learn how to cut back and actually finish threads. I'll write as many threads as people want to give me, though. It feels like it would be smarter to have a thread limit, but yes I fall victim to I'd like to make it a goal to have a thread with every person on a site if I could help it.

...so the goal is more completed threads, but in practice, I'll thread with anyone who wants to thread with me and will never say no. Just please excuse that I'm not the fastest RPer out there, and it's getting worse with being a working professional.
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
174written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
My issue with having multiple threads, talking just...more than 1 admittedly, playing the same character is that I struggle handling liquid time, just how isolated do I wanna make this? do I give my characters memory almost as bad as mine in case of inconsistency? Added by the fact that I prefer to not plot threads out in detail, it can get easy for me to get wires a bit crossed. Big weakness of mine when it comes down to RP which is probably caused by the ol' being near-constantly tired and forgetful

But in practise, there really isnโ€™t a hard limit, it depends on the content and the direction of a thread, as long as I made a solid timeline, I can manage . I can deal with continuity confusion for the sake of having a good time writing with others, as while I donโ€™t tend to seek more threads with a character after one or two, if someone asks me, Iโ€™ll all for it. I like writing with all sorts of people, I just gotta keep caught up with my note-taking for most part and accept that RP isn't about being perfect anyways
Catscape Meow!
pronounsshe / her
398written posts
Ven โ˜†earned bits
offlinecurrently
Ven โ˜†
Summer '19 Bingo Completionist
Ven โ˜† Avatar
got a secret, can you keep it?
what is thread count I do not see that

Honestly, as many as I can. I just like writing.

donโ€™t get me started on ship threads, though, those tend to drive the counter extremely high into a number Iโ€™m not going to say anymore lol (which is hilarious considering that my writing partners only post like once or twice a week, however I always pelt back replies as soon as I get them so OOPS)