write a reply

Most Underrated Games

pronounshe/him
54written posts
Rayearned bits
offlinecurrently
Ray
Ray Avatar
Hey, all! I've been playing a couple of games recently that don't have a lot of recognition, or aren't as widely known as a lot of their competitors. Which is such a sad thing to think about, because I believe some of them are phenomenal pieces of art! So I got curious, what games do you know about that you think are underrated? They can be works of art, or just a game you like that doesn't have much of the spotlight. Or even anything in between!

For me, I was recently exploring the Steam store and stumbled upon a game called Gris; I had my eye on it a couple of years ago but it slipped my mind after a while. I decided to play it, and OH MY GOD it is SO beautiful and rich. It's a good four hours of gameplay with a compelling story open to interpretation, exploring the five stages of grief in such an artsy way~ I'm in LOVE with it. I think it definitely needs a lot more recognition!

An honorable mention that I'm going to throw in is Just Dance. It's my all-time favorite video game and I know it's not a lot of people's favorite, but it was always so compelling to me because I love to move. And now it has lore? Hello?! The story didn't make much sense at first but then I fell through the rabbit hole and fell in love with it.

Edit: I've bolded the game titles, but also found one other game that I feel doesn't have lots of traction. It's called Eastshade, it's a quest-driven game that focuses on painting instead of combat. As a person who leans strongly towards cozy games over anything else, I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the game and all the beautiful areas it had to offer. The NPCs are all animal people and do look slightly uncanny but I'd say it's alright to let it slide for everything else the game offers! Would highly recommend.
last edit on Aug 29, 2024 3:11:03 GMT by Ray
You can find me at:
BUILD GOD & Serene Bonds (WIP)
pronounsshe/her
60written posts
margaritaearned bits
offlinecurrently
margarita
margarita Avatar
Journey was a beautiful game, in spite of how simple it was. What really made it for me, though, was that at about the halfway point in the gameplay, I crossed paths with another player (because it was online) and we finished the journey together. There was no chat box or voice call, just jumping and making little sounds to each other, but somehow we figured it out. A weirdly emotional connection? But a really nice one. The vibes and music were great.

idk if it counts as underrated, but I haven't thought about it in several years so that's close enough.
aliasspectre
pronounsthey/them
28written posts
scryearned bits
offlinecurrently
scry
scry Avatar
horror enthusiast.
I don't know if it be considered underrated since it's just over a year old, but it's among my fav games: Killer Frequency. Yea, yea it's a spooky game and I definitely should stop drinking the horror juice. But anyways it's not scary and is simply a puzzle-story game where you're a radio host that has to help callers survive the night. The game has a bunch of easter eggs related to spooky movies and the game is a solid vibe for chilling. 

Another game which I'm sure is definitely underrated is, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's a walking stimulator game with absolutely lovely music and atmosphere. It's a bit spooky in the sense you're trying to figure out what happened to everyone in the town because they all disappeared. Otherwise it's a typical story game. I will admit it is a bit slow pace, like I mention walking stimulator but if you're fine with that and enjoy looking at scenery then you might enjoy it. It's a very pretty game for 2016, at least I think so.
aliasnightbloom, bloom
pronounsShe/Her
698written posts
peachearned bits
offlinecurrently
peach
Part of the Furniture
peach Avatar
so it goes.
scry Avatar
Another game which I'm sure is definitely underrated is, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. It's a walking stimulator game with absolutely lovely music and atmosphere. It's a bit spooky in the sense you're trying to figure out what happened to everyone in the town because they all disappeared. Otherwise it's a typical story game. I will admit it is a bit slow pace, like I mention walking stimulator but if you're fine with that and enjoy looking at scenery then you might enjoy it. It's a very pretty game for 2016, at least I think so.

Ahhh, that's such a good game! On a similar note, since they are created by the same team, Dear Esther is a great walking story game as well! Definitely pulled on my heart strings.

