kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,332written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
irene Avatar
๐Ÿ’– โ‡๏ธ baa ~ dumm! โ‡๏ธ ๐Ÿ’– Avatar
I have no idea how you see chatgpt the same as ai art. Nor do i even know that rpc had a stand about chatgpt lol. The posts iโ€™ve seen of people rping with chatgpt looked like very lonely folks who are getting too deep into something they know is wrong.
Both ChatGPT and AI art depend on the simulation of human intelligence processed by machines. [img alt=":-[" class="smile" src="//storage.proboards.com/forum/images/smiley/embarrassed.png"] Legitimizing one sets the precedent for another.

I know theyโ€™re both using human input to learn. But i still donโ€™t get how they can be on the same level, especially for rping.

RPing is mostly writing, and graphics is just a vanity part of it. You have the option to look for art. It doesnโ€™t have to be great. If it bothers you, you can spend the bare minimum of hunting art, leaving likes, until you find what you like. Or, if it really matters to you: commission an artist. There is no sort of push whatsoever that should encourage you to use ai art.

For chatgpt, like i said, i didnโ€™t even know it was an issue in rpc. Iโ€™m not sure how you took my comment because i was genuinely wondering what the rpcโ€™s beef with chatgpt is all about.
aliasTin
24written posts
tinniearned bits
offlinecurrently
tinni
tinni Avatar
great to come back to being villainized for having a different take on ai generated pics lol.

i'm not going to try and argue any further and shit on me all you want, but i still stand on my point: i use ai if i can't find a suitable fc for the character i want while i have no obvious intentions of making a profit off of it.
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,332written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
tinni Avatar
great to come back to being villainized for having a different take on ai generated pics lol.

i'm not going to try and argue any further and shit on me all you want, but i still stand on my point: i use ai if i can't find a suitable fc for the character i want while i have no obvious intentions of making a profit off of it.

As long as you leave an artist credit, itโ€™s all good :)
pronounsHe/Him/His
1,094written posts
lightearned bits
offlinecurrently
light
Part of the Furniture
light Avatar
porsef Avatar
i don't think anyone should be attacked or potentially ostracized over using ai... for face claims or otherwise. that's scary to see in the world over most differing opinions and a bit extreme to say in my opinion...

like... yeah, i don't support it in being used to source from people's artistic or literary works without their conscious contribution or consent either. but i believe the more constructive way for us as a community to advocate for our feelings is to try and educate each other so our peers can make more informed decisions. even if some of our peers don't heed the information, we should just move on and hope that one day they may share the same feelings with the information we provided.

i think it's a good thing that people are so passionately against creative theft and plagerism.

but (and a big one at that)... unless you're sourcing the images for your graphics from free license sources or purchasing the rights to use said images, i think what most of us already do falls under a similar ethics umbrella. that goes for real life and animanga faces. even aesthetics users. people in the community manipulate and utilize art/photos/writing without artist/photographer/model/actor consent all the time. just because credits may be linked doesn't make it much better.

i can't go into legalities as i am not educated enough in that aspect. nor am i saying we all need to be 'art purists' or some other extreme like that. i've just always been confused as to how what we already do vs. utilizing 'art-stealing' ai makes people any better or worse than the other.

just my humble opinions tho. :(

you ate this friend and i couldn't have said it better myself. at the end of the day bitches is gonna do what they want, you feel me? as long as they're not committing murder, i think it's safe to ignore what others are doing in the rpc. if u wanna allow ai generated art on ur site cool, if not cool. at the end of the day we're just here to write. you have the option to also not let fc's on your site in general and just be a fcless site if it's that deep.

if anyone is out here attacking someone for using ai u need to go feel grass, it's pretty soft
pronounsHe/Him/His
1,094written posts
lightearned bits
offlinecurrently
light
Part of the Furniture
light Avatar
tinni Avatar

and that's as simple as that. don't let ppl on the web make u feel bad bbg u do u
no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
173written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
i think both ai art and writing are fine tbh. we (generally) don't get mad at people for imitating an artist's style or emulating the prose of an author they like. i think most people in the rpc have flat-out swiped sentences and theming and character archetypes they enjoyed for rp. why's it suddenly "bad" if the swiping comes from a program.

like yes i get that it's iffy due to the speed and lack of effort but it isn't morally wrong... it's about as morally wrong as me going "richard siken is cool" and aping his shit (i do this all the time) or thinking "hmm i think this artist uses color well" and coloring my work like they do
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 7:34:24 GMT by ace.
pronounsshe/hers
71written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
Yeah, no one should be attacked for using AI art, regardless if they were aware or not. Apologies if my post came off that way, I'm only constructively engaging a conversation. When I wrote "protect artists" that does not imply attack someone maliciously on the internet, that simply implies, please use that money to commission working artists that can draw your OC rather than paying for a machine that frankensteins human information from working artists that don't consent it. Whether you do or not is simply your own prerogative.

As I said a few posts ago, I'll still RP with anyone regardless of their art, but can't say the same for others in that regard.

Quick addendum: it's a fine line in the creative world but... emulating/inspired by =/= theft. Majority of artists do allow pfp use, which includes hovers and whatnot, therefore editing is allowed. Majority of artists do NOT allow their art to be used for AI simulators, which is why we see artists taking down their art from public sites. Art credits DOES make things better, because it tells me where you got your art from whether that is from an artist or idk Midjourney. Like, imagine passing in a research paper to your professor without citing your bibliography or footnotes, haha. That's crazy.

