Threads: Hoard or not?

aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
207written posts
Solaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
Genuinely curious if people prefer to hoard their threads to feel a sense of completion when they post them all at once, or would rather post them as they go.

Here's my thinking.
I've met some roleplayers who are very fast when it comes to responding. And sometimes I just want to feel like I have nothing left to do on a character, it gives me a sense of satisfaction I can't describe, but it makes me proud. Sometimes when I post as I go, people respond as I'm going and it just means there's more to do and I never reach that feeling. So on occasion, I instead hoard my replies and post them all on the same day at a later point.

So what do you prefer to do?

last edit on Apr 14, 2024 21:44:00 GMT by Sola
aliasclock
pronounsShe/Her
25written posts
clockearned bits
offlinecurrently
clock
clock Avatar
I try to post all at once, just to get it off my chest if all the threads I'm in have been replied to. Keyword: try. XD I feel more organized and freer knowing every post that needed to be owed was owed all at once. Admittedly, there have been threads I was lowkey more invested in, which had a slight higher priority in. I found that hoarding made me more focused compared to doing it as I go, but I feel in my case it tends to depend on how fast a person posts AND how long their post is.

That said, this made me reflect on just how much threads I've bit off more than I could chew, which could make hoarding a lot more draining than expected, so I tend not to take on too many threads no matter how badly I wanted to plot with someone just to avoid burning myself out.
pronounsshe/her
179written posts
hellsyearned bits
offlinecurrently
hellsy
hellsy Avatar
Why do we sleep where we want to hide?
I usually post as I go, I don't always have the will power to hold back especially if I am really hyped about a thread. But occasionally when I'm drowning in replies and I feel like I can't catch up to a point where I feel okay with the backlog, I'll hold them and reply at once so at least I have 1 second to breathe. 
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,793written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
I rarely hoard posts - but I can and will if someone requests it of me. For example, i can bang out replies in 10-20 minutes at the most. However, some people can only post weekly - so I keep them in a sticky note on the side and have reminders to post them- let's say on the weekends for that person. I really want to make sure I'm flexible. Some people use the weekends to post, so I post for them during the week - so that way they have them. Otherwise, unless I have a want ad or obligation, I tend to just reply as they come in.

pronounsshe/her
13written posts
safiearned bits
offlinecurrently
safi
safi Avatar
god is in his heaven; all is right with the world

chronic thread hoarder here :salute:

personally if i have a good tracker and spread my threads out with my characters i have no problems with keeping on top of my threads with a week approx turnaround. some threads get more attention bc they hold my brain in their hands. i think as well having more threads helps me to keep my momentum as long pauses in posting can really hurt my motivation and i've realized that i always need to feel like im a little behind on my posting to really get going and knock out as many as i want.

i think having more threads also covers for partners differing posting speeds, since naturally if i work from oldest > newest i can fall in line with faster posters once my slower threads are out of the way. having the "week" deadline (that i never stick to, but most of the time get nearish) also helps. i will 100% leave someone on owed though if i can't whip up a decent reply bc in my head a bad response is worse than a good response that takes a lot of time to get to you and i like to give my partner the best post that i can give em out of politeness.

last edit on Apr 15, 2024 17:42:22 GMT by safi
aliasFrosty
pronouns*shrugs*
164written posts
offlinecurrently
On my Devil May Cry shtick again
I'm similar to Neko in that I can post fairly quickly and it's actually super rare or very contingent on me posting slowly. But for myself I typically will try and post as I go. Because having too many replies built up just results in being beaten up by the adhd monster to where I feel overwhelmed and stop responding to all of the my threads. Even the one's I really enjoy stop getting responded to because I always end up feeling overwhelmed that I have too many threads to reply to if I hoard them / let them build up.

Small side note; this is also why typically I limit the amount of characters I have to say one or two, with the max I can run typically being three. It helps relieve that potential for things to build up and being smacked with feeling of things overwhelming me. 
119written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
I'm always excited to post, so I do it as soon as possible. There's nothing quite like advancing a thread by seven posts on a good day.

Since I'm quickly distracted, I'd probably lose interest if I didn't reply to threads whenever I can; once something's moved out of active memory, I'm chasing the next high. Thankfully in roleplay, that only happens when people need 2+ weeks to post replies, which hasn't been all that often.
last edit on Apr 15, 2024 18:09:36 GMT by traveller
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
I used to be a mix of both depending on tge season but relying asap has been healthier and nicer feel. And natural?

