pronounsShe/her
329written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Just a magical kitten
capsella Avatar
Honestly, I miss plotters, too! I tried responding to a couple a long while ago, but it didn’t really work. It’s so much easier than jumping into someone else’s private messages, and it keeps plots public and easy for other people to build off of.

I like when plotting takes place on Discord, too, when it’s in channels accessible to new members who want to join/haven’t made a character yet, but I think initiatives that push people to take plotting and character discussion to private messages really have the potential to damage a public site. Not only is it hard to know who to reach out for to plot, and what sorts of relationships they’re looking for, it’s harder to gauge the current character relationships onsite re: something you’ve just jumped into. IMO, on Discord and on forums themselves, the more plotting/character development channels available to everyone, the better. It’s nice to learn about everyone’s characters when you’re new, and it gives you the chance to tell people about your own concept and let them come to you!

Selfishly, I think groups that drive people to take their plotting and chitchat somewhere more private have a tendency to encourage gossip, too. The more open a site is, on both staff’s part and the members’ part, the more people will feel comfortable talking things out instead of letting feelings fester. If I talk about something I’m frustrated with with one of my friends, and that becomes two, becomes three, becomes four, sometimes it’s not really a personal gripe, but something that just becomes mean. I’m really ashamed of some of the stuff I’ve said in the heat of the moment, because it’s something I so could’ve easily asked about three months earlier; a quick ‘hey, do you mind if we switch to this plot? I’m not super comfortable with the way things have gone’ could’ve solved so much, in such a happier and more enjoyable way. I think it’s so much easier to remember that what we say and do isn’t in a bubble when we’re all on the same page on a site and a server.

That’s mostly rambling, so feel free to glaze over some of that last part (I probably would, too) but ! More public plotting ! Public character talk channels where I can ask what everyone’s favorite food is! Or what they wear to bed! Or if they’re allergic to anything! It’s just so nice to be in the Know.

As a discord PM fanatic who generally dislikes plotters, this is a really thoughtful perspective to hear from the other side.

I tend to take intensive plotting into PMs because if I'm doing a 1x1 plot with another member... I don't think anyone not involved in the plot wants to hear about it, and will be actually annoyed if I spam 50 messages into the public chat that are of no interest to anyone other than the 1 person I'm doing the thread with. Is that wrong? Especially if this is going on with multiple 1x1 plots simultaneously, so you just end up with a bunch of people talking past each other. Multiple plotting channels can help with this, but the more you have, the more the discord appears to be cluttered.

Chardev and character talk channels, on the other hand, yes good, all the community engagement please.

traveller Avatar
Like, I wrote some entries for the Spring Bingo Event, and put a like on them and it made me feel valued and happy.

Be like Pharaoh Leap.

seconded that is a treasure to the p2 community
last edit on Jun 5, 2024 21:40:34 GMT by Jenesis
aliasnght, mre, nightmare, night
pronounshe/him
7written posts
nghtmreearned bits
offlinecurrently
nghtmre
nghtmre Avatar
Off topic, but shout out to my homies Google Docs, autosave extensions, and other text saving programs. Y'all are the real heroes.

edit: That typo took my soul away.
last edit on Jun 6, 2024 23:19:04 GMT by nghtmre
pronounsshe/they
67written posts
cilaearned bits
offlinecurrently
cila
cila Avatar
henry Avatar
But it's not accurate to suggest that members who disrespect one another, or otherwise foster exclusivity amongst themselves is necessarily the fault of the admins. Like, as an example, it's easy for people to talk behind people's backs, or act really nice in DMs/discord server and then say another thing entirely in their private group chat. I was on a defunct multifandom rp some time ago--other members ostracized a single member because she wrote differently from them, but they never did it in the general channel. Neither she nor I were aware of the sentiment until those members successfully convinced the admins to throw her out, laughing at and ridiculing her as they did. I learned about the last part because I was the only one who reached out to her personally, after the fact.

