write a reply

Post a Random Thought

pronounsD A R K
273written posts
offlinecurrently
Death is just a new beginning.
M A E ! Avatar
i srsly cannot stop feeling nauseous from just sheer anxiety these days
Feeling nauseous from anxiety is pretty serious, not sure if you can afford it or not but please take some days to yourself to recuperate. My best friend goes through this too and it's pretty brutal. Feel better soon...
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/her or any pronouns
812written posts
bexearned bits
offlinecurrently
bex
Part of the Furniture
bex Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
Salmon Avatar
Wondering if I should just scrap Neo and scoot it over to jcink 😔
Jcink supremacy tbh. Especially with how shite v6 is going to be, it might be worth your time to do so.
sdkvnklweanl;
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
onlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
dark balls of sight Avatar
maybe wallace being my fav was foreshadowing
bex Avatar
Salmon Avatar
Jcink supremacy tbh. Especially with how shite v6 is going to be, it might be worth your time to do so.
pixelperfect.jcink.net soon?

【 POKEMON EVOLUTION: TERRORS 】
(latest update: 8/28 wall of update)
aliasnightbloom, bloom
pronounsShe/Her
703written posts
peachearned bits
offlinecurrently
peach
Part of the Furniture
peach Avatar
so it goes.
bex Avatar
Salmon Avatar

I thought v6 was donezo?
frog on the floor
aliasfreiheit, microwaved burrito
pronounsany
1,539written posts
pharaoh leapearned bits
offlinecurrently
pharaoh leap
Administrator
pharaoh leap Avatar
i've been having some pretty dark thoughts.
bex Avatar

over my dead body.

But also, Middy is correct, V6 is cancelled for the foreseeable future, which means it's time for Proboards RPs to rise up again without fear for the future. 😤
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
onlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
pharaoh leap Avatar
over my dead body.

But also, Middy is correct, V6 is cancelled for the foreseeable future, which means it's time for Proboards RPs to rise up again without fear for the future. 😤
heck yeah big pp boards

edit: immediately got the bear after i said that
last edit on Sept 29, 2023 22:21:11 GMT by dark balls of sight

phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
in all honesty, i really wish animanga had a solid jcink resource site, if only because it's a really awkward spot being an animanga jcinker. you're always having to pick whether you're advertising cross-platform (to post things on pixel) or cross-medium (to advertise them on the bigger jcink sites) and the coding resources are even slimmer since most of the codes here are for pb (which makes sense, it is a resource site hosted on pb) and most of the codes on jcink resources have p different aesthetic styles than animanga typically goes for.

like. don't get me wrong, there are some features on pb that i do like for a resource community (like the block feature or multi-user pms), but it's definitely not a fun situation having a foot in both worlds and struggling to make good headway in either because of that fact
last edit on Sept 29, 2023 22:46:15 GMT by Kuroya

sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
onlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
i'm not in any pb site. i don't use the resources here, but i would love to release more jcink codes (sicne that's what i do) if i didn't have to do previews. it's a small thing but it's still an inconveniece. which makes me wonder if we can just make an iconic and have a jcink platform be linked for posting jcink templates

imo if rl rpers think that way instead of checking out the forum themselves, that's on them. are they really lost member potential? if they really wanna rp, they'd get over the perception themselves

aliasnightbloom, bloom
pronounsShe/Her
703written posts
peachearned bits
offlinecurrently
peach
Part of the Furniture
peach Avatar
so it goes.
PB still holds a a place in my head and I really wanna make one last site on it but no one really offers commissions for PB. ;-; If anyone does, pls hmu I'd love to collaborate, I have some ideas...
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/her or any pronouns
812written posts
bexearned bits
offlinecurrently
bex
Part of the Furniture
bex Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
as someone who is also exclusively on jcink for rp, it does suck that there isn't a resource site. cough please someone do this already cough
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,368written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
imo if rl rpers think that way instead of checking out the forum themselves, that's on them. are they really lost member potential? if they really wanna rp, they'd get over the perception themselves

i edited this out of my op because i didn't wanna wade too deep into discourse (and still don't) but.

from a more intellectual standpoint, forum-based rping is a "dying" hobby because the memberbase is shrinking faster than it's growing. from a purely idealistic standpoint, i think we're stronger together under that banner than we are to subdivide into smaller communities + turn on each other... but if you wanna take a practical standpoint, in my experience, it's a lot easier for people to go cross-medium (like rl to animanga) or cross-host (like jcink to pb) than it is to go cross-medium (like discord to jcink).

from a more personal one, while there will always be a certain number of people who will automatically dismiss animanga out of hand for being younger just because it uses illustrated fcs, the same way that a lot of western culture dismisses animation as lesser because much it's a popular medium for children's content, i don't think it does us any favors to repay the favor in kind by largely writing off the outside community in turn, if only because it's then making it more difficult to make any headway in presenting cases to the wider community for them to change their minds about those preconceived notions.

but i guess that's all just my two cents from the general viewpoint of an idealistic "forum rpers stronger together" vs a pragmatic "it's a lot easier to catch a fish when you're not working with bad bait"
last edit on Sept 30, 2023 0:02:59 GMT by Kuroya

internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,833written posts
Nekoearned bits
offlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
Kuroya Avatar
i edited this out of my op because i didn't wanna wade too deep into discourse (and still don't) but.

