write a reply

Faceclaim Confessions

pronounsshe/her
427written posts
offlinecurrently
Some of you make site skins populated entirely with stolen artwork to earn actual money. Those same people are acting like they have the moral authority to define what is and isn't stealing in this thread and drawing a line that conveniently benefits themselves.

It's hypocritical to get rid of this person's post while other posts that are as accusatory as the quoted remain.

Giving credit to the artist does not completely absolve someone from the wrongs associated with using their art. Any difference in how much more moral one is over the other is negligible because the outcome is the same, doesn't help anyone, and serves to attack people using something for noncommercial purposes.

Instead of making a stand against those who use AI art for rp, it's more productive to look at the huge focus on aesthetics in this community. Cause at the end of the day, the rpers who use AI art just want to write too. If graphics weren't such a huge component of the hobby, then none of us would be using fanart or AI art as prominently.

Although, I think a lot of us like looking at pretty art, so we're not willing to sacrifice that for the even higher moral ground of not using any images.

Aesthetics in my argument is different than something causing accessibility issues (e.g. low contrast or being too bright) btw.
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 22:49:16 GMT by cyanide darktearz ๐Ÿ’€
internally screaming
pronounsshe/her
1,799written posts
Nekoearned bits
onlinecurrently
Neko
Administrator
Neko Avatar
stressed, depressed, and probably not well-dressed
last warning for this thread, if you see something you feel breaks the rules, is accusatory, etc - use the report button and do not engage further. Do not say your piece and report, just report. We think this is a very important discussion and should be had. We've already warned bad actors in this thread - we've taken reports seriously. However, please, and this is the rule going forward in any discussion like this, if you find something wrong or a vague post, report it - and if you want to contribute to the discussion then ignore that post.

If you feel targeted by the post or feel very strongly about a topic where you can't be or are not sure you can discuss it in a public debate thread in a public forum, please take time for yourself and do not engage with the topic at all. If you feel that you would need help to avoid these conversations, please PM one of the staff and we can make a member group for you so you never have to see any discussion in that category.

kmsdvlajvkefk
aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,348written posts
offlinecurrently
wdym we're 5 months in 2024
Part of the Furniture
wdym we're 5 months in 2024 Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
This has been my stand about graphics all throughout: itโ€™s not that important. But if itโ€™s something so important for you to get it right, commission an artist.

At the heart of it, my pov is just a simple case of personal dignity. I donโ€™t think rping is worth using a tool that has been causing so many artists, known and uknown, grief. To me, the wider arguement isnโ€™t really what makes me passionate about it. Itโ€™s seeing my fellow art lover, who are seeking recognition and validation as me, getting bullied around.

Like, i can actually even understand more if you use ai art for a school project and youโ€™ve been backed to a corner to a rely on. But for something fun like rping? Something that is about imagination and soul as much as art? Itโ€™s just, as i have said, awfully tragic.

I know everyone is different. Everyone has different circumstances. But growing older and all that, i think we should try to live as decently as possible without hurting others. I have commissioned and followed extremely talented but small artists. I saw the pain they go through, already struggling to find a platform for them to make money, only to find out anywhere online will lead their art to ai art. Being in solidarity with them dowsnโ€™t help put food on their plate. But i know i am doing the proper thing by responding to what theyโ€™re going through, even if it affects no one but me.

Rping just isnโ€™t worth it.

Edit: i also realized my metric for fanart vs ai art isnโ€™t any sort of moral ground. Itโ€™s how i feel the artist will react.

If i an using their fanart with credits, they will understandably be annoyed. But will be probably let it go esp since i credited it. Itโ€™s only for a hobby after all. I also want to show off their art because i think itโ€™s awesome. I want to think it causes them the least amount of hurt, even if theyโ€™ll never know

But ai art will just hurt every artist out there, remind everyone it exists, how itโ€™s easier, how it fits the arsenal of an rper better. So i think fanart is better and more progressive.

Ninja edit 2: atop the graphics thing, i think people ought to be satisfied with something not perfect. Let go of things you canโ€™t help with, even if itโ€™s not up to your standard. Maybe not even just about graphics. People obsess over their ideals far too much. So what if itโ€™s not what you envision? So what if itโ€™s not an exact fit? There are other amazing things you can explore. No need to hyperfocus on an image.

As a man who starved himself sitting under a tree once said, desire is what causes suffering haha

Edit3 tl;dr: there may be little difference in using fanart or ai art in the wider scale, but these small decisions is what defines our lives. Your decision does matter. Maybe not to the artist or to the world itself. But to the kind of person you want to be
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 23:24:31 GMT by wdym we're 5 months in 2024
aliaskat
pronounsshe/her
99written posts
katearned bits
offlinecurrently
kat
kat Avatar

Edit3 tl;dr: there may be little difference in using fanart or ai art in the wider scale, but these small decisions is what defines our lives. Your decision does matter. Maybe not to the artist or to the world itself. But to the kind of person you want to be

Yep, 100%. I believe in the notion "when someone tells you what they need, you do it". I want to support artists, and artists both big and small have been resoundingly clear that they reject AI art and are begging the public not to feed into it. (I think you would be hard-pressed to find many established artists who are OK with AI and their art being used as a model for someone else to profit.)