i didn't say that bad members are the admin's fault. if you're saying that there are bad people out there and that they can sneak under the radar of an admin's purview, i agree with you. however it's on the admins to consider both sides of the story before banning someone, and to use their judgement with the information they have.

in this case, i would still say they're bad admins. and there's some communication gaps here.

we rehash the 'are cliques bad' argument every other month and nothing comes out of it except telling ppl to do better. reach out, plot more, etc. but maybe we should all do some self reflection and consider whether we're embodying the change we want to be, or just waiting for other people to do so.
34written posts
henryearned bits
offlinecurrently
henry
henry Avatar
Don’t talk to me
cila Avatar
we rehash the 'are cliques bad' argument every other month and nothing comes out of it except telling ppl to do better. reach out, plot more, etc. but maybe we should all do some self reflection and consider whether we're embodying the change we want to be, or just waiting for other people to do so.

Yeah for sure. Like I said, it’s a collective responsibility for all involved, admins and members, to improve. I think, by deflecting so much onto admins, it ironically takes away from self-reflection, no? Even very good admins of carefully curated sites can be taken advantage of and ultimately ruined by groups of entitled, self-serving members. And if they operate as an exclusive pack, then that’s a clique. Converse situation certainly also happens as well, though certainly not any more or less. In some cases, it is the admins’ fault, but for any community—roleplay, online, even IRL—it’s not fair to say that the admins or organizers alone are always at fault. People can be unpredictable, deceitful, and ultimately very cruel.

I mean, it also makes sense why people would bring this kind of topic up repeatedly. It happens everywhere! Members start wondering if they’re one of the “bad guys” (or insist they’re the good ones), while others were hurt by exclusive behaviors and have strong opinions on what they wish could be different. The best we can do is admit that, as part of an online community, all of us are capable of making a toxic environment (as described by capsella in an earlier post), so we should check ourselves and our behaviors, and own up to our shortcomings, so that we can improve. That’s not something only admins are responsible for. :)

If it’s a conversation that, at minimum, has to happen over and over for anything to change, then it’s a good way to remind us to do self-reflection, regardless of who we are, and I think there’s nothing harmful about it.
pronounsshe/they
67written posts
cilaearned bits
offlinecurrently
cila
cila Avatar
henry Avatar
Yeah for sure. Like I said, it’s a collective responsibility for all involved, admins and members, to improve. I think, by deflecting so much onto admins, it ironically takes away from self-reflection, no? Even very good admins of carefully curated sites can be taken advantage of and ultimately ruined by groups of entitled, self-serving members. And if they operate as an exclusive pack, then that’s a clique. Converse situation certainly also happens as well, though certainly not any more or less. In some cases, it is the admins’ fault, but for any community—roleplay, online, even IRL—it’s not fair to say that the admins or organizers alone are always at fault. People can be unpredictable, deceitful, and ultimately very cruel.

I mean, it also makes sense why people would bring this kind of topic up repeatedly. It happens everywhere! Members start wondering if they’re one of the “bad guys” (or insist they’re the good ones), while others were hurt by exclusive behaviors and have strong opinions on what they wish could be different. The best we can do is admit that, as part of an online community, all of us are capable of making a toxic environment (as described by capsella in an earlier post), so we should check ourselves and our behaviors, and own up to our shortcomings, so that we can improve. That’s not something only admins are responsible for. :)

If it’s a conversation that, at minimum, has to happen over and over for anything to change, then it’s a good way to remind us to do self-reflection, regardless of who we are, and I think there’s nothing harmful about it.

i think you're missing the point a little. you act as if admins can be 'taken advantage of' and sites 'ruined' by entitled members. if you're an admin, you have the power to ban and kick people. that makes it your responsibility. you don't like someone? you have the full power to kick them. let's not pretend that admins are beholden to some magical force that prevents them from doing this lol.

and secondly, i don't really understand why we care about other people's plots so much. if a group of people have a cool plot running, it's not their responsibility to include other people, even though that would be nice. if you see this as an admin an easy fix could be to include *all* your members in a site plot/event, and also plotting with them yourself. if you're not running a site to write and plot with other ppl, what's the point in the first place?

