pronounsshe/her
537written posts
ninelieearned bits
offlinecurrently
ninelie
Part of the Furniture
ninelie Avatar
VOLITION [Medium: Success]
Can we talk about the devastating, heart-breaking moment when you find a beautiful piece of fanart of your face claim...

...only to discover it was AI-generated?

All-in-all this circles back to the 'proper sourcing/crediting' camp and while some folks can make the argument that roleplaying is more about the writing than the aesthetic, I agree with the points made about the animanga roleplaying experience is now packaged as a whole with equal parts writing/aesthetics/graphics and that's not something that's gonna change in a while, I feel. Also the exploitative nature of some anime/manga AI-generators have caused some artists I follow to put statements in their social media platforms to plead with others that their art isn't allowed to be used to train AI speaks volumes. Anyway that's my yackety-sax two-cents piece for this thread.
pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar
ninelie Avatar
Can we talk about the devastating, heart-breaking moment when you find a beautiful piece of fanart of your face claim...

...only to discover it was AI-generated?

All-in-all this circles back to the 'proper sourcing/crediting' camp and while some folks can make the argument that roleplaying is more about the writing than the aesthetic, I agree with the points made about the animanga roleplaying experience is now packaged as a whole with equal parts writing/aesthetics/graphics and that's not something that's gonna change in a while, I feel. Also the exploitative nature of some anime/manga AI-generators have caused some artists I follow to put statements in their social media platforms to plead with others that their art isn't allowed to be used to train AI speaks volumes. Anyway that's my yackety-sax two-cents piece for this thread.

i agree with the strikeout text and iโ€™m in the camp of โ€œif you would be upset about your own writing lifted and bastardized without your consent then you should shy away from AI generators

anyhow this is why AI art is banned on my site and i have no intention of changing the rule ๐Ÿซก letโ€™s all normalize using credited art as hovers (pfps are commonly allowed by artists) rather than using generators
last edit on Jan 23, 2024 0:48:52 GMT by ink
pronounsAny
534written posts
offlinecurrently
Banning ai art is all good but iโ€™ve also had some cases where the art was so nice i literally couldnโ€™t tell it wasnโ€™t fanart. So while I wouldnโ€™t use AI art for a character on purpose, I would like to not be dogpiled again for using an ai art that i thought was fanart.
Sometimes we were meant to meet. Sometimes I wonder where the heck you people came from.
aliasThe Moustachioed Greek
pronounshe/him
202written posts
Kostearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kost
Kost Avatar
D-d-digimon!
Even in well made AI art you can spot the imperfections if you look closely enough, but yeah I agree. Dogpiling is never cool. It's the staff's job to politely tell a member to switch the graphics, and everyone else should just mind their own business.
aliasTin
24written posts
tinniearned bits
offlinecurrently
tinni
tinni Avatar
i know i'm going to be on the probably really unpopular side of this topic, on a more personal level for rp, i don't really watch that much anime to begin with or dive into the world of gacha games, so my knowledge of animanga fcs is very limited beyond the popular ones. ai generated pics capture almost exactly what i want and i can get variations of them instead of just reusing the same pic for every single image field. they're pretty much my last resort in the event i can't find something that doesn't fit the description of what my character is.

that said, i also don't mind if a site bans ai generated pics as well as i am 100% against the idea of using them to make a profit. obviously, you're making money off of someone's hard work by using ai to create art from someone else's style, so that's a big no no for me. on a hobbyist level, again, i prefer to use them IF i do not find a picture that fits into my envisioned character.
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
tinni Avatar
i know i'm going to be on the probably really unpopular side of this topic, on a more personal level for rp, i don't really watch that much anime to begin with or dive into the world of gacha games, so my knowledge of animanga fcs is very limited beyond the popular ones. ai generated pics capture almost exactly what i want and i can get variations of them instead of just reusing the same pic for every single image field. they're pretty much my last resort in the event i can't find something that doesn't fit the description of what my character is.

that said, i also don't mind if a site bans ai generated pics as well as i am 100% against the idea of using them to make a profit. obviously, you're making money off of someone's hard work by using ai to create art from someone else's style, so that's a big no no for me. on a hobbyist level, again, i prefer to use them IF i do not find a picture that fits into my envisioned character.

nothing is worth stealing off the hard work of other people, not even your idealized vision for the sake of your hobby. Just use aesthetics, of be satisfied with using the same crop. If youโ€™re bothered that much for using the same graphics, itโ€™s worth learning to just let it go and be satisfied

Thereโ€™s no acceptable reason at all to use a machine that rips off the work of artists without their permission whatsoever

Edit: better yet, commission an artist to draw your ideal art if it matters that much to you
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
๐Ÿ’– โ‡๏ธ baa ~ dumm! โ‡๏ธ ๐Ÿ’– Avatar
tinni Avatar

nothing is worth stealing off the hard work of other people, not even your idealized vision for the sake of your hobby. Just use aesthetics, of be satisfied with using the same crop. If youโ€™re bothered that much for using the same graphics, itโ€™s worth learning to just let it go and be satisfied

Thereโ€™s no acceptable reason at all to use a machine that rips off the work of artists without their permission whatsoever