For me, it is truly as simple as respecting the wishes of actual artists, who know best. If you aren't inclined to do the same, then we have a VERY different idea of what supporting someone (or a collective) looks like. That is ultimately up to the individual to reckon with.
last edit on Feb 11, 2024 23:35:26 GMT by kat

hover @kagoya1219 twit
icon 'heart breaker' manhwa
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,348written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture
Thanks for posting bc i dont think i can fit a 4th edit haha

I wanted to also say, adding credits to the art doesnโ€™t make a huge difference. We can all agree that doesnโ€™t make it legit to use the fanart. Yet, above the ethical arguement of it, it is simply a good practice. Making the small effort to give where credit is due is being ingrained in your habits. The positive idea is being processed repeatedly by your brain each time you practice it. It would pour into other aspects of our life.

In contrast, if we feed into the idea of โ€œit doesnโ€™t make a differenceโ€ then thatโ€™s how we end up finding ourselves at a completely different road. I genuinely want my fellow rpers supporting ai art to reconsider bc giving into this what you perceive as small/necessary/makes-no-difference-than-before evil can lead you to other unsavory ideas without you realizing it.
last edit on Feb 12, 2024 0:01:04 GMT by wdym we're 5 months in 2024
aliasphimbolina
pronounsfeminine
553written posts
PHIMBOearned bits
offlinecurrently
PHIMBO
Part of the Furniture
PHIMBO Avatar
So, too, is Death possessed of infinite strategies and a gaunt nature.
right, OK, we can easily argue that they are both types of "theft" but one is still significantly more grievous than the other. the difference between intentionally training an AI to crank out specific "brands" of images found on the dataset vs just editing something someone already made is that pulling PS open still involves human labor (some level of graphic design). that's like stealing someone's nice cake + refrosting it. AI is stealing the entire recipe book people put decades of love + work into developing and opening a bakery.

never mind artists literally drawing fanart of IPs they don't own and reselling it whether or not the company allows it.

these metrics are not equal.

obvsly this debate resides in an ambiguous limbo. whether people want to use AI for their face claims is entirely up to them. it doesn't stop me from writing with them; i've threaded with ppl who used manga caps w/ the SPEECH BUBBLE still on so idgaf. in the rp world what matters to me is whether or not the site creator's rules and metrics are respected.

and ofc accessibility
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,348written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture
Oh, speaking ofโ€ฆ

manga caps > anime caps for graphics. Manga have such beautiful panels and art. Just add a grey overlay to it and it can look very elegant outside of the pages.

I guess it was only in tumblr rp that using manga caps icons got popular. they are more emotive since itโ€™s taken from a scene. Love using them for posts.
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
yeah personally I won't RP with someone with AI profile pics but i want to make this extremely clear: I am in the animal RP space, and it is customary there to own every piece of art you use. our staff team paid hundreds of dollars, donated by members, to ensure that every graphic on the site is specific to the site. you can get banned for using art or photos that aren't yours or aren't free-to-use. most of my commission income comes from other RP'ers in the space.

i would likely care less if i were on a real animanga site.

tangentially related: i've remembered seeing animal RP sites with face claims, and I always giggle a bit at that. i'm gonna fc pangur.
last edit on Feb 12, 2024 2:00:07 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
pronounsshe/her
1written post
dotsearned bits
offlinecurrently
dots
dots Avatar
Empress Yuki Avatar
female path to nowhere fcs are great and very2 pretty but sadly, i am shit at playing female. bye bye female fcs ;;;
I am with you, but in reverse ; _;

So many pretty male characters but I feel like I haven't written a good male character in so long. So I collect them, stare longingly, and recommend 'em out to people who can use them more actively
aliasdee
pronounsShe/Her
24written posts
deenaearned bits
offlinecurrently
deena
deena Avatar
dots Avatar
Empress Yuki Avatar
female path to nowhere fcs are great and very2 pretty but sadly, i am shit at playing female. bye bye female fcs ;;;

