Thoughts on stats in a Roleplay?

aliasMatt
pronounsHe/Him
26written posts
mattwithaswordearned bits
offlinecurrently
mattwithasword
mattwithasword Avatar
Curious how people feel about the use of stats in a roleplay setting and thought I might get a general feel for what people tend to enjoy more. 

Hard Stats - Stats similar to what you would expect in a table top or video game scenario. Characters have health or energy pools, stat numbers determine what a character is typically better or worse at. I would also imagine this would lean heavily into some sort of rolling system, like D&D.

Soft Stats - Stats exists but are more used as a guideline. No health pools, no damage numbers, but a characters stats act more akin to bumper rails as far as what they would or would not be capable of. 

Statless - No stats at all. Outcomes are typically left between the writers, with setting specific character traits often dictating full character capabilities. 

Discord: Mattwithasword#1199
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
I do statless or soft stats - hard stats are generally a hard pass for me. Although that really depends on how they're presented ... but really I'd rather write collaboratively than fall back on stats to figure things out.
pronounsshe/her
97written posts
mellow♡earned bits
offlinecurrently
mellow♡
mellow♡ Avatar
i was just having this discussion the other day. i've really been enjoying the tabeltop i was playing, and it got me to thinking how much i really enjoy the random element of dice. can you imagine a game of d&d where players get to decide whether they succeed or fail at a task? it'd be no fun at all. the dice are a necessary component - not entirely to keep things "fair" - but also to add some surprise and critical thinking to the encounter.

to be honest, i love losing, and i love when my character is forced to think of another route to accomplish a goal, or have to deal with the consequences of failure altogether. it's a great opportunity for growth, and i gain a lot from it.

but i don't necessarily like deciding, "let's just say they fail." having the dice play a part in whether they succeed or fail adds a lot to the experience, but outside of a GM run tabletop, i like to have some say in what all that failure entails. by not throwing hitpoints on, i think it allows people to determine how the failure effects their character. losing hp feels more like salt in the wound than like something that contributes to the narrative.

it's definitely not for everyone. i know plenty of folks who bolt at the sight of numbers. but for me? i really do enjoy what rng brings to a scene.

voted for soft stats, but i feel like my ideal is somewhere between soft and hard. i like dice. i like stats. i don't like health points, energy pools, or cooldowns - most of the time. on the rare occasion, a cooldown adds to the tension of a thread, but it seems like something best reserved for BIG game-changing actions rather than every action having a timer of its own.

edit: after further thought, worth clarifying. it also depends very much on the site. sometimes stats really aren't necessary at all. i mostly find them helpful for combat or competitions.
last edit on Feb 26, 2024 1:20:16 GMT by mellow♡
aliasvale
pronounsthey/them, he/him
62written posts
valeearned bits
offlinecurrently
vale
vale Avatar
"Hmm... Are you comfortable talking to me, Itsuki?"
honestly, i think for me it mostly depends re: the size of the group playing. i think if you're on a private/semi-private site, or obvs in a smaller group setting (like ttrpgs ofc), i really like leaving more things up to a roll of the dice + properly integrating how stats will work into an rp. i like both soft and hard stats, and i think in a group of people who know how to balance their characters well (and offer a wide range of stats + opportunities to use them; not every character's gonna be able to lift 500 bricks, so it's fun to be able to tap into other skills during play that gives a wide variety of characters a time to shine.)

if it's a larger or public-facing site/rp situation, i'd almost always go for soft or no stats, though. i think whenever a site gets really stat-heavy, it ends up with a tendency to invite some people who prefer minmaxxing their character stats to really telling a story. we All know that guy who has, in fact, built his character to be able to lift 500 bricks and will not engage in plot unless it means he gets to show off his Brick Lifting Stat, nobody wants to try and carry out a long-term plot with fifty Brick Guys,
"hello, i'm nazuna nito, a member of ra*bits!"
art credit @ ryoko kui - dungeon meshi official art
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
254written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
I voted for statless, though I'd probably also be fine with soft stats. Statless requires a certain level of trust that people aren't going to try to out-powerplay each other. My qualms with soft stats are that it has the potential to 1) disadvantage latecomers if players can use site points to buy more stat points, and/or 2) end up with characters only getting to do a limited number of cool things based on what every thread participant's relative stat distribution is. (And you don't need stats to incorporate random outcomes, only a dice roller! Stats are only needed then if you want to have a consistent system to make certain characters more or less likely to succeed at a given action for the sake of "fairness" or "accuracy", but that raises problem 2) above. Maybe if failing spectacularly for the sake of telling a better story were encouraged by the site culture?)

Hard stats to me sounds like trying to play D&D over the internet, and the longer I RP and the more I get into indie RPGs, the more I realize I don't have the patience to number crunch combat and optimize stats, even when I'm playing with a small group of people who are ostensibly already my friends - I can't even imagine how mind-numbing it'd be with a huge group of people who aren't.
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
174written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
I’ve gravitated towards soft stats for a while. When done well, it can serve well to aid character development, or balancing in some scenarios, or just give ideas!! When I think of soft stats, I think of anything ranging from magic power levels to game relevant weaknesses and strengths. Magic power level systems were heavily ingrained in some of my early RP forums, so I still have a soft spot for them when they’re the only thing. I also like the “nobody is special and everyone is unique” approach.

Statless is good with me too. I generally trust people not to flippantly powerplay. As long as everyone’s on the same page and explanations make sense. I can see the problems that arise doing this, it’s some sword of creative freedom vs. accepting the possible conflict that can range from simple misunderstandings to intended maliciousness. So, I can understand the shift towards soft stats or some other kind of conflict resolution system. Even on sites without stats, I remember there being dedicated judges and reviews for any in-character fights, usually consisting of a combination of members and staff. Sometimes those judgments were anonymous.

Hard stats are usually a "maybe not" for me, unless they’re automatic in some way or there’s very few stats to track. Or if they're really, really good and inspiring to me. Generally, I don’t like the extra cognitive load of having to manage more minuscule number details in forum RP, such as a full stat sheet, especially since sometimes things are hard to define as a number alone. It can be a lot of management, so I usually only make one character.  I prefer when there’s options to adjust for older/more experienced characters, or to make characters weaker than the average.

Trade-offs and weaknesses in general can be fun in any system, if there's none or if there's only a select few I tend to make up my own as way of character dev. I have yet to be told by staff that I have added too many weaknesses to my characters, but I have decided to tone some down before submitting my character. This goes for strengths sometimes too, as I realize I'm underplaying my character because I don't wanna be that not-guy who tries to play an overpowered character. But people are pretty understanding, really. I don't think it's ever damning having to correct things, be it me or someone else, it's just part of the process.

If we’re talking dice rolls, or coin flips, those can work in any context, I don’t really bind the concept of them to the existence of a stat system. They’re fun. And I’m indecisive!!! So they help me decide what actually happens, even for mundane things. Adds spontaneity atop my already-preferred spontaneity. 
Catscape Meow!
aliasMisty
pronounsshe/her
14written posts
missmistyearned bits
offlinecurrently
missmisty
missmisty Avatar
I like stats if and when they make sense. For instance I'm on a site now with PVP combat where both characters generally want to win their fights and the outcomes of the fights have narrative implications for every character on the site. It just makes more sense to leave it up to hard numbers + dice rolls rather than putting the onus on the players to make these decisions. (Carl is equally unkind to all of us)