and lastly, i do agree with you to some degree that members share some responsibility in creating a good community. i'm not arguing against that. i'm only saying that if the environment becomes toxic, than it's up to the admins to fix the community and not to lash out and antagonize their members ;)
last edit on Jun 6, 2024 4:40:10 GMT by cila
235written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
Yeah, the story of the admin kicking out someone who did nothing wrong except earn the dislike of a clique just made me think what an absolute weapon that admin is. They firmly deserve the blame for letting members dictate who is or is not welcome at their site.
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
the wheels are singing
aliasJen, DeJener8
pronounsShe/her
329written posts
Jenesisearned bits
offlinecurrently
Jenesis
Jenesis Avatar
Just a magical kitten
cila Avatar
i think you're missing the point a little. you act as if admins can be 'taken advantage of' and sites 'ruined' by entitled members. if you're an admin, you have the power to ban and kick people. that makes it your responsibility. you don't like someone? you have the full power to kick them. let's not pretend that admins are beholden to some magical force that prevents them from doing this lol.

this is what 'the admins set the tone for the community' means.

if a good admin has bad members, they have the power to kick/ban them, or at least tell them to knock it off.

if good members have a bad admin, they can't exactly kick/ban that person off their own site. their only choice is to stay and put up with the toxicity, or leave, which can be difficult if no other existing site caters to the exact oc you want to play, your friends don't want to migrate to the new site with you, the fc you like is often taken/disallowed, etc.
etch o' sketch
aliasecchi
pronounsshe/they
154written posts
yung ecchiearned bits
offlinecurrently
yung ecchi
yung ecchi Avatar
you and i are gonna live forever.
This conversation is interesting.

I've been "in" the clique and "out" of the clique, but here's the thing: they're unavoidable. We're humans and we gather with the like minded of our herd, sometimes not realizing this does us more harm than good. Digital tribalism at its finest. A community is only as good as the work put in by the villagers. It takes a village to make a site work, and some admins forget that they need new blood to keep the heart pumping; whilst members, used to one another, need a reminder that a leader's role is to lead. I would expect an admin/moderator/etc to exact fair dealings with their member base without being bias — does that happen, though? Not as often as we'd all like. Which ends up boiling down to conversations like these being had, rehashing certain talking points. We're all on the same page mostly. No one likes being treated like an outcast. Everyone has their favorite (s), too.

Though I've learned that not taking things too seriously is the key to keeping a level head about the RP community. Not everyone will like me (and for good reason, I was… not cool to be associated with once upon a time); not every site's community will embrace me into its thick of plots. I had long since realized the clan I used to rock with, follow along, join every site made and lovingly created… don't mesh. Sad at first, but we cope with harder things in our lives, lmao. I'll live and so will they. Make your own community. Live by the rules to seek to be followed. I think most RP sites should be privated or invite only nowadays. We are seeing a trend of people saying "I like xyz's site idea!" But it's a crapshot if they actually join it; lotta bark, no bite. It's great to show interest, but only walking that walk and talking that talk will get us back to those "golden days" where sites were flowing hot.

This got off track but I swear there's a message in there. It's 3am.
235written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
I remember roleplaying on a site called Patisserie, and I really dug that the staff team took the effort to welcome me in and immediately offered me some of my first plots and threads. I liked that a lot, props to them.
last edit on Jun 6, 2024 9:07:15 GMT by traveller
"Someone's got to die today and you have got the final say. You? Or your crew?"
34written posts
henryearned bits
offlinecurrently
henry
henry Avatar
Don’t talk to me
cila Avatar
and lastly, i do agree with you to some degree that members share some responsibility in creating a good community. i'm not arguing against that. i'm only saying that if the environment becomes toxic, than it's up to the admins to fix the community and not to lash out and antagonize their members ;)

"Some degree" is where I completely disagree.

