pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
i hate cliches.

no, not everything has to be unique or special or complicated. cliche isn't simple. simple is good when executed right.

but i hate playing right into the textbook of what people see. for example, how i ended up playing wallace from pokemon. way back in 2009 or something, he was just the funny gay man and i didn't like that it was kind of homophobic with how appearances determine preferences. so that's basically why i picked him in one pokemon site (and barely played him until the next one). i like misidirection, yet rather than contradicting what's expected, i like giving new meaning to it instead. a new perspective.

i do sometimes feel like people are a bit confused with how i do things becaues of this. it does kind of make me sad but that's inevitable, i suppose! people have different tastes. i'm not after being different. i just really don't like it when people judge by appearance hehe. and this goes beyond literal appearance, but also how characters portray themselves on the outside. 

i also don't like rping "trauma threads" like - its whole purpose is trauma. it just feels...so scripted. like, "haha let's throw them into a nightmare!" and i'm like ughhhh what's the fun in that if we're expecting it lmao. 

so what don't you like to rp? naturally, no one would want to rp subjects they don't like. so this is more of preference, not level of comfort. though hey, if you wanna mention that if it feels relevant, go ahead!
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
scarlet Avatar
I find myself getting increasingly bored with slice-of-life, fluffy romance, endgame plots. I can't do it without some drama spicing things up.

I get bored. I don't know what that says about me as a person, but here we are.

I think tharโ€™s a pretty common sentiment. I know a lot of people who are tired for the same SOL song. Though I think people just arenโ€™t exploring the right SOL subjects for their characters. Sharing a table and getting to know someone over a meal isnโ€™t fun. How about running into a carabao cart instead! Ordinary things do not have to be common. They are many of them that we simply do not think about.

I am not saying this at u btw. I just have strong thoughts about SOL as someone who has been through that kind of thinking. IC conflict is amazing but it will feel meaningless when you lack the ordinary experiences of living.

(Also this doesnt include romance. I am not a fan of endgame romances either lol. Still can be fun for sure but still has to be pure organic dev for me)
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
173written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
School...

Maybe one day Iโ€™ll stumble upon an RP that makes me actually like โ€œour characters are in some sort of educational setting where we have to do classes and we'll write them being in class etc etcโ€ but well, thereโ€™s a reason why I tend to skip over the majority of school stuff whenever I write anything, if it exists at all, even stuff thatโ€™s not RP. It can be made interesting but I, admittedly, have to be convinced...
Catscape Meow!
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
525written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
combat.

i've been on so many shounen sites where people liked writing combat and i enjoyed it in drips and drabs. esp pve moments.

but 90% of the time it was playing 5d chess word games and trying to find loopholes in how someone else wrote something so you can win or to prevent losing within 2 turns. even w. stats or pseudo stats, it seldom changed.

girl, i just worked my 9 to 5 i don't want to think about what i write that hard. :weary:
pronounshe/him
29written posts
crunchearned bits
offlinecurrently
crunch
crunch Avatar
romance

no super dramatic or personal experience reason, i just suck ass at it lmao. not even mentioning smut, i've never been a particularly romantic person and any attempt i've made to write it has come across as super cheesy and unpalatable for everyone, like im forcing it or their forcing it and really just an all-around cringe fail experience. every character i write ends up being dudes that are thoroughly uninterested in romance either because they don't have time for it, or they're just plain not attracted to anyone like that, or they're afraid of such attachments for one reason or another. i do like relationships, don't get me wrong, platonic, familial, the bonds between friends and bros hell yeah, but the simple act of having a character say "i love you" in a romantic way is so foreign to me.

i know people love very passionate intricate romance plots too and i don't wanna disappoint them with my george lucas headass dialogue. 
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
725written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
onlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
Anything that involves stats. If I have to do math, it sucks all the fun out of it for me. And before anyone says, โ€œoh dice rolls will do it for you!โ€ No, thatโ€™s not the point. Frankly, I heavily dislike the narrative being shifted based on an arbitrary number, and I not having any control over it. Iโ€™ve had this discussion with my good friend many times, who canโ€™t do forum rp, but almost exclusively DMs, and he feels the opposite. He likes the surprise that the rolls bring. And I get that, but I like being able to control the story and whatโ€™s happening.

pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar
i mulled this and thought "i don't like combat rp" but that's just not true. combat is a great exploration of differing characterization, narrative stakes, and personal development. i think the problem is that people are not honest about how okay they are about losing. you HAVE to be okay with losing in order to write combat organically but once someone's pressed against the edge, i find that people start bending IC logic to their favor. this happens in other types of threads too, but i think combat losses tend to be the most intolerable among certain types of rpers. which sucks because it just puts off people who otherwise would be really good at combat.

