aliasLOVELORN, LL, LORN
pronounsSHE/HER
123written posts
lovelornearned bits
offlinecurrently
lovelorn
lovelorn Avatar
real winners quit
as someone who's fc'd fcs with little to no art (shahrazad from trinity blood, marco adriano from gangsta, etc.), old fcs (trigun pre-release of stampede, etc.), fcs from just manga/manga-style art (old CLAMP etc.), unpopular fcs (anyone know cecil from escape devildom, etc.?) and has been rping on public/private/semi-private rps for years and years, i've never had problems with anyone wanting to write w/me because of my fc.

it's true that people won't be as interested in your character if you use something that's unpopular/not 'pretty' compared to a popular/pretty fc with lots of art, but that's just true abt anything 'popular' - when i put my char in an unpopular location/faction, i know that they're not going to get as much attention as a character in a popular faction or accessible location, or when i don't talk about my character in public chats or the discord, i know they're not going to get as much attn as they would otherwise. people won't reach out to you because of your fc, but that doesn't mean no one's going to write with you at all, esp if your character has a canon/subcanon position. it just means that you have to put an effort 2 reach out to get more plots.

fc is an element of rp that i consider the same as any other element of rp. there are a lot of ways to get plots/plots of threads, and fc is one of them. talking about your character publicly/integrating with the community is another, reaching out and plotting w/other people is 1 more, putting your character in a position where they're related to others via wanted ads/canon positions is 1 more, etc. etc. etc.. not choosing to do any of them doesn't mean you won't get plots at all, but it definitely means it won't be as easy/people won't come to you as much, so it's something that i take into consideration when i make a character. if i want people to come to me/don't want to reach out to people to plot as much, i'll put all the things i can to appeal to other rpers in my app, from nice formatting to a popular fc.

because our hobby is literally rp, people's impressions of you/your character will be based off of these things, and yes, people will judge you from your fc, but i don't consider it any different from people judging your writing/your formatting/how you present yourself in public spaces/etc.

when it comes to me personally (finally getting to the FC confessions part of this thread LMFAO), i do judge people off of their fcs. i assume older fcs (like old manga/anime) are from people that are older (which was relevant when i was <18 and people were like, i personally do not want to rp w/a minor even if the site allows it). if someone's gfx are resized wrong/uncropped, i assume that they don't have a lot of experience w/this kind of rp. i usually find that people who have fcs who don't really "match" the rp (for example using inuyasha in his original outfit/form in a modern london rp) tend to be less detail-oriented/strong on "immersion" than the ones that try to pin the vague time period/setting of a site down w/their fc, and i find that a lot of the rpers who put a lot of effort into their gfx (adding effects, filters, etc.) also are usually the ones who try something new with their writing (typography in posts, format, perspective, prose/poetry etc.)
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
I never considered fc being a factor for the interaction you get. Itโ€™s clearly not the issue, but the community youโ€™re in. Iโ€™ve always used whatever fc i like, definitely not the general mainstream, and the communities ive been into didnt care. The graphics could just be a generic anime screenshot pose and theyโ€™d still get plots and threads with folks genuinely having fun. This was a case I saw already in the last rp i was in last year.

Itโ€™s so incredibly childish to not want to rp or interact with someone bc of their graphics.

And this goes off topic butโ€ฆ

yes, sometimes their writing isnt that detailed and same thing. I dont judge ppl for how they write. And these folks are really fun to write with bc theyre just there to have a good time. Your quality doesnt decrease bc of some dents and flaws in someoneโ€™s writing as long as you can have an open communication with them.

And rather than judge these people, graphics or writing. I offer to help them and give them ideas. How else are people supposed to improve?
pronounsAny
534written posts
offlinecurrently
While I do think itโ€™s silly to judge a person because of their graphics, Iโ€™m sorry but it is a common flaw in the rp community. Aesthetics appear to be a major point of make or break for a lot of people and is one of the reasons Iโ€™ve started using filters and such to make my own graphics. Things need to be pretty - or else.

Not in my current community - mind, but I had gotten so used to it by the point I got to where I am now.
Sometimes we were meant to meet. Sometimes I wonder where the heck you people came from.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
Most rp communities donโ€™t have custom skins and experienced graphics users. Iโ€™m not really arguing abt anything and im not denying the problem exists. But i feel like people forget the high quality site designs are only a small percentage of the rp comm. It may be a common issue in this small percentage group, but in rping as a whole? I highly doubt it.
pronounshe/him
882written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
i don't always engage in the source material my FCs come from, so I sometimes forget who they are until someone starts talking to me about them. and im sitting here like "yeah! uh huh!!!" (who tf are we talking about???)