Another (related) confession: I think ppl who use AI art shouldn't get fc claims. Because at that point the art doesn't look like idk Nami from One Piece, but an entirely different character. Might as well just credit it as Original from Original Series. Which imo is fine.
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 14:28:17 GMT by irene
aliasdee
pronounsShe/Her
24written posts
deenaearned bits
offlinecurrently
deena
deena Avatar
sometimes i just wonder what would happen if an artist commissioned for a roleplayer, then the artist finds where the roleplayer was and finds out that roleplayer is doing a heavy smut thread.

i know it's nothing serious ofc but if that happens to me, as the roleplayer, i'm moving countries ๐Ÿ’€
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 16:03:38 GMT by deena
aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
551written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
irene Avatar
Yeah, no one should be attacked for using AI art, regardless if they were aware or not. Apologies if my post came off that way, I'm only constructively engaging a conversation. When I wrote "protect artists" that does not imply attack someone maliciously on the internet, that simply implies, please use that money to commission working artists that can draw your OC rather than paying for a machine that frankensteins human information from working artists that don't consent it. Whether you do or not is simply your own prerogative.

As I said a few posts ago, I'll still RP with anyone regardless of their art, but can't say the same for others in that regard.

Quick addendum: it's a fine line in the creative world but... emulating/inspired by =/= theft. Majority of artists do allow pfp use, which includes hovers and whatnot, therefore editing is allowed. Majority of artists do NOT allow their art to be used for AI simulators, which is why we see artists taking down their art from public sites. Art credits DOES make things better, because it tells me where you got your art from whether that is from an artist or idk Midjourney. Like, imagine passing in a research paper to your professor without citing your bibliography or footnotes, haha. That's crazy.

Another (related) confession: I think ppl who use AI art shouldn't get fc claims. Because at that point the art doesn't look like idk Nami from One Piece, but an entirely different character. Might as well just credit it as Original from Original Series. Which imo is fine.
Not giving your sources their due credit warrants an hbomberguy 2 hour video rant
pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
deena Avatar
sometimes i just wonder what would happen if an artist commissioned for a roleplayer, then the artist finds where the roleplayer was and finds out that roleplayer is doing a heavy smut thread.

i know it's nothing serious ofc but if that happens to me, as the roleplayer, i'm moving countries ๐Ÿ’€
as an artist who does commissions, if you're not writing smut of the ppl i'm drawing, i'm actually disappointed.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
aliasAerie, badmin, insert profanity
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
I think we're arguing which is the lesser of two evils here, but the fact of the matter is that they're both wrong.

In order for art use in role play to be ethical, you would need:

1. Proof of permission/consent from the artist to repost (a statement on their page, DM exchange, etc.)
  2. Crediting of the artwork (including ads/aff buttons posted off-site; if you post an ad w/ artwork offsite it should have a credit underneath)
  3. Proof of permission/consent from the artist to edit the image

We all edit the coloring, add filters, etc. to graphics. And beyond profile pictures. Site skins, advertisements, board locations, buttons, Discord banners, etc. And I'm sure no one is hunting down these artists to ensure they've consented to their art being used in this manner, because... it's a hobby removed from commercial use. No one is making money off of it. It's a pretty small community hobby.

So unless every single piece of artwork used has permission somewhere from the artist to repost + manipulate in PhotoShop, it's unethical. In fact, I'd argue against "most" artists allowing their art to be used for PFP. I'm not sure how we could ever verify that, because in my experience, I've seen more artists state they do not want their work reposted rather than state they're okay with editing + reuploading as a PFP. And again, this doesn't account for all the other graphic types we use in the RP world.

I'm sure this makes me the villain to say it, but both are wrong. Is one more wrong? Probably. But I don't think we get to condescend to one group when the other is still not being vigilant in ensuring consent has been gained for every member on every site for art use.
pronounsshe/hers
71written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
That's where art credit comes in. Which, I agree, isn't the answer we're looking for, but it does give an audience member/exposure to the artist.

Which is where AI art credits fails to deliver. Even if used recreationally, RPers that use AI simulators are essentially training it to perfect its unethical craft by feeding it data collection. The image simulated may be yours, but the data in the machine will be used again and again and again, which will benefit the inevitable client that will monetize it. Artist benefits nothing.

I think recreationally a compromise could be crediting an AI art piece as: Midjourney, inspired by the style of Loish. Still not the answer, but at least an artist benefits something from this niche community lol.
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 19:09:37 GMT by irene
aliasAerie, badmin, insert profanity
pronounsShe/They
139written posts
Aerieearned bits
offlinecurrently
Aerie
Aerie Avatar
sometimes we ball, sometimes we fall.
Crediting artists is kind of a "the least we can do" situation after using art without their consent. Like I said, we all know AI is bad. But we don't get to have a moral high ground when we're still unethically using art in the rpc.

Most people in this thread don't have their hover/icon credits visible. Most sites never credit their advertisement graphic or Discord banner. It feels like selective outrage.

I enjoy the dialogue it brings the community for sure. I just don't enjoy one side turning their noses up at the other when there's still a lot of inconsistency and improper use never mentioned.
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 20:26:55 GMT by Aerie
aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
551written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
So far no one has addressed the glaring fact that if youโ€™re going to pay people, pay the right people.

almost every popular AI bots is company-owned. What we (general we) plug in as a prompt is nothing short than theft disguised as art direction.

I think a lot of this conversation got conflated and devolved from the original point of argument: crediting artists. In this Wild West digital age itโ€™s the least we can do, and Iโ€™ll be making sure to properly credit what is due.