Another underrated game I feel is a super, duper old one but I have a lot of nostalgia for it. Jet Force Gemini will always be one of the best multiplayer games I've ever played. The main story is a little strange (you're saving little bear people from alien ants) but the multiplayer can be so chaotic and I have many fond memories blasting my friends with a Tri-Rocket. xD
aliasvelk, cyan
pronounsshe/her
57written posts
safi'jiivaearned bits
offlinecurrently
safi'jiiva
safi'jiiva Avatar
sometimes, things that are edgy are cool
despite the company being a bit awful and hating the ceo, i still recommend library of ruina as an excellent deck builder with a story that i still think about now about breaking the cycle of abuse and the nature of revenge, learning how to process trauma. it's set in a bleak cyberpunk world which is very heavily influenced by korean culture. idk. buy it's whilst it's heavily on sale on steam or pirate it, don't pay full price. it's still an incredible game. (it also has a difficulty spike that is just vertical around the midgame, but if you enjoy hard games you're in luck!)

if you enjoyed baldur's gate 3 and are looking for more crpgs, i cannot recommend owlcat games enough, in particular pathfinder: wrath of the righteous and warhammer 40k: rogue trader. they have a really fun writing style because they don't have cutscenes so the actions are described like you're reading a novel (rogue trader even has illustrated sections). even if you've no experience with either of the worlds, they do such a great job at getting you immersed.

fear and hunger: termina is one of the best horror games i've ever played. absolute peak the game hates you, it's made by one guy. heed the trigger warnings.

ender lilies: quietus of the knights is a fun metroidvania if you're waiting for the mythical silksong that is never coming. it has a beautiful soundtrack and follows a little girl that wakes up in a dying fantasy world and can purify people suffering from corruption to come to her aid.

the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
783written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
ok im not doing a lot @ work rn and if i calculate apartment budgets for the nth time today i might actually reach the brink of insanity, so lemme not shut up about these games (i PROMISE i don't talk about pathologic this time):

p relevant recommendation due to it being on sale rn and an expanded version coming out in september on all consoles (and if you get the original version in steam, you get a free upgrade to the expanded when it drops) but slay the princess may genuinely have one of my all-time favorite narratives in video games. a gut-wrenchingly lovely visual novel about so many things — life, death, gods, monsters, and my personal favorite: an analysis and dissection of human relationships, in all their messy, unhealthy, and "trying to be better" glory. gorgeous art, gorgeous soundtrack, gorgeous voice acting, gorgeous writing — just play it, i swear it's worth it. you have one job: to slay the princess, because if you don't, she will destroy the world (right?). devs also outright said they're cool with people pirating this game and if you do, then decide to buy it on steam, your saves transfer over without any problems! so really, there's no reason to not get it imho.

while i actually think the narrative and writing for this one isn't the Best(TM), it's worth recommending for the sheer experience + scope + innovations it brought forward, so stray gods: the roleplaying musical and its additional orpheus dlc which is more or less an "afterparty" for the base game. if you like musical theater and greek mythology, 100% worth checking out. your choices change the music, lyrics, vibes, and scene so much that there are over 10000+ variations and no playthrough is the same exactly because of all the musical potential. it makes my brain hurt to think about the amount of work that went into it, and i wholeheartedly believe it deserves more attention.

lastly, if you have skyrim on laptop/pc (you probably have skyrim) enderal: forgotten stories is an INCREDIBLE and free game made from skyrim (it's technically a mod, but only bc it uses skyrim's engine and foundation to create an entirely new game complete with worldbuilding, lore, music, voice acting, story, etc. that are all wholly original). the narrative is incredible and gut-wrenching, the quests memorable, the romances indepth, the characters compelling, and the bard songs are so good it's unreal (if you listen to the winter sky, You Will Understand). it's a testament to the strength of creative passion imo, because how on earth does this exist as a free product? i'm genuinely in awe. please play this if you have skyrim bc that means you can automatically run this for free.
last edit on Jul 9, 2024 13:25:37 GMT by CEL

coming soon.
no angel
alias██████
pronounszimzala/bim
226written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
highly responsive to prayers
cult simulator (+other fallen london games, but mainly cult simulator) roleplaying card game where you start a cult. the writing + lore are really very super duper excellent

katana zero war trauma and swords. loved the plot, even if the gameplay itself made me want to gnaw my fingers off. i am not that good at games that require insane reaction time

FAITH: the unholy trinity i just adore shotgun preacher shit tbh

yuppie psycho office/capitalism horror game where you help a guy named brian pasternack play forced hide and seek against a witch his company has tasked him to kill. made me chuckle a few times

...people are recommending library of ruina, but lobotomy corporation (first game in the series) is also very fun. it's a management sim where you take care of scp-like creatures.
last edit on Jul 9, 2024 23:30:09 GMT by ace.
pronounsshe/her
247written posts
scarletearned bits
offlinecurrently
scarlet
scarlet Avatar
Seconding Slay the Princess. Really thought-provoking and compelling narrative.