Now serving!
Feline Overlord
aliasChibi
pronounsShe/Her
1,793written posts
Chibi Magicianearned bits
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Chibi Magician Avatar
Pure Gremlin Energy
I think my main FC related (ish) gripe is when there are rules to have aesthetically pleasing graphics. My definition of aesthetically pleasing maybe different from another personโ€™s definition of it. Overall, it just makes me vacate the idea of joining immediately since while yes, I can photo edit, I prefer just cropping. Furthermore, I would just keep questioning the overall definition in the personโ€™s opinion is โ€œaesthetically pleasingโ€. I know there are people I can ask to do my graphics also, but I enjoy doing them myself. So I just generally avoid the rule cause it makes me antsy and ticks that little thought in my head of never being good enough. It is just, so interpretive it messes with my head.
pronounsAny
534written posts
offlinecurrently
Chibi Magician Avatar
I think my main FC related (ish) gripe is when there are rules to have aesthetically pleasing graphics. My definition of aesthetically pleasing maybe different from another personโ€™s definition of it. Overall, it just makes me vacate the idea of joining immediately since while yes, I can photo edit, I prefer just cropping. Furthermore, I would just keep questioning the overall definition in the personโ€™s opinion is โ€œaesthetically pleasingโ€. I know there are people I can ask to do my graphics also, but I enjoy doing them myself. So I just generally avoid the rule cause it makes me antsy and ticks that little thought in my head of never being good enough. It is just, so interpretive it messes with my head.
Rules on it shouldnโ€™t be a thing tbh, because โ€œpleasing aestheticsโ€ are individual taste. I like brighter colors unless the characterโ€™s supposed to be darker or more dreary and the opinions I get on my edits are a mixed bag. Some like them, some think theyโ€™re too bright or too saturated. 

I will admit for reds and pinks specifically - I do prefer mine very bright. Blues also at least 60% of the time.
last edit on Jan 21, 2024 2:08:44 GMT by ๐น๐‘’๐“‡๐’ถ๐“
Sometimes we were meant to meet. Sometimes I wonder where the heck you people came from.
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
256written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
lmao "pleasing graphics" the most you're getting out of me is a crop and maybe a slight rotate in MS Paint

I do this hobby because I like writing. if I wanted to do art, I'd go find an art hobby instead.

That said my confession is I like fcs because I really hate writing (and lbr, reading) physical descriptions, I'd rather just be able to instantly grok what a character looks like and never have to bring it up again in the rp itself. Picture > 1000 words and all that.
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
Jenesis Avatar
Picture > 1000 words and all that.

Writing character descriptions get a lot of flak in rping but i think people just donโ€™t know how to do it, and i mean that in the nicest way possible. Character description shouldnโ€™t just be statistics (color of eyes, clothes theyre wearing, their height, their facial expression), it should convey an impression and story. Itโ€™s not something necessary for ppl who want to get to the good bits yeah, but reading it shouldnt have to feel like a chore. Nor should it be 1k words, or even anything long. Good character descriptions shouldnโ€™t tell you, but show you.

(Not directing this specifically at you btw. Just in general since u mentioned it)
no angel
aliasโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆโ–ˆ
pronounszimzala/bim
173written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
hmm so tbh i hope rules that ban under 18 fcs don't catch on.....i got told twice last year that i couldn't use a vocaloid character (possibly because vocaloids are forever 14-16) and it grinded my gears.

i also dislike rules that are all "well this character has to LOOK like an adult for you to use them >:(!" because that is a.) vague as hell (i've seen people say something like this it's just rin kagamine resembles a child while using artwork that was basically that but with like, defined shading around the nose bridge or w/e -- and to me it's just an anime character) b.) a bit annoying as someone regularly id'd still despite being 24. young-looking adults are still adults....!

why not say 'no loli fcs' or something idk

last edit on Jan 21, 2024 4:34:11 GMT by ace.
pronounsAny
534written posts
offlinecurrently
ace. Avatar
hmm so tbh i hope rules that ban under 18 fcs don't catch on.....i got told twice last year that i couldn't use a vocaloid character (possibly because vocaloids are forever 14-16) and it grinded my gears.

i also dislike rules that are all "well this character has to LOOK like an adult for you to use them >:(!" because that is a.) vague as hell (i've seen people say something like this it's just rin kagamine resembles a child while using artwork that was basically that but with like, defined shading around the nose bridge or w/e -- and to me it's just an anime character) b.) a bit annoying as someone regularly id'd still despite being 24. young-looking adults are still adults....!

