Favorite Writing Applications?

aliasAsu
pronounsshe/her/hers
391written posts
Asuearned bits
offlinecurrently
Asu
Asu Avatar
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
I am someone who writes directly in the box. Which, for the purposes of productivity and trying to complete a sweep, isn't very productive. I also want to be able to write at work on my phone sometimes, and I'm not really a phone poster in general.

So! I'm wondering where people write if they aren't writing in the box! I'd really prefer to get something that I could work on posts both on my phone and on my laptop, and something that's simple to use because I'm a grandma. I'll still probably fall into typing into the box, but I've let this queue pile up for far too long and have to do something about it.
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
174written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
Personally I use LibreOffice www.libreoffice.org/ ! It's free open source software, and a successor of ol' OpenOffice

The support for phones is currently experimental, unfortunately, but it's incredibly robust and gets new features at a pretty decent rate
Catscape Meow!
pronounshe/him
882written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
im also a โ€œright in the posting field boxโ€ person. But sometimes I may load up all my owed posts onto a google doc when im traveling and know i wont have super reliable internet. at the very least im then able to write my reply even if i cant post it yet.

Now serving!
118written posts
travellerearned bits
offlinecurrently
traveller
traveller Avatar
WordPad is pretty robust, but usually I write directly in the post box. I'd use WordPad more if I felt inclined to edit my posts, but as it is, I'd rather just get some posts out and enjoy the thrill of writing with none of the misery that editing can introduce.
last edit on Feb 29, 2024 19:37:25 GMT by traveller
"Since you claim you're so much wiser, why's your life spent all alone?"
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
707written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
ngl iโ€™m another โ€œwrites directly into the boxโ€ type, but on the rare chances i donโ€™t, i usually go for:

1) google docs โ€” easy, accessible, straightforward, i can ramble on my phone and then just copy/paste when iโ€™m on a computer later or, as i more often use it for, when it comes to starters or solos since i know i can take days to weeks on those. google docs lets me work on them whenever and have a clear organized archive i can access at any point.

2) phone / tablet notes app โ€” another one i use mainly just for โ€œi have this snippet / passage / post i wanna do but i donโ€™t think i can write it directly into the box rnโ€. honestly, i also use a private & personal server in discord for these too LMFAO. the easier it is for me to get what iโ€™ve already written and plug it in any time, the better.

coming soon.
Dark Empress
aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
i am the type to write on app field itself. very rarely i would write my app on gdoc or other writing app. the only time i would write on gdoc is my posts. plus, i have Grammarly premium and it's embedded in everywhere i can write on. and yes including in pixel replies
aliasMisty
pronounsshe/her
14written posts
missmistyearned bits
offlinecurrently
missmisty
missmisty Avatar
I write in the post box itself wherever I can. If I'm doing a bio or something I want to keep for later, I just use the basic textedit app on my computer.

If I'm on the go, I just use my phone's default notes app. But that's mostly just snippets and broad outlines for things I want to include in the post. I couldn't stand doing an entire post on my phone lol
211written posts
sielearned bits
offlinecurrently
siel
siel Avatar
since you mentioned something that works well on desktop and mobile, i've been using Notion to keep track of characters, posts, and storyboarding stuff. it's free to use (unless you want a bunch of other functionality that comes with the paid plan). i was using Google Docs before but i like Notion more now.

Notion can be used for all sorts of things (it was used at my workplace for the company wiki), but to keep it simple: i like that it has a light/dark mode toggle and font size toggle. i like that i can insert pics of my characters where i'm writing. i like that it's easy to collapse sections of text into a toggle with one click if they get too long (for example, i can have a page of all my posts and toggles with Post 1, Post 2, etc). i like that i can organize pages into a bigger table of contents in the sidebar. i like that everything looks nice and easy to read without having to format much.

there are templates to use with Notion if you want to get more serious with organizing pages. i like using the table template to turn my character bios into a nice gallery for easy viewing/referencing.
9written posts
owliearned bits
offlinecurrently
owli
owli Avatar
I used to write directly in the post box like an absolute maniac. 

Recently I've been using an app called CalmlyWriter. There's a free version, but the actual app itself isn't expensive. It's easy to use and helps filter out distractions while you're writing. It has several dark modes too, which is great for my poor eyesight. 

I know there's other apps out there like this, and I'd love to hear more recommendations. Also, has anyone ever used Grammarly? I've never used it myself, but I know some people do. 
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
owli Avatar
Also, has anyone ever used Grammarly? I've never used it myself, but I know some people do. 
I use Grammarly! It really helps me catch my common mistakes (commas, mostly - so many comma errors!) but I frequently ignore it when it makes suggestions that just come down to style. It's got a handy Chrome extention so it's active when I'm writing on site like a madman like one does.
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
I used grammarly for my fic. It was handy to catch mistakes snd making me realize i really need to proofread mroe but since cancelling my subscription, i reverted back to not caring and living comfortably in ignorance
Stardust in me
aliasEm, Dragon
pronounsShe/Her/Hers
773written posts
rabbitearsearned bits
offlinecurrently
rabbitears
Part of the Furniture
rabbitears Avatar
We're motivated by the stars that we're made of
๐Ÿ’– โ‡๏ธ baa ~ dumm! โ‡๏ธ ๐Ÿ’– Avatar
I used grammarly for my fic. It was handy to catch mistakes snd making me realize i really need to proofread mroe but since cancelling my subscription, i reverted back to not caring and living comfortably in ignorance
I just use the free version ...
kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,333written posts
offlinecurrently
emotional over wallace event/alt
rabbitears Avatar
๐Ÿ’– โ‡๏ธ baa ~ dumm! โ‡๏ธ ๐Ÿ’– Avatar
I just use the free version ...
oh...