from a more intellectual standpoint, forum-based rping is a "dying" hobby because the memberbase is shrinking faster than it's growing. from a purely idealistic standpoint, i think we're stronger together under that banner than we are to subdivide into smaller communities + turn on each other... but if you wanna take a practical standpoint, in my experience, it's a lot easier for people to go cross-medium (like rl to animanga) or cross-host (like jcink to pb) than it is to go cross-medium (like discord to jcink).

from a more personal one, while there will always be a certain number of people who will automatically dismiss animanga out of hand for being younger just because it uses illustrated fcs, the same way that a lot of western culture dismisses animation as lesser because much it's a popular medium for children's content, i don't think it does us any favors to repay the favor in kind by largely writing off the outside community in turn, if only because it's then making it more difficult to make any headway in presenting cases to the wider community for them to change their minds about those preconceived notions.

but i guess that's all just my two cents from the general viewpoint of an idealistic "forum rpers stronger together" vs a pragmatic "it's a lot easier to catch a fish when you're not working with bad bait"

Personally this is a very idealistic take and doesn't take in account to people are going to do what they want to. You had mentioned 'animanga jcink user in the wild' and how weird that was. Why is that weird? Most of us are cross platform. Most of us work on both pb and jcink. It's the same audience. We are together, it just sounds more like people want everything to move to one or another. It's dying because the natural decline of focus, the will to be apart of a community, and the hate and bitterness towards the concept. I have given people multiple opportunities with different groups to have a jcink animanga board. No one wants to. No one completes it. I have an almost done concept right now that needs and updated skin but otherwise it's just filling out boards. Every single time, no one makes that leap since we already have Pixel. It may be a hassle to show previews, sure, but that's the only think jcink directly has over pb.

While sure, you might be thinking of animanga as a business and you can recruit people who might be interested but that's it. They're not interested. I have seen you speak on this before and I don't really feel the need to comment as your views are valid but I can tell you as someone who has been staff on jcink resource sites as well, the audience outside of animanga doesn't care. I don't think we can make headway because we're not changing the fact that we're middle aged and senior people just writing. I think it's very idealistic to think that there's a market we can break into. I can message you dozens of screenshots asking us why we don't have a discord section for rp. People are not 'not' welcoming in the community. The fact of the matter is, no one wants to join the community rl or animanga simply cause forum rp is dying because expectations and timesink. Can anyone point to a reason that a general board needs to be on one host or another that isn't having doHTML? I can't think of a single one really. There's a reason that resource sites in general are sinking.

When's the last time anyone who can code added a resource? When is the last time that they put a board mod out there? This is hard work and we don't see much trading and community. Whether or not you want to - this market you're talking about is people and community and I don't think treating it as a market is going to do anything, as economical as I am. tl:dr rp people are not a business market and while posting a resource can be slightly inconvenient, we live in the day of pastebin, codepen, and screenshots.

In other news, so we can drum up some of the resources here, join the contest I'm going to spam. Get free funny money .
last edit on Sept 30, 2023 0:53:51 GMT by Neko
sdkvnklweanl;
pronounsshe/her
1,562written posts
onlinecurrently
dark balls of sight
Part of the Furniture
Neko Avatar
Personally this is a very idealistic take and doesn't take in account to people are going to do what they want to. You had mentioned 'animanga jcink user in the wild' and how weird that was. Why is that weird? Most of us are cross platform. Most of us work on both pb and jcink. It's the same audience. We are together, it just sounds more like people want everything to move to one or another. It's dying because the natural decline of focus, the will to be apart of a community, and the hate and bitterness towards the concept. I have given people multiple opportunities with different groups to have a jcink animanga board. No one wants to. No one completes it. I have an almost done concept right now that needs and updated skin but otherwise it's just filling out boards. Every single time, no one makes that leap since we already have Pixel. It may be a hassle to show previews, sure, but that's the only think jcink directly has over pb.

well i didn't know we wanted ot do an animanga jcink for realsies!! hmu if you're still down? but maybe in a week. my dog's been confined a few days ago so i can only really commit once i know he's 100% fine. (he's improving and no complications but still i'm gonna wait)

but as for the subject itself, a hobby isn't something we can make an organized effort to encourage without any resources (as in, real money and people being paid for it.) it dies when it dies. it comes back when it comes back. we rely on things we can't predict, based on small ripples we can't fathom to comprehend. i've seen rping trends follow one another, having been in quite a number of big sites and comms. when there's a successful site, others will do more like it. if there is't success, people will lose interest. you might say the popularity we're trying to curate is needed for its success, but nah. success in rp site is luck in managing to gather the right people, at the right time. a structure to make that more consistent can't be done with people just doing this in their free time.

tho i'm just chilling around and somehow there are still people younger than me?? so people are still rping imo doesn't really matter if there's more or less. just happy to have someone to write with lmao

EDIT: no please don't look at the empty quote i don't know how to proboards
last edit on Sept 30, 2023 1:24:47 GMT by dark balls of sight

write a reply

QUICK REPLY

WRITE YOUR POST DOWN BELOW