thisโ€ฆ..is a thing? Man am I glad itโ€™s not a super common one. People do realize likeโ€ฆa lot / most anime fcs are like. Highschool ageโ€ฆright? Thatโ€™s the stereotypical anime setting and age demographic anyways.
pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
ace. Avatar

i have said it before and i'll say it again: if you give me a RL site and an animanga site that are otherwise identical, with this exact same rule, i'm never joining the animanga one. it's too much effort to vet the ages of fictional characters because the morality in fiction purity brigade can't just use RL FCs and make my job easier in that regard. if i'd never seen stardust crusaders, i would have thought jotaro kujo was a man in his 20s. that character does not look 15.
last edit on Jan 21, 2024 7:23:34 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
pronounsfeminine
383written posts
idindinearned bits
offlinecurrently
idindin
idindin Avatar
illidan main Avatar
i have said it before and i'll say it again: if you give me a RL site and an animanga site that are otherwise identical, with this exact same rule, i'm never joining the animanga one.
you'll most likely never find a rl site with fc rules similar to animanga's. it's v common for them to require that the fc is within 5+/- years of age of the character, and have their skin color + culture + ethnicity match. there's also the whole bit about people of color and their representation(god forbid if you play all-whites, or all-korean) and -- in the unfortunate event if your fc passes, or speak out some controversial opinions, you're expected to change it pronto.

compared to that, animanga is... a lot more lax. we really just don't want people using klee's fc and say she's a 1000 years old dragon, or use a kiddy clara pic and say she's 20+ so let's do an M+ thread. the age rule is just there because we just don't want the bad apples strong-arming and twisting written guidelines to test boundaries. personally, in all my time here, i've only seen one person try to write child-coded characters in M-threads, but since they use adult fcs... it's legal? i'll leave out the specifics :x

also, i like the rule of "minors allowed, but not allowed to participate in threads rated M(fight threads or otherwise), because somehow it seems that we're held to a higher standard while authors like george martin gets to write w/e.

that said, on age:

i agree it's v arbitrary. it's not that long ago when localization companies would age-up characters just to shut the western side up(JP:13y/o -> EN:16 y/o). nowadays they've skipped the middle man since localization discrepancies are more obvious with the internet. now, characters are designed teen-coded but then given a number of 18+, or younger, depending on who they want to please. you can't tell me a 16-17 year old is out there leading an entire nation as their upper echelon(keqing), or that lyney is 18+ when ppl on twt still says "oh he looks like a minor because he was starved! so sad" then proceed to show him flirting with the mc + wearing shorts only shotas would wear + fanart him in nsfw.

honestly, put the genshin middle-sized characters together, and they really just look like an after school club outing. chongyun and xingqiu looks like they both go to the same school together, so what's that about shipping minors?

also may we remember pela: graduate, drinks till she's hungover the next day, co-founder of serval's band in her collage days with cocolia(40/yo or smtg)... all while she's currently 16.

tl;drย the companies don't even care about their canon ages. it's just a number to them because they're fiction. so caring for that is... futile?ย for our purposes and comfort, as long as the representing art(usually hover image) looks like an adult, then it's ok maybe? ...inb4 someone uses an aged-up klee......... you get the idea. but im glad no one in my circle seems to do that(except that outlier)

on graphics,ย 

kind reminder that this resource site is (mainly) for the proboards/jcink animanga circle, who tend to prefer more aesthetics than your common discord rp/anime rp sites(google anime roleplay and you'll see what i mean). if you want to write out your appearance instead of having it done via fc, or not be forced to do gfx or crop images, or not even care about fcs at all, those might be your better options. there's even reddit rp? in this circle, i personally think we love and stay here for when coding + graphics + writing come together. no other place does it like this(closest is tumblr rp but it's not collective), and while it does require more effort, we like the result, so i think... most of us don't find this an issue.

we do complain about the effort needed tho! valid.

also, i don't think there's ever a rule that you must use aesthetically pleasing fcs. at the most, i've only seen site admins (who have paid in money+effort to make their site look pretty for you who wanted to join) request that hover images to not be stretched or pixelated. they've done the whole site, everything looks good, so just ensuring ur own hover isn't squished is a small matter i think.

i remember someone using a hand-drawn picture of their character in 2b pencil, and it was accepted and ppl did write with them(and this is in those 'big aesthetic site' too -- tenkai). filters,,, erm. well, that 2b pencil drawing definitely wasn't filtered ha ha ha.

