aliastanzaku, tanz, tan-tan, egao, protag, chapel, tbotc
pronounsshe/her
1,325written posts
offlinecurrently
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
Part of the Furniture
BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS Avatar
emotional over wallace event/alt
i feel like this is an age-old discussion but somehow it isn't here?

so what goes into your mind picking fc's and all that? 

to be honest, when i was young like 10 years old (literally) i make characters based on fc's. and i was obsessed with suikoden back then so my first cast was based on them :)) and i did still utilize them years and years later...and i did change the fc's eventually for SOME. well, for one so far. 

afterward, i think i just used fc's that i liked, ESPECIALLY from series i like. it's still true today, but i do lean more on using fc's that aren't "picture perfect." it's funny but i think animanga fcs portray "normal" people better than rl fc's because you know, rl fc's are typically good-looking people. not only that, animanga can portray emotions without it being cringe irl. anime's just good, gotta hand it to it. of course, the downside is not a lot of diversity...

i also used to struggle rping women! but really, it's all just a mental block when you have internalized sexism and surrounded by media that makes fun of feminine attributes assigned by corporations - 

but now i play lotsa of them! and i don't struggle looking for fcs! you gotta thank gacha for making art for unpopular characters lmao. looking at you fire emblem!!

my fav fcs are definitely gnc's. i did find out that the term where i like women in suits and men in dresses is role roversal so it hcecks out :))) i also just love fcs with average-looking features and clothes are realistic/practical as they can be. i avoid blond hair because sometimes i feel like i play into the blond hair trope when i end up choosing some traits... or maybe it's just too over-represented. i did still just use a blond-haired char. but because i thought the fc had grey eyes in fanarts! but no, it's usually blue and i was immensely disappointed... i love grey eyes... 

so ye, ramble away abt how you choose your fc's and what your favs are
last edit on Oct 3, 2023 3:23:16 GMT by BIG SHOUTOUT BOOBS
local boogeyman
aliasbex, jeepers cats
pronounsshe/any
725written posts
sister ghoulearned bits
offlinecurrently
sister ghoul
Part of the Furniture
sister ghoul Avatar
they pull the axe out your face and say "was it the boogeyman?"
always bullies me bc I have a habit of using all of the notable characters from the same animanga, dogs: bullets and carnage. I just think the art is stunning. So I use dogs: bullets and carnage faces a lot. But in general I definitely lean more towards older characters, and I wish we had more options for middle aged characters who actually look middle aged. 

i also used to be one of those rpers who couldn’t write women to save my life; and I think you’re on to something . I struggled a lot with internalized misogyny, and it definitely bled over into my writing. While I have no problems with writing women now, I definitely tend to lean towards male characters; as I have a habit of adopting people’s shitty dads for plots. But for fcs I tend to go for overall, I have this unfortunate habit of picking obscure/less popular fcs largely bc I tend to skew towards older, male characters over all. some of my favorites are Mihai Mihaeroff, Angelika Einsturzen, Badou Nails, Magato Fuyumine and Giovanni Rammsteiner from Dogs: Bullets and Carnage, Reaper/Gabriel Reyes from Overwatch, Coyote Starrk from Bleach, Kishibe from CSM, Hohenheim from FMA, Nicolas Brown from Gangsta and so on.

I firmly believe a lot of it has to do with their age and the lack of art for some of them- especially for fcs like Kishibe. Personally I can’t understand how a popular character from a popular anime series has such limited art (especially with him being depicted as older. I see a lot more art for him when he was a younger man and I want to scream). If they were younger I can almost guarantee that they would have more art. And I understand that they’re not always the main character, but I feel like that isn’t as much of a problem as it is that they’re just physically older. 

people want me to always play their shitty dads but do we have art for them? Not nearly enough as I’d like tbh. 

pronounshe/him
881written posts
Desmond Milesearned bits
offlinecurrently
Desmond Miles
Part of the Furniture
Desmond Miles Avatar
we will have peace at any cost
My first rp characters were animals, but then also, they were my neopets LOL so when I made the jump from neopets to forums, at the time I was just looking for the closest approximations to what I felt my neopets would look like as people. And when I started making OCs not based off my neopets, again I just either kept picking approximations to what I wanted them to look like.