No: admins should not lash out and antagonize their members. But how do admins fix a community if members don't also reciprocate their efforts? And how can we promote self-reflection, but only inasmuch as we can ultimately blame a toxic or otherwise unsuccessful site onto admins?

Perhaps this is a reason why this conversation comes back so often-online communities are more interested in blaming others before we reflect our own behaviors, and this cycle is again perpetuated. I once more cite capsella's earlier post, indicating how easy it is to form a toxic clique from just a friend group, but also how easy it is to avoid such an outcome.

I didn't think that collective responsibility--exercised by admins unto members, as well as members towards one another and admins by extension--came with exceptions and ultimatums. I had a friend describe to me that staffing work is ultimately thankless. With that in mind, how can we look at one another's vast experiences with toxic, exclusive, and emotionally taxing communities by the RPC and otherwise, and say--"Well if the admins were simply better at their job (the one that they aren't being paid for), then none of this would have happened"?

That kind of conclusion closes off so many possibilities for self-reflection, self-improvement, and community-wide change.

Like...there are, at time of writing, over 100 pages in the staffing confessions thread. Zero's post in particular cites how difficult it is to balance administration demands and member expectations with enjoying the world they even created: pixel-perfect.boards.net/post/87715/thread.

But slowly, over time, you find that instead of role-playing, you’ve become a 24/7 help desk, putting on a customer service face, trying to settle disputes and questions, dealing with assholes who don’t care about your well-being or boundaries, who get mad at you if you’re not progressing the site plot like you’re being paid to handhold their experience, and it’s like ‘fuck, why am I even running this world when I don’t get to write in it?’

This post, as well as the existence of such a long-running thread only goes to show that curating and fixing a community while maintaining individual boundaries is difficult. We can agree that a number of situations in this thread would be improved if only we worked, as a community, to improve ourselves. This is beyond opening plots and letting people join in. It's observing the things that go unsaid--the example I had earlier of everyone welcoming a member in gen chat and ultimately turning against her by gossiping and making fun of her behind closed doors--and bringing them to light.

I can't help but feel that we are doing our fellow community members a disservice when we say that a community's health depends ultimately on site creators and not equally on our own efforts to foster healthy relationships and environments with each other. Particularly when it comes to monitoring our own behaviors and making sure we are promoting an inclusive community.
last edit on Jun 6, 2024 13:18:17 GMT by henry
pronounshe/him
789written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
henry Avatar
I can't help but feel that we are doing our fellow community members a disservice when we say that a community's health depends ultimately on site creators and not equally on our own efforts to foster healthy relationships and environments with each other. Particularly when it comes to monitoring our own behaviors and making sure we are promoting an inclusive community.
Ah I love this post, but particularly this part.

It's not going to help if I, the admin, roll out the red carpet for every new member and help them integrate but no other member raises a finger to actually do something. Or it's not going to help if I start a site and do my best to show interest in everyone that joins, but they decide they're not going to post ever or even finish apps.

There's only so much the admins can do, and the lack of people making sites has just as much to do with community behavior than "good admins." Noah Fence, but if you expect me to do all the work for a site and make the community good on my own, I'm just writing a book. I remember Beetle getting the advice about how "you have to be your site's own most active member" but like. Can you really blame him for losing interest in a site when he's the only one posting? At that point, why are you keeping a site open for people who very obviously do not care?

My point is, we can't keep foisting site failures off on admins. A site isn't just the staff team, and a community isn't just its leaders.
last edit on Jun 6, 2024 14:05:37 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,354written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
offlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
what do you want to know? my height, hobbies, quirks, the color of my underwear?
illidan main Avatar
It's not going to help if I, the admin, roll out the red carpet for every new member and help them integrate but no other member raises a finger to actually do something. Or it's not going to help if I start a site and do my best to show interest in everyone that joins, but they decide they're not going to post ever or even finish apps.

