aliasLOVELORN, LL, LORN
pronounsSHE/HER
123written posts
lovelornearned bits
offlinecurrently
lovelorn
lovelorn Avatar
real winners quit
i think most people on pixel perfect have been rping for a while now, and i'm curious about what tips, tricks, & tidbits that you use in rp: not necessarily things that you would recommend everyone do (though it can totally do that), but things that you do to supplement your posting/help you with your character/etcetera. i'm really looking for anything from "i try to make all my characters have at least two hobbies" to "i color code my tracker by order of importance" or anything like that !!!

disclaimer: not really looking for the types of tips and tricks that are like "use a spellchecker" or "or "back up your writing so it doesn't all vanish if jcink/proboards decides to go down the second you click post". stuff more off the beaten path pls ... !!!!
aliasLOVELORN, LL, LORN
pronounsSHE/HER
123written posts
lovelornearned bits
offlinecurrently
lovelorn
lovelorn Avatar
real winners quit
for me, here's a few things i do/want to continue doing:

• i love love love the idea of relationship trackers and i love reading them even more but updating them is hell for me and i know i won't update it even if i promise myself i will, so instead i've circumvented this by making instead a list of characters that my character is close enough to be relevant to/for them to have an opinion of my character and then i go and i ask the rper for an IC sentence or two of their character's perspective on my character/their relationship with my character. this is way more succinct than having a paragraph describe their relationship to me and way more engaging than having just "they're friends that met since xyz"; it's also just fun to hear about outside perspectives of your character so just win-win-win.

• i try giving all of my characters a "thing" (and everyone starts booing because i talk about this in literally every 'character things' thread). basically just a shtick/trope/archetype that i try to lean into: like a verbal idiosyncrasy or a more like, anime-exaggerated "thing" that makes them larger than life and more memorable (like a propensity for tsundere-style violence, extreme long-windedness, a habit of making "people die when they are killed"-style one-liners etc.)

• naming conventions. i cannot lie i love rule of cool/funny names even when they give things away and i'm recently obsessed with giving my characters, ace attorney style names or just names that are alliterative or just "less realistic" in nature; stuff like naming a mysterious character "mi styrii" or giving a captain character the last name obvious. i think it's also generally helpful for plotting too if your character has a name that's interesting or memorable right off the bat w/getting people initially interested/clicking on your profile/etcetera !!!
aliasvale
pronounsthey/them, he/him
62written posts
valeearned bits
offlinecurrently
vale
vale Avatar
"Hmm... Are you comfortable talking to me, Itsuki?"
i think the main thing i've always relied on to differentiate my characters as their Own People and really establish them in my mind is to draw them separately from their face claim and/or imagine them with specific facial details that their face claim doesn't actually have... despite your drawing experience/skill level, parts of characters' appearances are going to suit their personality/lived experiences a lot of the time, from scars and how they accessorize. it helps me look at their profile images onsite and/or think of them in my head and go "oh! that's mycharacter lastname!" instead of thinking to their fc instead!

i also like marking relationship trackers with a level of trust out of 5 when i don't have time to write blurbs for every character mine's interacted with/when trackers get Really Long. sometimes it says a lot just to know how much a character is willing to trust another character with something important to them... from a 0 ("i would actively hide things from this character out of contempt") to a 5 ("i would share my most precious memories with this character")
"hello, i'm nazuna nito, a member of ra*bits!"
art credit @ ryoko kui - dungeon meshi official art
118written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
  • I like to use a larger font: I like to use the size tags to make my font slightly larger than usual when writing posts (as demonstrated here). I find it easier to read lengthy posts this way, and hopefully it helps other people as well. It may not be as aesthetically pleasing as some, but I like not having to squint and to be able to lean back in my chair as I read.

• I treat roleplaying like improv theatre: In both, the actors involved are playing a character and reacting to situations, sometimes unexpected ones. "Yes, and..." is one part of it: whatever the other proposes, introduces, or claims, you accept it as true and react accordingly. But also, it means fomenting trust with each other, so you're not nervous about "getting things right." People make mistakes, that's fine; roll with the punches and continue the story. 

That also means you want to introduce something new with each post so your partner can take it and run with it. This can be something your character says or does, but it can also be environmental elements; and please, trust each other to handle the environmental elements. Yes, sometimes even when it's your character's mother or whatever.

"But Traveller," I hear you say (I have good ears), "what if they make my character's mother behave completely uncharacteristically?"