+1 on stats. i'm fine with them if mods do all the numbers for me but nobody has time to do that for an entire site lol
241written posts
The Lawearned bits
offlinecurrently
The Law
The Law Avatar
To build on what others have said about RPing combat... I think problems arise when RPers view IC combat as a contest or challenge that they need to beat, rather than simply a narrative device that serves to move the plot.

Thread tax: I find myself getting less and less fond of RPing superpowers that call for using hard numbers to quantify the magnitude of a character's abilities. I feel that quantifying attacks with hard numbers is one of the key things that make RPers feel backed into a corner when writing battles.

I prefer more allegorical descriptors like "medium damage" or "heavy damage", and let my partners decide for themselves what constitutes their character taking "medium damage". On the other hand, if I write my character's attacks hitting with the force of one ton of TNT, I can't blame the other party for feeling backed into a corner because they will perceive it as a "sure kill" on their character, and thus would bend IC logic to avoid what they believe would be their character's death.
540written posts
Sharpearned bits
offlinecurrently
Sharp
Part of the Furniture
Sharp Avatar
I like big fonts and I cannot lie
I don't like threads that aren't really about anything. This happens on the shounen forums I frequent just as much as it does in slice of life. Give me action, romance, mystery, comdey gold, etc. I don't want to just vibe and eat spaghetti with your Genshin FC please.
last edit on Oct 20, 2023 3:27:20 GMT by Sharp
no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
171written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
1. state craft. so rp'ing like...taxation and the nitty gritty of running things. 
it's fun in ck3 but i don't want to write it out or discuss it at length tbh i'd rather it be hand-waved

2. really intensely introspective threads/conflicts that could ultimately be solved through therapy or a good heart-to-heart. the former's because my writing style doesn't lend to it well & the latter's because uh...i don't know. but i've always hated that trope where someone overhears a conversation & misinterprets it and instead of asking any party involved about it they angst for a million chapters so maybe it's related to that
last edit on Oct 20, 2023 5:17:05 GMT by ace.
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
202written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
I'll parrot what everyone else is saying about slice-of-life threads that go nowhere. Not every thread needs to be high-octane action, but even SOL needs to have a purpose and not be a nothingburger.

Personally, I'll add smut to my list. This is coming from someone who did smut extensively in the past. Now I look at most of those older threads and cringe at my own writing. Fanservice is fine though, especially if it's played for laughs.
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,789written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
onlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
Does not publicly count? I personally donโ€™t like RPing smut in a public setting. I am very selective who I will write smut with and will only ever write it somewhere private. While this may not be apparent in forums, canโ€™t say I would know, I have heard from Tumblr RPers there are people who fixate on writing that. I struggle to say no. I donโ€™t want to end up having 50 smut threads without anything else being evident in that relationship.
aliasSola
pronounsthey/he
205written posts
Solaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Sola
Sola Avatar
Tell me which you dread more ; the echo or the answer?
Piggy backing on the slice of life threads that go nowhere. If I'm going to have my two characters going on a mundane date I'm going to have something happen in the middle of it. Like maybe they get into argument over something small and they end up laughing about it. I just don't do well with slice of life threads that go nowhere and don't have any sort of development for the character.
aliasfee-fee
pronounsshe/her
29written posts
offlinecurrently

I've never really been a big fan of shounen-esque sites. I love magical girl sites and like to have violence and conflict as much as the next writer to spice things up, but too much or excessive combat just gets over-done and boring after a while. I don't like gore or explicit stuff either, and some of these sites are filled with content like that.

I'm also not a fan of any site that has heavy mechanics. If it going to take me 400+years and a whole lot of work to get that one pokemon I really want from my character from a mod thread or to get my character to be stronger in their abilities, I'm most likely going to skip over your site. Playing DND is enough for me, and I don't want to have to jump through hoops in a hobby that is mostly focused on collaborative writing, passion, muse, and motivation. Like someone said before, intense and extensive mechanics just suck the fun right out of it.

I'm probably the exception to the norm here, because I love slice of life threads, because the purpose of most sol threads is characterization and/or drama or just pure fun, or they usually have a rhyme or reason, and some sort of development towards the character -- though I find myself not being able to do just slice of life. I love writing about magic in a mundane world or something that has abilities, curses, reincarnations, or personifications in everyday life, and I can often come up with plots and characters based around a combination of these things, based on what the site is about -- like, currently, I run a sol site that revolves around object personifications and characters that possess slight abilities, with a small stream of "magic" flowing through the world and a back-drop of "where is the goddess?" on-site. But, if your site is just set in a city or a small town with nothing else to keep it together or no other allure, like a slice of life rp set in Tokyo, I find it hard keep my threads going and my muse alive because after the first couple of threads, it all just seems monotonous. I kind of feel the same way about high school/academy roleplays, if only because I think you can only do so much within that setting and, personally, it's very limiting to me.

last edit on Oct 22, 2023 14:09:47 GMT by โ coffee & tea