[...] I remember Beetle getting the advice about how "you have to be your site's own most active member" but like. Can you really blame him for losing interest in a site when he's the only one posting? At that point, why are you keeping a site open for people who very obviously do not care?

i mostly just wanted to highlight this portion of the post since no joke, i don't think i could think of many ways to burn out an admin faster than this.

since uh.... tbh that's a major part of why i've by and large stopped staffing. because it was just so soul-crushingly demotivating to feel like i was the "only one" making significant efforts to try to reach out and meaningfully plot with new people and yet no matter how active i was and how much effort i'd pour into the site, the second i had any kind of slowdown in any capacity, everything ground to a halt, as if the whole site was unable to function by and large unless i was constantly active, even if there wasn't anything for me to be active with! and that was even with me going out of my way to organize plots between the other members that i knew they were both interested in and yet most of the time, nothing would ever come of it since nothing would ever get past me doing that go-between effort for them to get the ball rolling.

so like.... sure, the staff can set the tone, but i mean. if the community just isn't there behind them, the staff doesn't stand a chance - for anything. the staff can personally go out of their way to integrate each new member but it won't make a difference if most of the rest of the site isn't really interested in (or able to manage) branching out of their bubbles, the same way that trying to force a bunch of events into a community that's not interested in a big site plot or high activity requirements into a slower group is going to be destined for failure.

(which, like others have said, is probably why this topic comes up every month or two. because individual efforts aren't going to make a dent in the overall culture, and like yeah, no, i genuinely don't believe most people are being exclusive on purpose, the problem is just that it's a whole heck of a lot easier to not be inclusive without even realizing it. but at the same time, the overall culture doesn't have a chance to change without having these conversations to remind people that taking the handful of minutes to meaningfully reach out to someone new or without a lot of plots Is Good Actually (tm) and probably something we could all stand to do a little bit more if we want to actually cultivate a "healthier" culture both on individual sites and in the wider community overall.)

oops that turned into a surprisingly long thing, imma just hand the mic off again and scurry away again since i genuinely mean this whole thing to be a positive thing to reflect on, not something to start a new round of back-and-forth, whoops-
last edit on Jun 6, 2024 15:39:52 GMT by Kuroya

aliasxeno
pronounsshe/her
36written posts
xenoearned bits
offlinecurrently
xeno
xeno Avatar
A lot of good points being made.

A community isn't just its leaders, but a community tends to follow its leaders. When the admins are friendly, the community tends to be friendlier. When they are toxic, the community tends to be toxic too. I have seen plenty of sites die because the admins were too busy or otherwise inactive. I've seen plenty of sites die because the admins and their friends wouldn't really plot with others. And let's face it: if a community has gotten too toxic and the admins aren't happy with their site, it might just be time to let it go. RP should be for the enjoyment of everyone.

We shouldn't dismiss the impact of admins though. Successful sites have active admins to help foster an active community, and systems in place to encourage roleplayer interaction. I was recently on a site that was so welcoming to me despite being a very sparse roleplayer. People would regularly go out of their way to chat with me and tag me to plot. That was just the site culture, and it started from the admins' efforts. It helped that people were rewarded onsite currency for threading with others for sure, but they would have received the same rewards if they stayed inside their cliques. There was a genuine desire, both from the members and the admins, to include new members in both personal and site plots. I'm sure it would've been very different if the admins weren't a driving force through chatting all the time, hosting various events onsite, and recommending characters to interact.

You can't just throw a bunch of different people into a room and expect all of them to get along on their own. Sure, some of them will, and you'll have your various cliques. But if you're the one who invited them there and want them there, you might as well help integrate the groups, and soon other people will follow suit.
pronounsAny
571written posts
offlinecurrently
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁
Part of the Furniture
𝐹𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁 Avatar
It's a little bit off-topic but, another thing is that neither members nor admins and staff can be "good" if there isn't communication.

I have already seen people going around saying x member or y staff member are bad because they didn't solve z issue. But the problem is that they never asked for help or even indicated they had a problem or wanted something.

People aren't mind-readers.

If you want something or need help with an problem to be solved. Talk. Address it.