Edit: better yet, commission an artist to draw your ideal art if it matters that much to you

to add onto the whole commission aspect, vgen is a pretty solid site to find quality commissions in a variety of price ranges. they have a discord as well that has a lot of activity. while i'm far from an anti-ai person, i am for supporting artists of all skill levels when it is financially feasible.
211written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
as a relative newcomer, sometimes choosing a face claim feels like such a burden, and i'm quite mixed on the subject. i'll be tempted to pick something from a trending show or game just because i think it'll draw more players to my character even if it doesn't really fit.

on the other hand, picking something that doesn't fit can help you develop the character further. the FC has a scar, so what's the backstory of the scar for your character? the FC looks rather demure but you didn't picture the character that wayโ€”perhaps they feign demureness because of some incident in the past? 

sometimes the randomness/unidealness can be inspiring. i wonder if there's ever been an RP forum where everyone gets random face claims and tries to adapt their character to it. i wonder what the RP would look like in that circumstance? ๐Ÿง
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 2:03:06 GMT by siel
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
porsef Avatar

to add onto the whole commission aspect, vgen is a pretty solid site to find quality commissions in a variety of price ranges. they have a discord as well that has a lot of activity. while i'm far from an anti-ai person, i am for supporting artists of all skill levels when it is financially feasible.

Writers quietly supporting ai art (generated from countless of artists without permission) is tragic. You have the power to draw countless, unique pictures with your words, and somehow you are happier with a final product that is soulless, having skipped through the entire process of what makes art, art.
pronounsshe/hers
71written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
My two cents WRT AI art is that it begets the question of hypocrisy. An understandable rule of thumb in the general RPC that ChatGPT is ethically wrong, but somehow AI art isn't. It tells me that we protect writers, but not artists. Wont stop me from rping with someone, but I will sigh. 

That being said... my faceclaim confession is that I love it when fanartists draw fcs in diverse attires disparate from the canon. 
pronounsAny
534written posts
offlinecurrently
Iโ€™m sorry but I disagree. Ai art in the rpc is generally immediately attack-worthy, there are not a lot of people who will use it. We absolutely do not need to be more protective, people are already rabid about it. So i do not think that artists are less protected.

And again, there are art pieces that have flown by my radar because they were not labeled as ai. While yes, there are not a ton of them yet, they appear to be getting better and better.

Yes, someone with experience has a better chance of spotting them but some people do not know what to look for.
Sometimes we were meant to meet. Sometimes I wonder where the heck you people came from.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
irene Avatar
My two cents WRT AI art is that it begets the question of hypocrisy. An understandable rule of thumb in the general RPC that ChatGPT is ethically wrong, but somehow AI art isn't. It tells me that we protect writers, but not artists. Wont stop me from rping with someone, but I will sigh.ย 

I have no idea how you see chatgpt the same as ai art. Nor do i even know that rpc had a stand about chatgpt lol. The posts iโ€™ve seen of people rping with chatgpt looked like very lonely folks who are getting too deep into something they know is wrong.
pronounsshe/hers
71written posts
ireneearned bits
offlinecurrently
irene
irene Avatar
irene Avatar
My two cents WRT AI art is that it begets the question of hypocrisy. An understandable rule of thumb in the general RPC that ChatGPT is ethically wrong, but somehow AI art isn't. It tells me that we protect writers, but not artists. Wont stop me from rping with someone, but I will sigh. 

I have no idea how you see chatgpt the same as ai art. Nor do i even know that rpc had a stand about chatgpt lol. The posts iโ€™ve seen of people rping with chatgpt looked like very lonely folks who are getting too deep into something they know is wrong.

Both ChatGPT and AI art depend on the simulation of human intelligence processed by machines. :-[ Legitimizing one sets the precedent for another.
last edit on Feb 10, 2024 4:15:38 GMT by irene
pronounsthey/them
185written posts
inkearned bits
offlinecurrently
ink
ink Avatar
my stance on AI boils down to this

1. I won't allow it on sites that I personally run

2. I judge you less for it if you would feel no objection to me lifting your posts/application and frankensteining it into something totally different without credit or compensation
aliaspor, sef, jdawg
pronounsshe | her
526written posts
porsefearned bits
offlinecurrently
porsef
Part of the Furniture
porsef Avatar
chichi wo moge
i don't think anyone should be attacked or potentially ostracized over using ai... for face claims or otherwise. that's scary to see in the world over most differing opinions and a bit extreme to say in my opinion...

like... yeah, i don't support it in being used to source from people's artistic or literary works without their conscious contribution or consent either. but i believe the more constructive way for us as a community to advocate for our feelings is to try and educate each other so our peers can make more informed decisions. even if some of our peers don't heed the information, we should just move on and hope that one day they may share the same feelings with the information we provided.

i think it's a good thing that people are so passionately against creative theft and plagerism.

but (and a big one at that)... unless you're sourcing the images for your graphics from free license sources or purchasing the rights to use said images, i think what most of us already do falls under a similar ethics umbrella. that goes for real life and animanga faces. even aesthetics users. people in the community manipulate and utilize art/photos/writing without artist/photographer/model/actor consent all the time. just because credits may be linked doesn't make it much better.

i can't go into legalities as i am not educated enough in that aspect. nor am i saying we all need to be 'art purists' or some other extreme like that. i've just always been confused as to how what we already do vs. utilizing 'art-stealing' ai makes people any better or worse than the other.

just my humble opinions tho. :(