OR, I would just use FCs from series that I personally liked and had engaged in. And for the most part, that has stayed pretty true. Granted, it's easier than ever now to find a FC, with art and graphics to go with them if you know where to look. Things have really changed since the days of going onto photobucket and searching "[colored hair] anime [gender]" and seeing what pops up (mainly re-colors of the same art over and over again lmao).

Now serving!
Dark Empress
aliasYuki
pronounsshe/her
398written posts
Empress Yukiearned bits
offlinecurrently
Empress Yuki
Empress Yuki Avatar
Do you think we can be just like you?
My choice of fc has always been geared towards men. Doesn't matter if its from gacha game, webnovels, anime or manga, I'll gobble them all up. Sad to say, the same cannot be said with female fc. I have always been shit at writing female characters, so its why I never use any female fc despite some of them (like ptn fcs) are dead drop gorgeous.
Tidal Wave
aliasAkira, Tsunami, Tsu, Blue, Aki, Kazzie
pronounsAny
4,134written posts
AkiraTsunamiearned bits
offlinecurrently
AkiraTsunami
Part of the Furniture
AkiraTsunami Avatar
I've got a hurricane in my head, I can't feel a thing, but it's better than dead
Most of my fc choices rely on things that I find aesthetically pleasing. I almost always choose #thebois but a rare female presence does occur from time to time. My favorite "type" I suppose seems to be pretty much anything with multi-colored hair or heterochromia. I like vivid colors and pretty faces I guess. Nijisanji has been a black hole of fcs for me.

aliasNwah
pronouns¯\_(ツ)_/¯
239written posts
Noireearned bits
offlinecurrently
Noire
Spring '21 Dev Completionist
Noire Avatar
No cracks, no breaks; no mistakes
My FC choices have gone through three big phases: Filling Gaps, Average Vault Hunter, and now I'm in my Future Canvas arc.

To start, I knew my art was bad, so I leaned into the highly customizable nature of it as a positive trade-off: simple portraits to git gud, with one or two specific traits to help fill out census gaps or underrepresented factions/races. Things like elves with darker-toned skin, an overly enthusiastic dwarven lass, or a Just a Dude with a specific scar. Straightforward, just unlikely to exist in that combination.

After that, I became more comfortable with the basics and wanted to try out newer and weirder things, almost specifically just because I could - I was also playing on more scifi boards than feudal fantasy at this time, so my pointy ears and twirling horns were traded in for cybernetic eyes and mechanical hands. I didn't draw as many portraits here, but they were definitely more over-the-top as I got into the visual storytelling side of it, often adding a detail just to see how it'd look and thinking up a back-justification to keep it later. Still wouldn't call anything from this era good, mind, but it was invaluable experimentation all the same.

I've almost circled back to the first phase recently, where it's more "plain" people who just have a couple identifying traits and room to grow. I'm more interested in the change over time now, where instead of giving my characters a scar and backfilling a reason for it, I'm going to give other people a reason to give mine one and work towards it.

.... Also, the only FC I have ever used in my entire life is Tristan from that one Fate series I still haven't seen and never will, and only then because I keep trying to write against this manipulative, self-centered flirty archetype, but it never sticks. So screw it, I am the egomaniacal Wanted Ad boyfriend now Still planning to draw something One Day™ and silently switch it outyou know, one daymaybethis century
Sorojin's Labyrinth
139written posts
Stallasearned bits
offlinecurrently
Stallas
Stallas Avatar
ACT IV: HOOLIGAN TALES
What character I make / FC I use depends mostly on the site, I don't reuse.
Play male or female, just depends on which the site has less of.
Ideally I have the space to go unusually young (teens, preteens) or older (thirties and above), also because it tends to be what is less played (the golden middle twenties is hot rn).

My favorite FCs are those with memorable traits though I don't get to use them much, e.g. eyebags, bushy eyebrows, closed-eye look, spectacles, uneven teeth/fangs, sanpaku eyes, hair with unique silhouette, religious veils...

But in the end even a 'mainstream' FC like someone from Genshin can look very different depending on artstyle. Sometimes one artist gives an FC a very different look that matches the setting well.
the narrative
aliasCel, Nightlock
pronounsShe/They
704written posts
CELearned bits
offlinecurrently
CEL
Part of the Furniture
CEL Avatar
mankind, be vigilant; we loved you.
i think the biggest, like, commonality in all the fcs i use — or more specifically, the art i like using — is that i tend to veer away from styles that appear too moe/cutesy/Too Pretty, even (or especially tbh) for fcs in media that relies on that kind of art style (i.e. genshin, idolmaster, etc.) idk, it just never jived with me even if i love the designs. i take a long time finding art of an fc i rlly like because of that particular gripe. i've fc changed a bunch of old characters who had fcs with primarily That Specific Art Style for that reason. 