"Well, my friend, then your character can remark on their mother's weird behaviour and maybe examine it, and a new plot opens up!" (Alternately: just because she acts off in one thread, doesn't mean she'll forevermore have to be off in other threads. It's OK to retcon once the thread is done to make sure your story is kept straight. For the sake of the thread, though, it's fine not to police each other too much, and it's fine to trust each other and work with what you get.)

last edit on Apr 1, 2024 19:12:29 GMT by traveller
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
aliasNova
pronounsShe/her
159written posts
Novaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Nova
Nova Avatar
I was filling this out and realized I’m a very character oriented rper. I usually don't plot super far ahead, which some people are into. But these are the tidbits I like to do

Character trivia questions - I love answering these types of questions because they can quickly tell who they are. I always try to answer them at least a little bit differently, or if they’re the same then different reasons as to why they would choose that answer. Like if I don’t know what my character would order at an ice cream truck, I don’t know them at all

Describe actions or surroundings - I try to always describe what my character’s wearing at least once, what they look like, the room they’re in, etc. It also helps by describing it from the character’s point of view, like what they would notice (my one character would point out the holes in the wall with disgust, my other character would see them as ways to escape)

What can I gain from this thread - this is how I don’t get bored with even simple threads. Maybe my character can gain a new friend, understanding, perspective, or maybe I just like annoying my own character. All threads are pieces that help mold them, and I like referencing them later down the line if I can
aliasFrosty
pronouns*shrugs*
164written posts
«Fr¤§t¥»earned bits
offlinecurrently
«Fr¤§t¥»
«Fr¤§t¥» Avatar
On my Devil May Cry shtick again
I try to make my characters feel more life like, as in they could be people if you squinted hard enough. I like doing that through describing micro actions they may do while talking, like for instance a character idly fidgeting with a straw in their drink while they're talking or listening to someone talk. Or the way their hands move when they're in a conversation, if their hands move at all.

I also typically "act out" a character scene at my desk, keeping my character's traits in mind, and do body movements like they would and talk with their mannerisms so that I have dialogue that feels more real. I also don't have my characters respond to every little line of text or action, Often times when I myself talk to someone, things get missed or overlooked or just kind of outright ignored/tuned out. So I also try and take that into consideration when it comes to playing my characters as well. Even if they're 'super/hyper observant' because 'super/hyper observant' doesn't mean they see or react to every little detail.

Speaking of, I like to have my characters each speak differently from one another. Even if they're related they all have their own way to say something. For instance, I have three characters, (A mother, Father, and Son) and the way they say something simple like; 'Either Way.' is completely different from one another. Like the son may say; "Yeah whatever." The mother might say "Either Way" and the father may say; "Regardless." But they all say the same thing different. It makes each character feel unique and also makes roleplaying out miscommunications much easier. 
pronounsshe/hers
71written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
let's see...

• convictions i.e a firmly held belief, opinion, purpose or values that encapsulates my character: this can range from political, religious opinions/beliefs to something more superficial or familial. some examples of this are: if my character is spiritual/faithful, they are going to perceive/interact with the world through those lens/beliefs and hold true; if my character's whole world is the love of someone else, they are going to move heaven and earth to make sure the world is safe for/accepts them.

• challenges especially ones that are too grandiose if not truly impossible, which lends into ambition, even if i'm hesitant to call my characters as such; they are typically not ambitious, at least not overtly, but can be in a very surreptitious, slow-moving manner. examples of challenges could be something feudal and simple as like... conquering ur enemy's territory or stealing ur enemy's tithe. could even be the subversive version, like conquering ur enemy through idk the sheer, indomitable power of love LMFAO

there's also the internal, like if my character's beliefs are being challenged, which lends to inner conflict, self-reflection, going on a spiritual journey, etc etc.

• exposition as like steadily relaying background information like breadcrumbs that leads to the foundation of my character. doesn't have to be just my character, it could be information that leads to the foundation of a relationship with someone else (whether longstanding, or they met like... the other day), setting, event, or other element of my char's narrative.

if my character is sheltered, then those who engage with them will learn that my char has never left their home, nor had any adventures outside of it, and may be a bit bigoted. if my character is religious, then those who engage with them will learn that my char firmly believes themself to be divinely protected by the universe, and should they die, it'll be the greatest sacrifice brought to the eternal banquet. :-*
last edit on Apr 3, 2024 15:22:16 GMT by irene
aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
207written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
  • Character Growth - Something I like to focus on deeply with a character is how much they might grow as a person. As we all know, people grow and change their ideals over time and maybe, through roleplaying the character and getting more comfortable with them, you set your self into a path that is allowed to be diverged off of. That part is important to me because, even if my character doesn't have trauma I would like to see them work through, its interesting to see a character blossom and grow from what they were in the beginning. This helps me personally determine whether or not I can continue to play a character, especially if I grow bored or begin to lose muse at all. Do they have a future or will they stay stagnant?

• Switch up your writing style! - Not only does this keep things interesting and fun but it helps you explore different ways to write. Are you normally the type to wait for someone else to move along the plot in a thread? Take charge! Are you the type to describe the background and have your character speak normally? Describe their thoughts instead! Do the opposite of what you normally do, look up new words and experiment.