Zero Escape: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors is a masterpiece of plotting and puzzles. Its sequel Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward is somehow better. We don't talk about Zero Time Dilemma.

System Shock 2 is like BioShock before BioShock.

The House in Fata Morgana is a beautifully done gothic Visual Novel that completely guts you emotionally. Check trigger warnings if you're squeamish, but know this may spoil some of the plot for you.

Cinderella Phenomenon is the best fantasy otome Visual Novel I've ever played and it's completely free on Steam.

Regency Love is a charming Regency era otome that is sadly only available on iOS.

Princess Maker 2 from the 90s is the gold standard for raising sims and inspired future games such as Long Live the Queen. In PM2, you are a war hero in a fantasy world raising a child given to you by the gods to prove humanity has changed for the better. Supposedly they're re-releasing the game for Switch! (Warning, the Steam translation of this is absolute garbage.)

The full beta of Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem is finally out and it's a labor of love I've been following since its Kickstarter in 2015. If you like fantasy otomes, political intrigue, and stat-raising sims, this one is for you. Really pleased it's approaching official release at last.

And here is some primarily text-based stuff, for the nerds. Often they get referred to as "interactive fiction." You mostly click through these stories, like you would a VN, but graphics are limited and not always present. Second person is very common in these.

The Uncle Who Works at Nintendo is a horror Twine game with the following simple premise: "You are 11 years old. You are sleeping over at your best friend's house. You and your friend like videogames. Your friend has a lot of cool games. And, believe it or not, an uncle who works for Nintendo. And he's coming to visit at midnight." Check trigger warnings if squeamish. Play for free here.

Queers in Love at the End of the World by Anna Antropy is very brief but affecting. Story is in the title. Play the Twine game here for free. The game is timed.

Porpentine's Howling Dogs is so hard to describe, but it's heavy, and explores trauma. Porpentine does stuff with Twine I'm not sure anyone else does, and if you like this, check out her whole body of work. Check trigger warnings if you're squeamish here too, as it deals with violence, religion, and escapism. Play free here.

Lynnea Glasser's Creatures Such as We was made with Choicescript. You work as a tour guide on the moon, which is lonely and stressful and you use video games as a release. It's a simple character-driven narrative, but a thought-provoking one. You can play it once for free or buy the full game for $5.
last edit on Jul 9, 2024 16:34:16 GMT by scarlet
143written posts
Stallasearned bits
offlinecurrently
Stallas
Stallas Avatar
ACT IV: HOOLIGAN TALES
The Banner Saga, Banner Saga 2, Banner Saga 3
A beautiful turn-based tactic set in a mythical Nordic setting. It's about a caravan outrunning the end of the world until they can't anymore. The cast that survives carries over to the next game. Each game I averaged 13-15 hours.

Edit. I forgot about Starsong.
OPUS: Echo of Starsong
Very moving visual novel. About two protagonists journeying through space with a love story. I still listen to the soundtrack, three years later. 12 hours.

Library of Ruina
I don't like deckbuilders but I loved this one. It is an experience. I made one site and I based it on the premise of this game. 122 hours.

Expeditions: Vikings & Expeditions: Rome
RPGs in a historical setting. The former is set during the early Viking Age. 40 hours. The latter you basically follow an alternate Caesar's campaign, you go through Gallia, Egypt, etc. 56 hours.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Isometric RPG. A very impressive world and lore. The cast of Critical Role had involvement with some of the voices. 52 hours.

Hotline Miami & Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Iconic games in my opinion. All enemies and you die in one hit in this game, making the levels tense. 15 hours for the first, 9 hours the second.

Pyre
Cinematic story game, mild tactical, fantasy. Basically teams of bizarre convicts banished from society play mythical sports to earn the chance to rejoin society. I'm not selling this game well, but it's by the people that made Hades. 12 hours.

Tyranny
RPG where you play the villain, working for the Big Bad to subjugate the world. Enough said. 27 hours.