(which is rlly funny given one of my all time favorite OCs is a venti fc LMAO)

at the same time though, at least for male characters, i find that i'm not too fond of characters that look Too(TM) conventionally masculine, or has muscular features. sharper features also tend to be a miss for me more than i'd like. i usually tend to choose fcs that look attractive, but not too overbearingly so — if that makes sense? and a lot of it rlly goes into the art style. you can easily make me adore, or be mid, on an fc depending on the art style. i like the more illustrative art styles, since i personally prefer how they look in crops. i also think they scream personality a lot more but that's my personal Hot Take(TM).)

generally a lot of my characters && fcs i choose for them feel like they could fall in mid to late 20s, and these days i rlly do prefer finding fcs for dark skinned poc, which can be,,,,, difficult when you rp animanga since animanga poc fcs tend to be in short supply and/or not hit as well. i love designs like mel medarda (arcane), pan (stray gods), and human marshall lee (fionna and cake) (the latter sparking SO much joy for me in a design and fc level honestly its unreal) but finding art for western characters tends to be more hit-or-miss than many standard animanga fcs orz.

coming soon.
no angel
alias██████
pronounszimzala/bim
171written posts
ace.earned bits
offlinecurrently
ace.
ace. Avatar
I took a little piece of your heart, don't hate me.
for male/female characters:
pretty/elegant/feminine
long hair (usually white)
bold eye colors so i can abuse the saturation slider/color selection when i make gfx. red's always fun.
favorite fcs in this category have been uhh rosa & gladiia from arknights

for female specifically:
i like writing andro/masc women.
sooo fcs that hit that androgynous/gender blender vibe work well for me too (think arlecchino, kenma, oberon who i've yet to actually use but as soon as a proper site opens i will... :clenching fist:). but i also like women who look kinda feral? e.g. fairy knight **tristian, most arknights girlies...selen tatsuki with the right artist. there's this one blonde fgo woman i can't think of right now, but she definitely counts. etc.
last edit on Oct 18, 2023 4:37:08 GMT by ace.
aliasfee-fee
pronounsshe/her
29written posts
❝ coffee & teaearned bits
offlinecurrently
❝ coffee & tea
❝ coffee & tea Avatar

I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but i kind of recycle my fcs. I first started using them, like, 2010, when I first started rping, and, generally, they're all fcs of series I cherish or anime/manga that have a place in my heart. I have expanded my portrayal database a little since then to include other notable series(like Arknights and Idolmaster) but it's mostly because I find the fcs extremely gorgeous, and specific fcs are also reserved for certain niches in my head, too.

I think I do have a penchant/love for female fcs with pig-tails, bows, and/or braids for some reason, but it really just depends on the archetype of the character I'm going for. Some of my favourites include:

- usagi tsukino from sailor moon
- aerith gainsborough from final fantasy
- reimu from touhou
- taiwan from axis powers
- miku hatsune from vocaloid
- kequing from genshin impact
- sheeta from castle in the sky

but i also really like a certain aesthetic for my tsun/goth girl, in which I've noticed, that her hair always has to be purple or black? like, for example, I use rei hino from sailor moon or raven from teen titans on repeat for this specific type of character.

I very rarely will play/pick up a guy character, but if I do, I lean towards a specific archetype/personality there, too (like Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha, Byakuya from Bleach, etc.)
last edit on Oct 22, 2023 14:43:50 GMT by ❝ coffee & tea
pronounshe/him
730written posts
illidan mainearned bits
offlinecurrently
illidan main
Part of the Furniture
illidan main Avatar
I try to avoid overused or extremely popular FCs. I started using Dev Patel before he blew up in the RPC, and I guess I do use Soyeon, but I don't use any real popular animanga FCs because I tend to dislike the look of them. I like animanga FCs with unique or interesting art styles, and I tend to prefer more gritty styles to the more gacha game styles. Favorite sources tend to be Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Darkest Dungeon, League of Legends, and old school anime of various flavors.

avatar and hover by phobic art, commissioned for me