So many pretty male characters but I feel like I haven't written a good male character in so long. So I collect them, stare longingly, and recommend 'em out to people who can use them more actively
it's so interesting, i also can't play male characters properly to save my life. in my case, i was a very uncultured youngin who always held that mentality of "i'm a girl, why would i play a guy? that's stupid lol" so i never bothered trying to play male characters. obviously i've outgrown that goofy mentality, but to this very day i can't play male characters well at all even though i really want to. they either get abandoned or scrapped all together. :sob:

also love the devi hover, she is bae
kmsdvlajvkefk
pronounsshe/her
1,348written posts
offlinecurrently
Part of the Furniture
deena Avatar
dots Avatar

it's so interesting, i also can't play male characters properly to save my life. in my case, i was a very uncultured youngin who always held that mentality of "i'm a girl, why would i play a guy? that's stupid lol" so i never bothered trying to play male characters. obviously i've outgrown that goofy mentality, but to this very day i can't play male characters well at all even though i really want to. they either get abandoned or scrapped all together. :sob:

My personal experience was from a mental block. I imagine itโ€™s different for everyone, but in case my perspective can help:

Im cis female but growing up, i was negatively impacted by how media portrayed women. Like everyone, i grew to hate pink and all feminine. I like action and heroism. I watched mecha and shounen shows, admired them guys. I related to them more. I hated shoujo and romance bc it was boring and weak, and i was taught by media that thatโ€™s what women are like and we are being made fun of it.

I only rpes guys for many years and though i dabbled in writing women, i struggled a lot. I once wrote a story as a kid with a leading female but she was kind of self-insertish. I couldnt write a woman that was just a person.

But a couple of years ago, i got into a song of ice and fire and catelyn and sansaโ€™s povs in particular just opened my mental block on portraying and writing women. Catelyn represented a mother and sansa was your lady. But i liked them the way they are. I was intrigued by the way they were and wanted to know more. I empathized with them. It wasnโ€™t that i didnโ€™t think women could just be like a flawed person but just as it was media who harmed my young mentality back then, it was also someoneโ€™s portrayal that undid it.

And even since, iโ€™ve just been happily writing so many women. And learning i an really into non gender-confirming and role reversal stuffs helped a lot too. It can be buried in our exp, as well as preference.

Itโ€™s fun learning about yourself!
pronounshe/him
734written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
deena Avatar

My personal experience was from a mental block. I imagine itโ€™s different for everyone, but in case my perspective can help:

Im cis female but growing up, i was negatively impacted by how media portrayed women. Like everyone, i grew to hate pink and all feminine. I like action and heroism. I watched mecha and shounen shows, admired them guys. I related to them more. I hated shoujo and romance bc it was boring and weak, and i was taught by media that thatโ€™s what women are like and we are being made fun of it.

I only rpes guys for many years and though i dabbled in writing women, i struggled a lot. I once wrote a story as a kid with a leading female but she was kind of self-insertish. I couldnt write a woman that was just a person.

But a couple of years ago, i got into a song of ice and fire and catelyn and sansaโ€™s povs in particular just opened my mental block on portraying and writing women. Catelyn represented a mother and sansa was your lady. But i liked them the way they are. I was intrigued by the way they were and wanted to know more. I empathized with them. It wasnโ€™t that i didnโ€™t think women could just be like a flawed person but just as it was media who harmed my young mentality back then, it was also someoneโ€™s portrayal that undid it.

And even since, iโ€™ve just been happily writing so many women. And learning i an really into non gender-confirming and role reversal stuffs helped a lot too. It can be buried in our exp, as well as preference.

Itโ€™s fun learning about yourself!
so i'm not going to say i never could write women, but. I was discouraged from doing so due to how the RPC, especially in the animal and Pern and Kingdom Hearts genres I played in, treated female characters. There was this attitude that if you only wrote girls, you were a Bad RP'er, but if you only wrote boys, you were Amazing. It was a sick, twisted, misogynistic environment. I remember people saying things like "female characters are pointless" and "female characters are all mary sues." It was. Extremely fucking gross.

At one point I broke down and had such a strong backlash to the misogyny that I was raised in, I couldn't write anything but women for a while. I'd have maybe one male character I liked, and then everything else had to be a woman. I couldn't do it anymore. I wouldn't do it anymore.

I'm more balanced now (i don't count my ratios but I play a few men on the animal RP site and a few men in Warcraft), but man. For a while there I just wouldn't write men out of spite. And what broke me out of it was getting into media where women were actually written well, and also playing in less misogynistic settings. Basically, writing with transfems saved my RP life, pass it on.
last edit on Feb 14, 2024 1:00:34 GMT by illidan main

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Aki
pronounsAny
4,159written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
As a recently open transboi, I have a huge unbalanced dumpster of boys with an occasional girl. I don't really know why. I find most of the female fcs to be quite beautiful and would be fine playing them, I just feel like I don't have enough appropriate attitude? I want to portray every character I play to the fullest extent of who they are, but I really find it hard to identify with any of the girls... T.T Maybe this will change in time when I'm wholly comfortable and safe being a male. until then, the females will be a like 1/10 ratio.