Buried Stars
Korean murder mystery visual novel. 27 hours.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Absolute mindfuck of a visual novel. You follow thirteen different protagonists as they fight against kaiju, Pacific Rim style. I can't say anything else for spoilers but the story is just complicated and insane in a good way. PS5 catalogue or switch. 39 hours.
last edit on Jul 9, 2024 21:55:49 GMT by Stallas
phantom of the black parade
pronounsshe / her pronouns
4,342written posts
Kuroyaearned bits
onlinecurrently
Kuroya
Part of the Furniture
Kuroya Avatar
at this, the world's end, do we cast off tomorrow~!
pokemon colosseum and pokemon xd gale of darkness are both honestly such good games and i wish more people knew about them since look, listen, how many games do you get to actually have the team rocket experience by stealing pokemon (bonus points for colosseum having you play as a former criminal) and you start the games canonically with either eevee (xd) or espeon + umbreon (colosseum). they also introduce the singular best character in all of pokemon, miror b and the games are actually surprisingly difficult considering they're spinoffs from the gamecube era and i just think more people should know about them.

pokemon conquest too since it's another largely forgotten side game from the nintendo ds and it's a weird play but it's also just genuinely interesting since it's medieval pokemon kingdoms where you have partner dynamics and most pokemon evolve from how strong your relationship is with them (instead of level or power or movesets) and the pokemon art is super gorgeous. the combat's a lil weird, since it definitely plays a bit more like a fire emblem game than a pokemon game, and the story's a lil bit weaker but the post-game story is almost a whole new game too, since you then get to start smaller individual campaigns playing as various npcs and get to unlock a bunch of new 'mon you didn't have access to in the main game. honestly, it's the only pokemon game i ever truly tried to 100%, and i still feel sad to this day that i lost the copy with the attempt when i was kicked out of my home years ago.

paper mario 64 and paper mario: the thousand year door are also great plays (i say knowing that the ttyd remake is probs gonna get hype back for them), they're just genuinely great stories with lots of cool world-building (there's an entire penguin village! a haunted forest of boos! an ice castle with a dead king!) and a fun partner system and a turn-based combat system with experience points and a badge system to make it fun and the speedrun + randomizer communities around at least pape64 are honestly just so great and wholesome. like. i usually replay pape64 once every few years, just because the game is so fun even as a replay, and i would honestly want little more than to go up to miyamoto himself and tell him how much these games mean to me and how much i wish he'd actually bring the paper mario series back to when it was "a mario rpg but they all just happen to be made of paper" rather than "a mario game where everyone's paper and that's it that's the prompt"

for a non-nintendo and current game? uh. probably slime rancher and my friendly neighborhood. i've spent way too many hours herding slimes to not highly recommend the game (i am still so sad that the sequel doesn't have multiplayer, i just wanna chill with some friends herding slimes together), and my friendly neighborhood is just a really fun take on the mascot horror genre but with a nice, neat story and resident evil style mechanics that just work really well together. they're both great games and i think they deserve more recognition than they get.

aliasspectre
pronounsthey/them
28written posts
scryearned bits
offlinecurrently
scry
scry Avatar
horror enthusiast.
Stallas Avatar
Hotline Miami & Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Iconic games in my opinion. All enemies and you die in one hit in this game, making the levels tense. 15 hours for the first, 9 hours the second.
also added bonus: the soundtracks for both games are phenomenal. it’s synth wave bops. which another game similar to it is party hard. your neighbors are having a loud party and well you got to “deal” with the party goers. there’s a party hard 2.
last edit on Jul 9, 2024 22:32:20 GMT by scry
aliasxeno
pronounsshe/her
34written posts
xenoearned bits
onlinecurrently
xeno
xeno Avatar
you should play a bloons tower defense game !!! they're the best.

also balatro, the game of all time, consumed my life for my entire last semester of college. i have somewhat recovered since then. great roguelike about poker, but the best part is you don't have to know shit about poker to play. it's also pretty cheap
pronounshe/him
33written posts
crunchearned bits
offlinecurrently
crunch
crunch Avatar
breaking my shameful silence for this thread

DUSK is fucking amazing; one of the leading forces in the old-school doom/quake-like shooter renaissance, and made by the same guy who would go on to make Iron Lung and plainly inspired by Blood. it's dark, grimy, violent, fast, simple, a lil goofy, and made with a clear love for old-school shooters while still going a step ahead to do its own thing and keep you on your toes. if you like spinning double shotguns and blowing up cultists and wendigoes it the best

AMID EVIL is another New Blood shooter that is more inspired by the fantasy doom knockoffs like Hexen and Heretic, but its unironically one of the most visually appealing games i've ever played. it has that same crunchy low poly aesthetic as DUSK but with such a shameless use of color and level design to make it pop out, going for that pulp fantasy power metal album cover look. the gameplay is fucking fun, too; all the weapons feel great, and every zone is its little world with a unique cast of enemies to keep things fresh, and the music can be either really rockin or shockingly beautiful