hehe my observations no one asked for. so sorry for the length skdhfskdfh. just gotta find your crowd i suppose, and a medium that suits ur needs best.ย 
last edit on Jan 21, 2024 14:17:53 GMT by idindin
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
idindin Avatar
because somehow it seems that we're held to a higher standard while authors like george martin gets to write w/e.ย 

To be fair, you can choose not to read his books and stay away from discussions relating to it. Itโ€™s a bit different in an rp community. Even if you choose not to interact with that character, being in the same group means that youโ€™re still in the same space. The whole vibe of the site would be vastly different depending on whatโ€™s allowed to be written

ALSO I appreciate u writing all that down. You said a lot of stuffs i would say and just agree with but cannot articulate as well as you
last edit on Jan 21, 2024 11:12:56 GMT by ๐Ÿ’– โ‡๏ธ baa ~ dumm! โ‡๏ธ ๐Ÿ’–
pronounshe/him
732written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
idindin Avatar
illidan main Avatar
i have said it before and i'll say it again: if you give me a RL site and an animanga site that are otherwise identical, with this exact same rule, i'm never joining the animanga one.
you'll most likely never find a rl site with fc rules similar to animanga's. it's v common for them to require that the fc is within 5+/- years of age of the character, and have their skin color + culture + ethnicity match. there's also the whole bit about people of color and their representation(god forbid if you play all-whites, or all-korean) and -- in the unfortunate event if your fc passes, or speak out some controversial opinions, you're expected to change it pronto.

compared to that, animanga is... a lot more lax. we really just don't want people using klee's fc and say she's a 1000 years old dragon, or use a kiddy clara pic and say she's 20+ so let's do an M+ thread. the age rule is just there because we just don't want the bad apples strong-arming and twisting written guidelines to test boundaries. personally, in all my time here, i've only seen one person try to write child-coded characters in M-threads, but since they use adult fcs... it's legal? i'll leave out the specifics :x

also, i like the rule of "minors allowed, but not allowed to participate in threads rated M(fight threads or otherwise), because somehow it seems that we're held to a higher standard while authors like george martin gets to write w/e.

that said, on age:

i agree it's v arbitrary. it's not that long ago when localization companies would age-up characters just to shut the western side up(JP:13y/o -> EN:16 y/o). nowadays they've skipped the middle man since localization discrepancies are more obvious with the internet. now, characters are designed teen-coded but then given a number of 18+, or younger, depending on who they want to please. you can't tell me a 16-17 year old is out there leading an entire nation as their upper echelon(keqing), or that lyney is 18+ when ppl on twt still says "oh he looks like a minor because he was starved! so sad" then proceed to show him flirting with the mc + wearing shorts only shotas would wear + fanart him in nsfw.

honestly, put the genshin middle-sized characters together, and they really just look like an after school club outing. chongyun and xingqiu looks like they both go to the same school together, so what's that about shipping minors?

also may we remember pela: graduate, drinks till she's hungover the next day, co-founder of serval's band in her collage days with cocolia(40/yo or smtg)... all while she's currently 16.

tl;dr the companies don't even care about their canon ages. it's just a number to them because they're fiction. so caring for that is... futile? for our purposes and comfort, as long as the representing art(usually hover image) looks like an adult, then it's ok maybe? ...inb4 someone uses an aged-up klee......... you get the idea. but im glad no one in my circle seems to do that(except that outlier)

on graphics

While I don't necessarily disagree, when it comes to the 18+ rule, I think RL wins out because as you said, it's arbitrary. Miku is whatever age the song says she is; this is expressly a view of Crypton. Then you have a case like Taliyah from League of Legends who is 16 in game and 23 in a cinematic and looks the exact same in both-- so is she a minor or an adult? And then you have Jotaro Kujo, who looks YOUNGER as an adult due to style changes. Then you have Wrathion, who is mentally and physically an adult but chronologically very young. And then there's localization. Lyndis is 14 in Japanese releases of FE7 but 18 in the English releases. Which is it, admins? While I agree that loli- and shota-coded characters are CREEPY, it's just too many steps and grey areas for me.

With RL, the 18+ rule is easily solved by googling "Hey, how old is Mahesh Jadu?" Google says he was born in October of 1982, so he's objectively 41 years old, meaning I can use him and I don't have to think about hoops or grey areas. There are also plenty of directories that will give you a lot of the information you need, making it relatively easy to find FCs that are 18+. RL has its own bags of cats, but that, imo is not one of them.

I'm ok with minors not being allowed in m-rated threads, but FC rules related to age WRT Animanga are too much of a headache for me to personally bother with them. So they're a hard dealbreaker for me.
last edit on Jan 21, 2024 15:52:13 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me