It depends on my rp partner too + thread. I dont feel guilty focusing on select threads first before others. I knwo this might be controversial, but i dont think itโ€™s a personโ€™s problem if an rp partner reacts negatively to that. It doesnt mean i dont like them or anything. Imo ppl need to be more self-aware of their feelings of jealous/resentment. I sound arrogant lmao but i do mean that as a good advice. Sometimes ppl are more in the mood for something, and just be happy for them. You do your own thing too. You canโ€™t control other people, and worrying over how others react is exhausting

Anyway! Basically,,, i reply fast. Sometimes faster than usual if itโ€™s a thread im really vibing or weโ€™re rapidfiring. I do this too to threads that have found its development spot and going to the finish line so i can progress the next batch next
pronounsshe, her
201written posts
offlinecurrently
clefairy ๐ŸŒ™
clefairy ๐ŸŒ™ Avatar
I think I'm a mixed. Some threads I have an easier time replying to be it because of my partner's length/style, the character, or the plot (threads where there's significant development tends to get me going). So often I'll reply to those quickly.

That being said, I'd hate to hyper-focus on one thread or partner over others because I've been on the receiving end before. So I try my best to alternate between the thread I'm hyped about and others that need to be done (usually by dates, I use the alert system as a checklist). So it can come out as replying one by one or replying to multiple at the time LOL.
pronounsshe/her
53written posts
merriearned bits
offlinecurrently
merri
merri Avatar
I will write posts as I receive them. I always liked having the alerts on jcink no longer marked as "new" or notification for an @ in the post tag channel. On rare occasions, I'll have multiple replies waiting for me to reply to (and typically because those people all replied on the same day) and I'll do them all in one sitting before mass sending them out, one tag at a time because sometimes your girl will get put on posting cooldown.

last edit on Apr 15, 2024 23:45:06 GMT by merri
aliasmori, manon, saki
pronounsshe / her
633written posts
offlinecurrently
๐š–๐š˜๐š›๐š’ Avatar
i know you see yourself as a fighter. well, i see myself as one, too.

the way that i reply generally relies on how much inspo i have for the thread/how much the juices are flowing and how much free time i actually have. if i am totally free (or avoiding responsibilities), i like to reply as soon as i get a tag. some threads really just have me kicking my feeties, giggling on my bed, rolling around, etc. so less of a sense of accomplishment there, and more sheer selfishness for wanting more.

if i'm not able, i let them pile up for a bit and then just wipe them out all together. that helps clear up the mental slate and takes off the stress of shit needing to get done. i don't like the hobby feeling like a chore, but tbh... if i bite off more than i can chew, it sometimes does. so, i've been trying to keep it to a level where, even if i do have to sit on a hoard, i won't feel awful 'cause it's not actually that much.

aliasvale
pronounsthey/them, he/him
62written posts
valeearned bits
offlinecurrently
vale
vale Avatar
"Hmm... Are you comfortable talking to me, Itsuki?"
i generally will try to reply as i've gotten them, but as i've gotten more busy with upcoming grad + moving stuff, it's been hard to keep up with stuff immediately... ;w; so i tend to do a big heap of replies every 2-3 days at night, since that's when i'm less busy! i don't think i prefer to hoard threadsโ€” if i could reply asap, i wouldโ€” but, man, it's tough to get to everything within a day

i'm trying to be more courteous about replying on time, though, esp. with my 'main'/more active character... i think it's generally good practice to reply once a week/once every two weeks without further notice, since i think it tells people you're interested in their character + your thread

"hello, i'm nazuna nito, a member of ra*bits!"
art credit @ ryoko kui - dungeon meshi official art
pronounsshe/her
34written posts
margaritaearned bits
offlinecurrently
margarita
margarita Avatar
depends on the day. Sundays are best for posting in general, especially since i have close friends i hang out with on that day who are also rp friends and there's nothing better than a bad movie to keep my motivation up! Sundays are great for one by one through the list. if i have multiple threads on the go, i do sometimes like to clear my list all at once, so i can focus on something else for a bit (or just wander away). if i have time at lunch, or between the end of work and supper time, i'll pop out one or two replies and then come back to the rest (and new additions) the next time I can.

so yes to both? you'll get a reply out of me, one way or another.