Lunacid recently got its full release and i've been trying to find time to do a full proper playthrough of it. made by akuma kira, the same person behind Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion, it's a first-person RPG heavily inspired by King's Field, and from the moment i heard the character creation music i fell in love with it. it is peak PS1 nostalgia, super atmospheric and creepy while still being weirdly comfy when you're just wandering around a big dark dungeon with a torch in one hand and a sword in the other. i fucking love haunting lonely dark fantasy raaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhh

Entropy Zero 2 is fucking amazing and anyone whose played Half-Life or Half-Life 2 needs to play it right fucking now. this is Half-Life 3. i'm being so deadass. do not under any circumstances play the first one, watch a playthrough if you must, but sit down and play the second one it is so fucking kino. 3650 is such a cool and interesting character and feels like the perfect execution of a character who is just an unrepentant terrible person with a lot of issues.

"you're out here in the arctic, mad as hell. you're on a warpath. you hate everyone you meet, boss."

pronounsshe/her
86written posts
fawnearned bits
offlinecurrently
fawn
fawn Avatar
scarlet Avatar
The full beta of Seven Kingdoms: The Princess Problem is finally out and it's a labor of love I've been following since its Kickstarter in 2015. If you like fantasy otomes, political intrigue, and stat-raising sims, this one is for you. Really pleased it's approaching official release at last.

i audibly gasped at this. i’ve been following this project for years and genuinely thought it’d never be released.

edit: so i’m not too off topic. control has some of my favorite game lore and i encourage anyone who liked x-files or scp foundation to give it a try. fun physics, very cool setting design, interesting world building. alan wake is its sister game and i think more well-known/regarded.
last edit on Jul 10, 2024 14:32:00 GMT by fawn
aliasAsk me~
pronounsHe or They
193written posts
Wraithearned bits
offlinecurrently
Wraith
Wraith Avatar
There's hope beyond this lone abyss.
Tired so bear with me here...but...

Roadwarden — Interactive fiction game/visual novel where you journey to a mysterious peninsula,
hired by a guild to “spread their influence”, you can determine your character’s beliefs, personality, class and so on. The world is grim — and the choices are yours to make which can lead you to unfurling mysteries, making relatively drastic decisions... it’s a very open text-based game, and you probably won’t see everything your first play through. I’m a big fan of interactive fiction games (Sorcery! Comes to mind, a classic I think everyone should try the digital version but definitely not underrated) and Roadwarden is up there!

Thea: The Awakening and Thea: The Shattering — These are strange strategy games based on Slavic mythology that is both a village management sim, a visual novel, a card game, a roguelike...and more! Also, the editor is so robust and makes it easy to add your /own/ random events, stories, characters, and so on...And your main character, in The Shattering, can be a genderless rat. One of my favourite ways to play the game is this way

Kingsway — an RPG that you play on a fake windows OS, it’s a roguelike as well, with lots of customization and so on. It’s been updated ever since it came out and I adore it

Townscaper — relaxing game where you build a town. Not much more to it, but I do play it to unwind. Also, you can export the towns you generate and use them for stuff

The Age of Decadence — post apocalypse text-heavy RPG inspired by Fallout 1 and 2. It’s profoundly difficult. You start the game joinning one of the factions, and every character start is uniquely different and has a different story + story opportunities (think Dragon Age Origins but EVEN more content and specific paths for you based on what you pick). It’s a bit janky and all that, def not for everyone as it is a bit dated...

You can play as an entirely non-combat character, using your speech to get through things. And honestly... I recommend cheating using console and save scumming if you find the game hard. It’s worth it if you end up enjoying the setting and what the game is trying to offer.

Caves of Qud – Where do I start... I’ll just copy and paste the desc “Caves of Qud is a science fantasy roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants. Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through layers of thousand-year-old civilizations.” Think Dwarf Fortress with the sheer scope of this game and its stimulation. It has a lot of options that make the game more forgiving (even a “roleplay” mode), a dynamic faction system, and you can make your character into a mutant monstrosity. It’s one of the best roguelikes I’ve ever played.

I could go on and on x.x But I won’t! For now.
I appreciate all the suggestions in this thread, I love learning of more games to check out
Catscape Meow!